Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSCorner - Low I/O, bandwith and extensive downtime - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSCorner - Low I/O, bandwith and extensive downtime

13»

Comments

• @Jack said:
    You should go into more detail that just 'kernel panic' as that sounds like B.S ...

I've already said that it was primarily down to a VZKernel issue and DDoS. More information will be released today but for now thats what I have. We know who was DDoSing us and will be dealing with it in the coming days.

• What DC do you use in Moldova?

• Moldova data transfer is just damn right weird. I can never pull more than 1Mbps on cachefly, but all other tests from Europe etc are fine.

Overall its a good location for those that live nearby and those that need bulk bandwidth at the right price, but i cant see us putting up more nodes there.

• krokro Member

@VPSCorner You guys will recover just fine. I love the support over there. +1 from me anyways hehe.

• krokro Member

Nice looks like its all back up (just got an email stating so)

• To answer @Jack's question, I will publish the e-mail from @VPSCorner in here.

"

VPSCorner

After resorting to hiring out on hand techs to help assist with the issues, We have now got everything resolved this morning as promised. :)

All is back online an we are applying credit to all thoses impacted by downtime, Please contact us in the event we missed your account out. Sure covered 100% of clients on servers which were effected.

We apologize for the downtime an was asked by few people for an exact reason rather than just kernel panic, Well it was down to using vzkernel 042stab078.26
    which was vun to a Local DOS expliot which caused crash of system the offending vps kept triggering crash before we could take action thus the kernel was just ripped out although reboots was done
    before new kernel was fully installed, Thus the none bootable issue we had.

This was all fixed an grub reinstalled on all nodes, and kernels updated to newest. It was a ddos that we mitigated then user bought a vps to local dos. While trying to solve that.
    things was messed up as explained above an 3 nodes was unavailable, ALL Other nodes was un effected.

We can only apologize for the downtime an apply credit for downtime, We took a big hit in cost hiring out techs; But we did so to ensure we got all nodes back online with 0 data loss#

We are deeply sorry for any downtime caused an hope the 1 month credit for the 24 hours+ downtime is someway a part to apologize for this.

Regards,
    VPSCorner Support
    "

• @Jack said:
    Why didn't they patch it when it was released?

I'm sure you also haven't patched everything if we utilize the weekend to probe your network.

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited July 2013

@VPSCorner said:
    I'm sure you also haven't patched everything if we utilize the weekend to probe your network.

>
    As you have noticed, I'm not worlds biggest fan of DotVPS. But I do believe @Jack might be on track with the latest updates on the kernel. That's the reason they're under maintenance a lot.

• @Jack: I'm counting the little 3 mins maintenance too. ;-))

• @DennisdeWit said:

We're normally on the ball and patch anything and everything, we've even contributed to Solus before. I dont know why this wasn't patched but I'll look into it, as far as I'm aware it was just those three nodes that were missed for whatever reason.

@Jack said:
    I am on about publicly known exploits here.. so if we utilize the weekend to probe your network. doesn't really apply.

I don't know why you're in this thread in the first place. You have a habbit of lurking everyones threads and commenting. I recall issues a few months back and we spotted a trend in your commenting as well as a few other things. For the sake avoiding slander remarks I won't make any further comments but we do know a thing or two about dotvps and it's involvement with various shenanigans that have gone on in the months past.

We deal with DDoS very swiftly and act accordingly, why do you think people resort to local exploits.

• @VPSCorner: Let's make this clear: nor the both of you provide a reliable service to me. I already made that clear to DotVPS and I strongly dislike 24h+ downtimes. The only thing you did, DotVPS didn't, was crediting your customers a free month, which is a good thing of you.

However, DotVPS did a great thing too: being connected to customers a lot better than you did. You've been away for several hours. So. Which of you did a better job? I honestly don't know. By the way, 'and' should be spelled with a 'd' to the end. I always received mails saying 'an', whatever that may be :-))

@Jack and @VPSCorner shouldn't discuss each other services. If @VPSCorner dislikes DotVPS, he needs to go to the DotVPS-topic. If @Jack doesn't like VPSCorner, it should be posted in this topic.

I even had to switch over a full server to the superfast MisterHost (thank God, finally a decent provider). I can recommend Misterhost's 512 MB for the LEB-prices (5 EUR per month).

Am I willing to tarnish both of your reputations, as @Jack mentioned earlier? Nope, I weighted the pro's and cons this time. And even, I'm complimenting an other services. That the name of that service is none of yours, is just my matter :)

@Spirit: maybe we should lock this post for now. Before we're getting into a backfire between @Jack and @VPSCorner.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    VPSCorner: Let's make this clear: nor the both of you provide a reliable service to me. I already made that clear to DotVPS and I strongly dislike 24h+ downtimes. The only thing you did, DotVPS didn't, was crediting your customers a free month, which is a good thing of you.

However, DotVPS did a great thing too: being connected to customers a lot better than you did. You've been away for several hours. So. Which of you did a better job? I honestly don't know. By the way, 'and' should be spelled with a 'd' to the end. I always received mails saying 'an', whatever that may be :-))

Jack and VPSCorner shouldn't discuss each other services. If VPSCorner dislikes DotVPS, he needs to go to the DotVPS-topic. If Jack doesn't like VPSCorner, it should be posted in this topic.

I even had to switch over a full server to the superfast MisterHost (thank God, finally a decent provider). I can recommend Misterhost's 512 MB for the LEB-prices (5 EUR per month).

Am I willing to tarnish both of your reputations, as Jack mentioned earlier? Nope, I weighted the pro's and cons this time. And even, I'm complimenting an other services. That the name of that service is none of yours, is just my matter :)

Spirit: maybe we should lock this post for now. Before we're getting into a backfire between Jack and VPSCorner.

Agreed, the last thing we want is an old school western showdown ^_^

Anyway, I hope your VPS works out for you :) the an emails depends on who is emailing you and how much of a rush we're in getting them out :P.

Enjoy your weekends, even @jack ;)

• @jack malicously making drives fail? did you ever run the second fsck?

• @Jack said:
    I hope you have a nice weekend too, hopefully it isn't filled with the effects of people attacking your website & maliciously making drives fail like mine probably will be. And yet I'm still the one being painted as a suspect.

I'll look into it.

• Meant to quote the entire comment, im on a mobile device :)

• SpiritSpirit Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    Spirit: maybe we should lock this post for now. Before we're getting into a backfire between Jack and VPSCorner.

A bit late, but Closed - per thread starter's request.

This discussion has been closed.