Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever used backblaze b2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ever used backblaze b2?

dwtbfdwtbf Member

Has anyone used it? Is it a good s3 replcement for small file storage (less than 200 GB)

Comments

• I use it to store backups and host a podcast. Have yet to run into any issues.

• DamianDamian Member

I've used it for many months. It's good stuff. Last year I talked shop with them about managing their Phoenix datacenter. They're good stuff. Highly recommended.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

If they'd have a european datacenter, I guess I'd use them :-D but ya

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

@Damian said:
    I've used it for many months. It's good stuff. Last year I talked shop with them about managing their Phoenix datacenter. They're good stuff. Highly recommended.

Are there any hidden fees or anything like Amazon does?

• DamianDamian Member

dwtbf said: Are there any hidden fees or anything like Amazon does?

No. Also, Amazon doesn't have hidden fees either. I'd recommend using the calculators provided by either service to determine your costs if you feel there's "hidden fees".

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Storing about 7TB there right now. Super cheap.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • dwtbfdwtbf Member

@Damian said:

dwtbf said: Are there any hidden fees or anything like Amazon does?

No. Also, Amazon doesn't have hidden fees either. I'd recommend using the calculators provided by either service to determine your costs if you feel there's "hidden fees".

Amazon once charged me $150 fee for no reason, I called amazon and they removed the fee, and explained to me it was due to "excess requests for the same file over a period of 15 minutes causing intensive server resources to be consumed"

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

@jarland said:

How much does it cost you to store it? So I'm safe to assume it's reliable for a TB+ if need

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dwtbf said:

@jarland said:

How much does it cost you to store it? So I'm safe to assume it's reliable for a TB+ if need

Last time they charged me it was somewhere around $45. My usage varies slightly so I get loose change here and there.

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • DamianDamian Member

dwtbf said: for no reason

dwtbf said: "excess requests for the same file over a period of 15 minutes causing intensive server resources to be consumed"

Not really hidden if they can explain the reason to you?

dwtbf said: How much does it cost you to store it?

It's $5 a terabyte. Incoming is free. Outgoing is $0.02/gigabyte. There's a transaction charge, but after the very large number of daily free transactions, it's still a paltry amount: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/b2-transactions-price.html

Thanked by 1dwtbf