Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS from Russia 1Gbps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS from Russia 1Gbps

I want to download some files on vk.com, problem i have is download speed is slow, i tested uk, us,nl,de location and none of them were good, since vk.com is hosted in Russia I want to try it.
before making any offer please make sure your server have good download speed from vk.com.

Comments

• What's your budget? Specifications? Any download link from this site that I can use to provide you the speed?

• yekta1yekta1 Member

@VPSlices said:
    What's your budget? Specifications? Any download link from this site that I can use to provide you the speed?

here is a download link:

https://cs640307.userapi.com/3/u175477339/videos/8353974291.1080.mp4?extra=eTO-PEESbzsj246RonG1i8ofx3zr84kdC0PvTuPa-2EKItlHTunOX2FBNo62hwaZKtHVagZ-G74HkQg8gxIPrMnwrHNeus42TIG_O710dhFVwax3gr8Uoz8duy2uZVhuHixs16JB6v34

it expires after a couple hour.

• bersybersy Member

yekta1 said: here is a download link:

404 not found

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Did you consider that VK throttles upload speed per user to prevent exactly what you are doing? E.g. so that videos and music play fine in realtime for users, but if someone is trying to download entire files as fast as possible, they will be throttled to not hog a lot of bandwidth.

E.g. here on a 100 Mbit home connection in Russia with direct peering to VK, I only get about 15 Mbit from your URL. But at the same time I have no problem reaching about 70 Mbit from http://speedtest.tele2.net/ which is all the way in Sweden and without private peering to my ISP.

Thanked by 2yekta1 bersy
  • wget https://cs640307.userapi.com [...]
    2% [ ] 86,986,429 14.4M/s eta 4m 46s ^

Speed is being throttled of course, tested from 1 gbps connection from Moscow, Russia.

Thanked by 1yekta1
  • yekta1yekta1 Member

@VPSlices said:

wget https://cs640307.userapi.com [...]
    2% [ ] 86,986,429 14.4M/s eta 4m 46s ^

Speed is being throttled of course, tested from 1 gbps connection from Moscow, Russia.

could you test it with aria2c, (with 5 connection)

aria2c -x5 "link"

• @yekta1

[#c777a1 304MiB/3.6GiB(8%) CN:5 DL:18MiB ETA:3m6s]^

Thanked by 1yekta1
  • chrispchrisp Member
    edited June 2017

From Vstoike/Veesp

Aria2c with 5 threads:
    [#6e1332 211MiB/3.6GiB(5%) CN:5 DL:12MiB ETA:4m47s]

And after roughly a minute it's getting slower:

[#1a1293 1.2GiB/3.6GiB(34%) CN:5 DL:4.8MiB ETA:8m15s]

Wget:

Length: 3873424235 (3.6G) [video/mp4]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

dev/null 1%[ ] 58.59M 9.11MB/s eta 7m 9s

But speed is also going down to ~950kbyte/s.

I tested Aria2c with 3 threads and as expected it is very fast in the beginning, but then slows down to 2,9Mbyte/s, so I would assume they are throttling you to roughly 1Mbyte/s per thread after a few seconds. That makes sense like @rm_ described. First few megabytes for buffer and then throttle to let you stream normally second after second. It should also save a lot of bandwidth for them, because if you open up a video and only get the first 200 Mbyte of it and then decide to not watch it you didn't waste 3.4gb more.

Thanked by 1yekta1
  • chrisp said: It should also save a lot of bandwidth for them, because if you open up a video and only get the first 200 Mbyte of it and then decide to not watch it you didn't waste 3.4gb more.

That is... not how chunk streaming/pre-fetch works, it has nothing to do with speed limit ultimately.

This limit prevents just BW abuse as it does not matter to the average streaming user, but does to downloaders - keeping insane burst capacity is even local not cheap...

Thanked by 1yekta1
  • justscheduledjustscheduled Member
    edited June 2017

I highly recommend Vscale. They have both St Petersburg and Moscow locations.

• lionlion Member

@DarudeSandstorm said:
    I highly recommend Vscale. They have both St Petersburg and Moscow locations.

Debian, thx

• hostkey also have vps in Russia, anyone recommends them?

• Orta9Orta9 Member

@cyberpersons said:
    hostkey also have vps in Russia, anyone recommends them?

100Mbps.