Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading from standard legacy Google Apps to Google Apps Education
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upgrading from standard legacy Google Apps to Google Apps Education

real4kreal4k Member
edited June 2017 in Help

This might have been asked and answered before so I do apologize in that case but I had a hard time finding information on the topic.

Suppose I have a legacy Google Apps setup on a domain with some users. Is it possible to move all the accounts + data (ideally without interrupting the flow of emails to the domain's email addresses) from one Google Apps account to another with a different legacy Google Apps account/license.

Use cases being upgrading from a 10 user account to 50 users or upgrading from a regular legacy Google Apps account to Education/Not for profit edition.

Please point me in the direction of a guide or tutorial for the same if it's possible.

I've seen the settings for transferring accounts + data via the super admin controls but I wasn't sure if a scenario like what I proposed would work. For instance, what would happen to incoming mails during the accounts transfer? Do they hit both email accounts on both the Google Apps accounts? Do some emails get lost in the process? Since the domain is the same, how to the MX entries deal with the change in accounts and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NANONANO Member

Im not 100% sure but I think this is not possible.

• You can only upgrade to Business afaik. I didn't see any options for education.

Call up their support and ask.

• pangeapangea Member

It is technically possible to migrate from on Gapps account to another Gapps account. There will be disruption in the flow of incoming mails. But your idea of migration from 10 user to 50 user or legacy apps to edu account.....might carry risk of loosing both the accounts permanently.

• hzrhzr Member

just contact google support and they will do it for you - we moved a edu subdomain from 100user legacy to join the rest of the edu domain and google handled it seamlessly

• edited June 2017

You cannot upgrade from G Suite free to G Suite for Education or Nonprofit. I have a 2000 user account for the Nonprofit and Education, please pm me, thank you so much!