Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean Object Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean Object Storage

perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
edited June 2017 in Providers

Looks pretty cool, not sure what the pricing is like: https://www.digitalocean.com/products/storage/object-storage/

With this they have the full essential IaaS feature set.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Comments

• 1TB FREE huh?

• Yet I'm waiting for early access on High CPU plan.

• YuraYura Member

DOOS? huh

• Any idea on what the pricing will be?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Aluminat said:
    Yet I'm waiting for early access on High CPU plan.

Different teams working on these so one won't delay the other, no worries :)

It'll be nice to have this one added to what amounts to a solid feature lineup collectively. One of the features people usually think of as being part of a cloud hosting service. I think having those in place paves the way for stronger improvements to the droplet itself. Though that's just me speaking generically in reference to the product from a customer facing perspective, not a statement about anyone's priorities.

@fourzerofour said:
    Any idea on what the pricing will be?

Not yet. I would wager purely from a customer perspective, having no inside knowledge on that subject, that it will be competitive against Amazon and more expensive than Backblaze. Following DO pricing trends publicly (snapshot storage, block storage) this would be a safe bet. (Honest about no inside knowledge. Even if it's available to me this isn't something I know yet)

• niknik Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

I would guess it will be $0,02 / GB to make it profitable across multiple locations. $0,01 is not really doable for now, if you calculate the hardware, dev and support time.

Edit: Changed EUR to $ ;-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@nik said:
    I would guess it will be $0,02 / GB to make it profitable across multiple locations. $0,01 is not really doable for now, if you calculate the hardware, dev and support time.

DreamHost's object storage ranges between $0.0146 and $0.0238 per GB/mo prepaid, or $0.025 PAYGO.

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/storage/ (prepaid at the bottom of the page)

It would be nice if DOOS is S3-compatible.

@Nekki this DOOS product's marketing seems to be tailored especially for the LowEndTalk market in the Netherlands. @jarland will DO be using similar theming for marketing efforts in other regions? Perhaps Core Unlimited Network Topography or something for the US.

Thanked by 1Amitz
    edited June 2017

raindog308 said: will DO be using similar theming for marketing efforts in other regions? Perhaps Core Unlimited Network Topography or something for the US.

I do believe that this would be an effective marketing strategy, if the goal is generating interesting discussion. I'm not particularly certain that discussion would be pleasant :P

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:

raindog308 said: will DO be using similar theming for marketing efforts in other regions? Perhaps Core Unlimited Network Topography or something for the US.

I do believe that this would be an effective marketing strategy, if the goal is generating interesting discussion.

Given the PR bullshit you had to deal with because some blue haired wonder had a tantrum over being kicked from the DO IRC.... >_>

Francisco

Francisco said: Given the PR bullshit you had to deal with because some blue haired wonder had a tantrum over being kicked from the DO IRC.... >_>

Weird, never heard about that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:

Francisco said: Given the PR bullshit you had to deal with because some blue haired wonder had a tantrum over being kicked from the DO IRC.... >_>

Weird, never heard about that.

Happened last year I think, all I could think was "You poor spoiled child. You'd hang yourself if you ever came to #frantech".

Francisco

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
    edited June 2017

did anyone else get this early access email for object storage?

• sinsin Member

dragonballz2k said: did anyone else get this early access email for object storage?

Yeah I just got the e-mail, I didn't even know I had a DO account.

• got email too

• NekkiNekki Veteran

So DO have finally got on the ball by naming a product after female genitalia following in the traditional of OVH (hubic, Polynesian for 'odd vagina'), Incero (Wable, Flemish for 'overused vagina') and Vultr (Croatian for 'bizzarely bird head-shaped vagina').

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • sullensullen Member
    edited June 2017

@Nekki said:
    So DO have finally got on the ball by naming a product after female genitalia following in the traditional of OVH (hubic, Polynesian for 'odd vagina'), Incero (Wable, Flemish for 'overused vagina') and Vultr (Croatian for 'bizzarely bird head-shaped vagina').

What kind of women do you hang out with that use their vaginas for storing objects?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sullen said:

@Nekki said:

What kind of women do you hang out with that use their vaginas for storing objects?

Disgusting ones.