Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ubuntu 12.04 - any way to get updates still
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ubuntu 12.04 - any way to get updates still

AdamMAdamM Member

Hi,

I have a server that is running ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Is there any easy way to get updates for it without doing a release upgrade? I know I should probably upgrade the release, but everything is working well on the system and wondering if there is a way to still get updates?

-Adam

Comments

• ngstargatengstargate Member
    edited June 2017

EOL 2017-04-28

• sinsin Member

Nope, you have to upgrade to 14.04 or 16.04 to continue to receive updates.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AdamM: You would have to purchase Ubuntu Advantage:

https://buy.ubuntu.com/?_ga=2.64882991.1484829896.1497507851-1467323138.1475262664

Which is pricey.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

That's quite the price to pay for keeping your OS updated.

• for personal, yes it's expensive.

for corporate, nope.

since they targeting corporate, LET/LEB out

@AdamM: It would be best to be brave and to upgrade to 14.04.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Actually, why not just create a dev server, with 14.04 or whichever LTS you want to upgrade to, and test things out. Then switch over when all seems good ... ?

• DamianDamian Member

You could do-release-upgrade to 16.04. Note that a major change, among other things, between 12 and 16 will be the change from sysvinit to systemd, so a backup would be in order before doing so.

Or....

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like how RHEL doesn't do in place major distro release upgrades. Ubuntu should be treated the same way in production IMO.

@Damian said: You could do-release-upgrade to 16.04.

An upgrade from 12.04 to 16.04 is definitely not supported or recommended. In general, skipping an LTS version is not supported or recommended.

The cleanest and safest approach would be to do a fresh install, in which case better to go for 16.04 than for 14.04.

But if an upgrade, then first to 14.04 (and then decide whether to upgrade further to 16.04).