Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a simple way to quickly encrypt files to be uploaded into storage VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

a simple way to quickly encrypt files to be uploaded into storage VPS ?

qtwrkqtwrk Member
edited June 2017 in Help

Hi,
I'm trying to backup all my files to a storage VPS , but I do have some concern about privacy.
so I am looking for a way to encrypt the files before I upload them.

for now my best idea is use WinRAR to compress it and set a password for it.
but compression is taking a lot of times as my current computer is not that powerful, I have about 700 GB files, mostly are videos , photos and documents, to be stored.

so I really really need a quicker way to do that.

is there any application can do that ?

I need a way to do that locally , instead of setting up some encryption system in VPS, if it is possible...

Comments

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited June 2017

I like to use rclone SFTP (https://rclone.org/sftp/) with rclone crypt https://rclone.org/crypt/ with a a jailed SFTP user

It's a simple 3 minute set up and works really well.

Or if you want to continue with RAR-ing, you can just disable the compression and use the store mode. JPGs and MKVs are mostly compressed already.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited June 2017

You can try to use Duplicati 2 , it automates exacly what you are trying to do, has compression/encryption/deduplication and can use vss snapshots.
    Just be carefull with the fact that it is still experimental, it worked wonderfully for me so far, but experimental backup software is something you need to be carefull with anyway.

Also, do not expect 700GB uncompressible backup to be fast, it is going to take some time, regardless of software you are going to use.

• Use StableBit on Windows. You can mount for example FTP as a drive. All Uploads to this drive will be encrypted if you use StableBit the right way.

• @Gamma17 said:
    You can try to use Duplicati 2 , it automates exacly what you are trying to do, has compression/encryption/deduplication and can use vss snapshots.
    Just be carefull with the fact that it is still experimental, it worked wonderfully for me so far, but experimental backup software is something you need to be carefull with anyway.

Also, do not expect 700GB uncompressible backup to be fast, it is going to take some time, regardless of software you are going to use.

Plus one for Duplicity, easy to use.

And it is based on rsync on backend.

• qtwrk said: but compression is taking a lot of times as my current computer is not that powerful

You could set the compression level to lowest. It won't reduce the size of your files, but it will also use a lot less compute power.

• +1 for rclone with rcyrpt. zipping/archiving takes twice the space and more time.