Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to set up a SMTP relay service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to set up a SMTP relay service?

overclockoverclock Member
edited June 2017 in General

When WHMCS sending mails out,

Server's origin IP will show up in the details page of that mail,

so I need a SMTP relay service to protect my server from DDoS,

any guide to do this? Anyone done this before?

Appreciate any advice.:)

Comments

• Some SMTP relay providers strip the origin IP, Amazon SES comes to mind.

MXRoute does too I believe, if you're smaller volume.

Once you have a plan you can just enter the SMTP details into WHMCS.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

I have been tryinng to hide server IP in e-mail header as well.

my solution was servermx.com use it as relay to hide IP.

I tried several others but they don't really hide IP...

• @qtwrk said:

I want to build my own relay service on my own VPS , that will make my mails more secure in privacy.

What about servermx? Are they a big company? Whats your experience with them?

Appreciate the reply.:)

• overclockoverclock Member
    edited June 2017

@HackedServer said:
    Some SMTP relay providers strip the origin IP, Amazon SES comes to mind.

MXRoute does too I believe, if you're smaller volume.

Once you have a plan you can just enter the SMTP details into WHMCS.

Amazon SES , thanks for help, I will keep Amazon in mind.:)

Edit:Amazon's guide is a bit complicated, really confusing me.

• https://www.gaomingsong.com/537.html May be able to help you

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited June 2017

@overclock said:

@qtwrk said:

I want to build my own relay service on my own VPS , that will make my mails more secure in privacy.

What about servermx? Are they a big company? Whats your experience with them?

Appreciate the reply.:)

I don't know , at least website shows it is about 5 years old now.

the price is good , so is the support , i have had a issue on some configuration , I once send a support mail asking for help , and they replied and trying to help me out , last reply was 21:47 , that quite surprised me , and it is a working timetable I didn't expect.

well , my VPS was setup with Plesk , along with Postfix , after all it was quite simple to setup a reply through servermx.com.

through it seems they have very tight spam policy , i was sending myself message like "testing testing testing" and rejected as spam , lol , my bad , nothing to blame them.

but with the price , and the support i have experienced , I'd say it's very good and worth it.

if you wanna build your own relay , then you will must have one IP exposed , which means one more server you have to manager , you may wanna consider the time , and the effort , if it's worth it.

anyway , good luck on what you wanna do :)

• Try sendgrid, very easy to set up.

• @qtwrk If I build the relay service on a OVH VPS it will be fine, OVH's IP have strong DDoS protection.Thanks for the detailed reply, really helps a lot.:)

@cyberpersons Thanks.

• @netwboy said:
    https://www.gaomingsong.com/537.html May be able to help you

WOW , This helps!

• @overclock said:
    @qtwrk If I build the relay service on a OVH VPS it will be fine, OVH's IP have strong DDoS protection.Thanks for the detailed reply, really helps a lot.:)

@cyberpersons Thanks.

You can do that, but you will have to go through a lot to deliver your email to inbox these days.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I would configure it at mailserver level, so all applications running on it, do not need to be changed and you can swap a smtp relay servers with a few lines.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

+1 for SendGrid, if you want to make sure your clients are getting the e-mails then pay the few dollars for SendGrid.

• @KuJoe said:
    +1 for SendGrid, if you want to make sure your clients are getting the e-mails then pay the few dollars for SendGrid.

Yup, they used to have a free plan as well, but I can not see that on their site now .

• @cyberpersons said:

@KuJoe said:

Yup, they used to have a free plan as well, but I can not see that on their site now .

They've removed it.

• holyoholyo Member

vi /etc/sysctl.conf,net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j SNAT --to-source ovhip
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j DNAT --to-destination smtpip:25

• @holyo said:
    vi /etc/sysctl.conf,net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j SNAT --to-source ovhip
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j DNAT --to-destination smtpip:25

Will this be enough?

• williewillie Member

As people have been saying, you're going to have serious deliverability problems if you go this route. No amount of software configuration can fix that. You need to spend a lot of time building up IP reputation. This is one of those times where DIY probably isn't worth the hassle, and you should do it through a company that makes a business of it.

• HackedServerHackedServer Member
    edited June 2017

@cyberpersons said:
    Try sendgrid, very easy to set up.

Sendgrid doesn't mask the origin IP? Unless that's configurable I'm able to see the origin IPs.

Received: from originhostname.lol (originhostname.lol [x.x.x.x]) by ismtpd0004p1sjc2.sendgrid.net (SG) with ESMTP id DGFRAKgKSpSUpUgXCwBc6Q

@overclock said:
    Amazon SES , thanks for help, I will keep Amazon in mind.:)

Edit:Amazon's guide is a bit complicated, really confusing me.

Amazon's documentation is always horrible. Its not too bad, you add a domain and validate it, and then you can click a button to get SMTP credentials and use it like any SMTP relay.

• @HackedServer Ive just read half of page of the doc, feel like reading some Einstein's theory.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@overclock said:
    @HackedServer Ive just read half of page of the doc, feel like reading some Einstein's theory.

I must say I laughed when you say Einstein's theory.

• YuraYura Member

@overclock said:
    @HackedServer Ive just read half of page of the doc, feel like reading some Einstein's theory.

Well, that's relative...

Thanked by 1M66B
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

@Yura said:

@overclock said:

Well, that's relative...

lol , special relativity or general ?

• YuraYura Member

@qtwrk said:

@Yura said:

@overclock said:

Well, that's relative...

lol , special relativity or general ?

To tell the truth, I don't give a quant about that!

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • No relative. Not even on my mother's side.

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • Seconding SES, easy setup & great deliver rate

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • williewillie Member

Ole_Juul said: No relative. Not even on my mother's side.

Sister!

Thanked by 1dwtbf