Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Sky-/Kaby Lake Hyper-Threading broken on all distros
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel Sky-/Kaby Lake Hyper-Threading broken on all distros

TionTion Member
edited June 2017 in General

Hyper Threading of the Skylake and Kaby Lake platform on all distros is broken and can lead to spurious errors, such as application and system misbehavior, data corruption, and data loss.

All versions of these platforms are affected including desktop, embedded, mobile, HEDT and server processors such as Xeon v5 and Xeon v6.

More on the topic and available fixes:
https://paste.debian.net/hidden/828bdbe5/

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Seems like we'll have to spend some hours re-flashing it all. Nice.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • RodneyRodney Member

It was fun figuring out how to get that microcode update into ESXi (I used the quick method in this vmware blog post).

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Holy damn. We have seen issues with CentOS 6 with 2240v4 or v2 cant recall. CPU would suck and we had to reboot nodes. Could this be related?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It doesn't affect E5, E3 and the family including i3,i5,i7

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • RodneyRodney Member

@MikePT said:
    Holy damn. We have seen issues with CentOS 6 with 2240v4 or v2 cant recall. CPU would suck and we had to reboot nodes. Could this be related?

The post says it only affects Skylake/Kabylake, v4 is Broadwell and v2 is Ivy Bridge.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Clouvider said:
    Seems like we'll have to spend some hours re-flashing it all. Nice.

2 words: have fun.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I moved this to General because I think it's not really offtopic and non-logged-in users won't see it otherwise.

• Too bad that some people wont get enough sleep now.

• Tried to ask OVH about their stance/updates on this bug. So far all I got was a bunch of baloney and this very questionable sentence:

Dear Customer

>

Does ovh own or support Kaby Lake Platform : NO

Kind Regards

Apparently they rent out servers with completely unsupported cpu platforms.