Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant seem to get IPv6 to work on my container?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cant seem to get IPv6 to work on my container?!

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited June 2017 in Help

Currently trying to setup a "IPv6 only" OVZ on my Host node for the "crap webhosting" project. Thought some people would prefer an ipv6 only vps to just "shared hosting" so I thought Id give this a go as I am interested in IPv6 networking anyway.

What I have done so far:

1) Setup Virtualizor (OpenVZ Master) on Ubuntu 14.xx as I am more familiar with Ubuntu rather than CentOS.

2)Added an IPv6 Pool in Virtualizor and generated 2 IPv6 adresses from Virtualizor interface using my assigned gateway and prefix /64

3) I've added one (to test) of the generated adresses to /etc/network/interfaces using the following scheme:

iface eth0 inet6 static

address xxxx:xxxx:xx:xxx:x:x:xxxx:xxxx

netmask 64

gateway xxxx::x

4) I've restarted the node

5) I've tested ping6 ipv6.google.com from host node and it worked fine.

6) I tried connecting to the OVZ with IPv6 but it would only work until I was prompted for pw and then I would get an "access denied".

7) I entered from host node using "vzctl enter ctid" and checked if somehow PermitRootLogin was disabled but it wasn't. I tried ipv6 ping from ovz but it wouldnt work. I run "apt-get update" and it wouldnt work either. OVZ container does not seem to be connected to the internet :/

8) cat /etc/network/interfaces of OVZ container gives me:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

Auto generated venet0 interface

auto venet0

iface venet0 inet manual

up ifconfig venet0 up

up ifconfig venet0 127.0.0.2

up route add default dev venet0

down route del default dev venet0

down ifconfig venet0 down

iface venet0 inet6 manual

up ifconfig venet0 add ipv6/128

down ifconfig venet0 del ipv6/128

up route -A inet6 add default dev venet0

down route -A inet6 del default dev venet0

9) Checked iptables. Nothing there either.

Any ideas?

Comments

• YuraYura Member

Your ipv6 got ColoCrossed :(

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

In virtualizor are you assigning subnets to the container or individual addresses, i suspect you need to edit the ip6 pool and tick or untick 'routed' depending on which way you are doing it.

probably worth just creating a new container after you have done that to remove any variables that trying to manually fix it might have introduced.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    In virtualizor are you assigning subnets to the container or individual addresses, i suspect you need to edit the ip6 pool and tick or untick 'routed' depending on which way you are doing it.

probably worth just creating a new container after you have done that to remove any variables that trying to manually fix it might have introduced.

Thanks I will try. Ive added seperate ips, no subnets.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ympker said: Thanks I will try. Ive added seperate ips, no subnets.

If our still stuck tomorrow give me a shout with console access details to a container and the ip6 info I will have a look, going to bed now the heat has killed me today!

Thanked by 2Ympker Clouvider