Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for deals on 8-16 core VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for deals on 8-16 core VPS

2»

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

taewoo said: Basically a LARGE computation set. I'm running quant financnce models so my servers are constantly being bombarded with high CPU usage. i.e. high permutation algorithms that take anywhere between 20s to 1min.. but shitload of them

How many days-per-month/hours-per-day/minutes-per-hour do you hammer the CPU? For example, if you only need it for 4 hours per weekday, that's around 80 hours per month => $128/mo for 36 Xeon E5-2666 v3 cores and 60 GB RAM on AWS (c4.8xlarge), which is probably cheaper than getting a dedicated server for the full month (assuming you don't need too much storage space / network bandwidth). But if it's more than 6+ hours per weekday then OVH is cheaper.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member
    edited June 2017

perennate said: $128/mo for 36 Xeon E5-2666 v3 cores

A dedicated dual e5-2666 v3 is about 25k passmark or < 3x an i7-3770 which is 30 euro/month at Hetzner. But I think those 36 "cores" are more likely vcores, i.e. hardware threads, so you're back in i7 or maybe Ryzen territory. AWS has many useful services but they're way more expensive than LET stuff.

Nocix and others have low priced large boxes (dual E5) if that's really what you require. But scaling has better long-term potential

• @qtwrk said:
    30 euro on netcup RS 4000 ?

12 core of E5 2680 v4 , 24 GB DDR4 , 120GB SSD or 960 GB SAS , raid 10.
    only downside with it is network limit , 1gbps port for share and can't occupy over 80 mbps more than 15 minutes.

Where is this offer? Cheapest I can find it is 35 euro

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited June 2017

taewoo said: Completely random but how on earth do these bare metal guys stay in business if I'm maxing out the CPU 24x7? Im not data center finance guru, but im guessing rent + electricity (i know it's much more expensive in EU than in US, for example) + overhead must be well below what they charge, but still.. havnig a hard tme understanding how they make money. If anyone knows the finances, would glad if you can point out URL or something.

Economies of scale. They get hardware cheaper by buying in bulk, they operate their own data center which drives down costs, and dedicated servers also require little to no support (because people who get them usually know what they're doing). Labor costs are also lower in Germany/France compared to the US. After a year or two, the hardware is paid off and it starts making money.

At least that's how I think it works, I could be totally wrong here as I don't work in the hosting industry.

taewoo said: Netcup page says "Root Server - combines adventages of dedicatet and virtual server". So what on earth does that mean? I'm assuming these are real cores.. not vCPU.

I just checked their ToS and you can max out the cores as much as you want - however, these are still logical and not physical cores, so even if you get 75% of the real core (which is probably optimistic), the passmark score is roughly 8500 (also there's some virtualization overhead, so realistically something around 7500-8000). Hetzner's Ryzen 1700X has a passmark score of 14600, but also costs ~20 euros more (plus one time setup fee).

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@fourzerofour said:

@qtwrk said:
    30 euro on netcup RS 4000 ?

12 core of E5 2680 v4 , 24 GB DDR4 , 120GB SSD or 960 GB SAS , raid 10.
    only downside with it is network limit , 1gbps port for share and can't occupy over 80 mbps more than 15 minutes.

Where is this offer? Cheapest I can find it is 35 euro

https://www.netcup.de/vserver/#features

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@jgillich said:

taewoo said: Completely random but how on earth do these bare metal guys stay in business if I'm maxing out the CPU 24x7? Im not data center finance guru, but im guessing rent + electricity (i know it's much more expensive in EU than in US, for example) + overhead must be well below what they charge, but still.. havnig a hard tme understanding how they make money. If anyone knows the finances, would glad if you can point out URL or something.

Economies of scale. They get hardware cheaper by buying in bulk, they operate their own data center which drives down costs, and dedicated servers also require little to no support (because people who get them usually know what they're doing). Labor costs are also lower in Germany/France compared to the US. After a year or two, the hardware is paid off and it starts making money.

At least that's how I think it works, I could be totally wrong here as I don't work in the hosting industry.

taewoo said: Netcup page says "Root Server - combines adventages of dedicatet and virtual server". So what on earth does that mean? I'm assuming these are real cores.. not vCPU.

I just checked their ToS and you can max out the cores as much as you want - however, these are still logical and not physical cores, so even if you get 75% of the real core (which is probably optimistic), the passmark score is roughly 8500 (also there's some virtualization overhead, so realistically something around 7500-8000). Hetzner's Ryzen 1700X has a passmark score of 14600, but also costs ~20 euros more (plus one time setup fee).

I havd netcup , would you please give me a benchmark script to try ?

• qtwrk said: I havd netcup , would you please give me a benchmark script to try ?

The Passmark tool only supports Windows, but I guess you could use the Phoronix Test Suite, or anything else that has 1700X results published.

• taewootaewoo Member

Looking at everyone's suggestions.. it looks like Hetzner and Kimsufi are the only one that offers real cores.. am I wrong? Is it worth chasing the real cores ? I'm guessing I'm trying to get the best computation power bang for the buck.