Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managing multiple Servers (+20) (with solution)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managing multiple Servers (+20) (with solution)

devXedevXe Member
edited June 2017 in General

Hello,
i ordered today some new Servers (currently 26 boxes). Now im a little bit confused
about the "managing option" by some providers. Do they use any tools to manage
the mainly stuff like updating packages etc. ?

Any hint would be nice ;)

Thanks advance

Comments

• devXedevXe Member
    edited June 2017

so guys, ive founded the right solution for my problem and would like to share ;-)

https://commando.io <- is the current version, but it was open source...
    they removed all the stuff from github, but its forked in bitbucket ;)

https://bitbucket.org/doubleleft/commando/src

with installation guide... the code looks simple and nothing backdoored ;)

give it a try if you got many boxes!

//edit:
    if you try to install it.. i got some trouble with mongod

Failed to authenticate @DB with mechanism MONGODB-CR: ProtocolError: field missing/wrong type in received authenticate command

the solution for this problem will be:

open mongo client:

use admin

switched to db admin

db.system.users.remove({})

WriteResult({ "nRemoved" : 1 })

var schema = db.system.version.findOne({"_id" : "authSchema"})
    schema.currentVersion = 3

db.system.version.save(schema)

WriteResult({ "nMatched" : 1, "nUpserted" : 0, "nModified" : 1 })

use commando

switched to db commando

db.createUser(

... {
    ... user: "admin",
    ... pwd: "admin",
    ... roles: [ "readWrite", "dbAdmin" ]
    ... }
    ... )
    Successfully added user: { "user" : "admin", "roles" : [ "readWrite", "dbAdmin" ] }

Thanked by 1mxvin
  • edited June 2017

Hello @devXe

I'm the creator and founder of Commando.io and wanted to tell you that the forked version on BitBucket besides being unauthorized, is very very old and missing new features, bug fixes, and security patches. The version on BitBucket does not include our API, iOS mobile app, CLI tool as well. The unauthorized version of Commando.io on BitBucket should be avoided at all cost.

As such, I'd like to offer a promo code for you and all users of LowEndTalk good for 20% off any Commando.io plan for three months. You'll also get a free $25 credit at DigitalOcean (good for some VM's) when you signup.

Use promo code: LOWENDTALK20 (20% off any plan for 3 months)

Let me know any questions you have.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • Shilling ?

Thanked by 2WHT Lunar
  • @Junkless said:
    Shilling ?

Actually just came to help out @devXe and comment. I'm guessing you'd prefer to get Commando.io free.

• @commando_justin said:
    Actually just came to help out @devXe and comment. I'm guessing you'd prefer to get Commando.io free.

It may be old, unsupported, full of security issues but sure as hell it isn't unauthorized because it was released under an open source license. Your comment has to be taken in that context, lying to get a potential user for your paid service.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • edited June 2017

@advarisk said:

@commando_justin said:

It may be old, unsupported, full of security issues but sure as hell it isn't unauthorized because it was released under an open source license. Your comment has to be taken in that context, lying to get a potential user for your paid service.
    @advarisk said:

@commando_justin said:

Lying? lol. Think as you wish.

• PandyPandy Member

@commando_justin said:

Lying? lol. Think as you wish.

How is it unauthorized, when the fork has been made at the time when it was open source tho?

Please go into detail

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited June 2017

I am using Chef to manage a vast amount (a lot more than 20) of similarly configured servers at work. The learning curve was big, but in the end worth the effort. Puppet or Ansible are also an option.

How does Commando compare to those? Do you have any comparisons? Most of the nonstandard tools I have seen appear to scale horribly and are in very early stages. The 3 year old post on Hnews does not seem promising.

• edited June 2017

@Makenai said:
    I am using Chef to manage a vast amount (a lot more than 20) of similarly configured servers at work. The learning curve was big, but in the end worth the effort. Puppet or Ansible are also an option.

How does Commando compare to those? Do you have any comparisons? Most of the nonstandard tools I have seen appear to scale horribly and are in very early stages. The 3 year old post on Hnews does not seem promising.

The genesis for Commando.io is to be web interface first (instead of cli or api) and focus on making the experience easier for less ops savvy founders and developers. As you mentioned, Chef and Puppet have a very high learning curve, and often times require dedicated operations engineers to manage.

The market and thus options for server management and provisioning has improved significantly in the last 4-5 years since I first launched Commando.io though. Technologies such as Docker, Terraform, and Packer, really have moved the bar. With that said, Commando.io is a great option to empower less technical employees in an organization to be able to run scripts, fix fires, or interact with servers, just by logging into our web interface and clicking a few buttons. We also have an iOS application where you can run commands on servers on the go... Think that you are out at a bar and you get a PagerDuty alert. You can now run a predefined command to fix the outage:

# maybe something like?
    sudo service nginx reload
    sudo service php-fpm restart

If you are manually ssh'ing into servers to configure and provision, Commando.io will be a great fit to get you started with automation.

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • seanhoseanho Member

@devXe, I'd recommend ansible; it's quite easy to pick up and has great documentation. Not all the user-submitted modules on Ansible Galaxy are well-written, but it's really not hard to write your own roles. The client VMs only need ssh server (which you probably already have) and python.

Oh, and it is and always has been free and open-source. The only monetization is through support contracts.

• I'm using Ansible as well for about 15 servers now.

The big Pro against puppet is, that you don't need to install any client
    or extra software on your client servers, simply configure key auth on your
    client VPS and your Ansible host is good to go.

• Another vote for Ansible, it really is a very easy system to learn and has minimal requirements. Playbooks are all in git for sharing with others, and for revision control. I have it set on my master in a python virtualenv and can push that up to git so I can clone that repo on any machine I happen to be working on and have my full control environment set up in minutes.

• imokimok Member

@commando_justin said:
    the forked version on BitBucket besides being unauthorized

Was this open source?

• @commando_justin How is a fork of an open source software can be unauthorized? Please enlighten us.

I think it is more likely that you first released commando as open source, abused the contributors' work and close sourced it for profit, so they were pissed and forked it.

• LunarLunar Member

@commando_justin said:
    Hello @devXe

I'm the creator and founder of Commando.io and wanted to tell you that the forked version on BitBucket besides being unauthorized, is very very old and missing new features, bug fixes, and security patches. The version on BitBucket does not include our API, iOS mobile app, CLI tool as well. The unauthorized version of Commando.io on BitBucket should be avoided at all cost.

As such, I'd like to offer a promo code for you and all users of LowEndTalk good for 20% off any Commando.io plan for three months. You'll also get a free $25 credit at DigitalOcean (good for some VM's) when you signup.

Use promo code: LOWENDTALK20 (20% off any plan for 3 months)

Let me know any questions you have.

Dude just face it. No one wants to buy your ridiculous product, your pricing is crazy.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

+1 to ansible. I use it to manage a lot of MXroute.