Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Drive will now be able to backup your entire computer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Drive will now be able to backup your entire computer

Backup and Sync from Google is the name of the service that’s designed to “to help everyday users back up files and photos from their computers, so they’re safe and accessible from anywhere.”

Backup and Sync is the latest version of Google Drive that will work on both Mac and PC and comes integrated with Google Photos desktop uploader.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/06/backup-and-sync-from-google-available.html

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

@jamesrat said: accessible from anywhere

They're not wrong.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Hmm at what cost...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Yes, it was not enough they have your E-Mail and search, now upload your entire computer into Google.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@rm_ said:
    Yes, it was not enough they have your E-Mail and search, now upload your entire computer into Google.

Clearly he next logical step.

• 15GB is nothing for today's PCs data. People will need to pay them for breaking their privacy haha

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Not much use to me. 5 years of promises but still no fucking linux client for google drive.

• @wwabbit said:
    Not much use to me. 5 years of promises but still no fucking linux client for google drive.

https://github.com/prasmussen/gdrive

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@varunchopra said:

@wwabbit said:
    Not much use to me. 5 years of promises but still no fucking linux client for google drive.

https://github.com/prasmussen/gdrive

+1. I've used gdrive for a couple different projects, however rclone seems to handle API issues better and is generally easier to use.

But @wwabbit may have meant an "official" Linux client released by Google.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

WARNING!! - Seems new alliance with NSA + Google - Read This

• @DewlanceVPS said:

2014 is hardly new.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • ihadpihadp Member

@DewlanceVPS said:
    WARNING!! - Seems new alliance with NSA + Google - Read This

Why are you still here?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I would rather cut off all my toes and fingers before willingly giving Google a backup of my entire computer.

• This is even more interesting. And I'm waiting for this!
    https://gsuite.google.com/campaigns/index__drive-fs-eap.html

• HxxxHxxx Member

But Microsoft already has it... Yeh...

@Amitz said:
    I would rather cut off all my toes and fingers before willingly giving Google a backup of my entire computer.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @sayem314 said:
    This is even more interesting. And I'm waiting for this!
    https://gsuite.google.com/campaigns/index__drive-fs-eap.html

Imagine the spike in your network if everyone had to access all files from an external network.. every single time. It would be hard to plan for capacity with this model. (I am talking about MBs of Excel sheets and Presentations, fetching KBs of code/modules is, of course, not a concern)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

@Hxxx said:
    But Microsoft already has it... Yeh...

@Amitz said:

Nope. One of my dedicted servers has it. Encrypted. Microsoft does not exist in my small paranoid world. I could write more concerning the blatant stupidity to use Google/Microsoft for unencrypted full backups of PCs, but I have to take my medication now.

• There are lots of other providers already providing this facility but good to see Google also introduce it. :)

• @rm_ said:

More personalized advertising from Google. :)

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited June 2017

@rm_ said:

But you have a choice: to install or not.
    Unlike Yandex, for example, in Russia, you will not have a choice in 2018 at all. It's some kind of backups too, but FSB will do it for you with providers.

What about google drive, i have tested few weeks ago different apps by transferring huge amount of files to these clouds, and found out that google app most stable if compare to any other popular competitor in terms of crashes, stable and fastest download/upload speed, UI, features, etc.

Adding option for doing backup for a whole PC pretty nice feature with good price and stability. Why not?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

desperand said: But you have a choice: to install or not. Unlike Yandex, for example, in Russia, you will not have a choice in 2018 at all.

Right, because there are oppressive countries in the world, it must be somehow a justification for any kind of bad privacy invasions that corporations can do. Totally related.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's ironic because the best practice for backups is "default include, explicitly deny". You don't to be in the situation of "I added a directory and forgot to include it in my backups". You'd rather back up too much than miss something.

However, I find that for cloud backups, my policy is the opposite: default deny, explicitly include. There are many things that I don't care if some government snoop or junior sysadmin looks at...but also many things I wouldn't trust unencrypted.

I think there's a role for the dropboxes and google drives and onedrives...ok, not onedrive because it's garbage but for services that actually work, I use them but frankly it's a decision every time.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Next up: Google Recycle Bin

"Dear nekki, are you really REALLY sure you want to delete the folder 'Tentacle_archive_323'.
    We think you're drunk. "

• AmitzAmitz Member

@vimalware said:
    Next up: Google Recycle Bin

"Dear nekki, are you really REALLY sure you want to delete the folder 'Tentacle_archive_323'.
    We think you're drunk. "

"...but don't mind! We keep a copy anyway."
    Brave new world.

Thanked by 1vimalware