Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MobaXterm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MobaXterm

Has anyone bought it?
I am using it since about 2 years for free atm and to be honest I am really happy with it.
It has a great feature set (even more with plugins) and smoothly integrates in my workflow. Wondering whether I should buy it finally (~ 50€) or look for a different programm with the same / similar feature set. Is there anything comparable out there I might not yet know about?

Comments

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited June 2017

I purchased it and use it daily.

Only real downside imo is the yearly renewal is rather steep.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I manage a team of 10 guys and they love it. Of 5 people I hired for that team in the last year, 3 of them asked on the first day if we used MobaXterm and were happy to discover we do.

I use Mac native tools but for Windows, there seems to be a lot of people who really like Moba in the industry. I guess I don't have a personal experience to share, but I have 10 colleagues' votes of confidence :-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

@ihadp said:

Oh it is a yearly renewal? Damn didnt see that as I assumed "Lifetime right to use" to suggerate a one time purchase.

Edit:

Aha it is only 1 year updates. If after 1 year I can keep the version of 1 year in the future from now Im totally fine as long as the session limits etc stay unlimited. I can choose to renew if an interesting update is released then^^

• Make me think of the days when we browsed forums via telnet...

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I barely use these softwares but MobaXterm has been working pretty good so far. I do not see any reason why using any other software, or purchasing another.

Regards, Armand

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ihadpihadp Member

@Ympker said:

@ihadp said:

Oh it is a yearly renewal? Damn didnt see that as I assumed "Lifetime right to use" to suggerate a one time purchase.

Edit:

Aha it is only 1 year updates. If after 1 year I can keep the version of 1 year in the future from now Im totally fine as long as the session limits etc stay unlimited. I can choose to renew if an interesting update is released then^^

Correct, apologies for the confusion.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I migrated from xshell to moba and I am satisfied with it.

• I am using XShell for like 1.5 years, and can't use anything else. It's simply great.

Tried Mobaxterm, putty, ZOC, SecureCRT, and IMO none of them came even close to XShell.

Thanked by 1sin
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2017

Tend to use RoyalTS/RoyalTSX at the moment, not sure I could be bothered to change unless there was something specifically that made some of the options presented here a lot better to use.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Moba is nice esp. that penguin screensaver

Pavin.

• sinsin Member

@williclarkam said:
    I am using XShell for like 1.5 years, and can't use anything else. It's simply great.

Tried Mobaxterm, putty, ZOC, SecureCRT, and IMO none of them came even close to XShell.

Yeah I moved to XShell awhile back and I'm super happy with it.

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • use xshell mate, mobaxterm is slow, buggy and not worth the price.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2017

I bought SecureCRT in 2004-5 (when Red Hat Linux was Red Hat Linux and SUSE was SuSe...) and it served me well when Linux desktops were an enormous PITA. Today, I think a better investment is just getting a Linux PC for dev/ops. If you must use Windows, SecureCRT is as good now as it was then :)

I just checked and they have Mac/Linux/iOS versions too. Might give them a go but it's not really necessary on Linux IMHO.

jh said: Might give them a go but it's not really necessary on Linux IMHO.

I agree. If you're on Windows and want a really nice X-windows environment with tons of bells/whistles to geek out on, macro on, etc. then it's great. But if you're using Linux, you've already got native X-windows.

X-windows? X Windows? Is it X-window. X? I can never remember, except that people who know the Correct Answer to this question are the kind of people you usually try to avoid on the Internet.

• I bought it and use it daily

• hanoihanoi Member

babun, cmder and Bitvise FTW <3

• mgilangmgilang Member
    edited June 2017

really worth. have use free version, and limited to 10 session only.
    go ahead and purchase.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Makkesk8 said: use xshell mate, mobaxterm is slow, buggy and not worth the price.

Slow? How so? Maybe it's time to upgrade your potato PC? :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @time4vps said:

Makkesk8 said: use xshell mate, mobaxterm is slow, buggy and not worth the price.

Don't say so. My potato PC works greats.

• @time4vps said:

+1 I haven't seen any bug or slowness.

• @williclarkam said:
    I am using XShell for like 1.5 years, and can't use anything else. It's simply great.

XShell is a great choice, I've used it for quite a while. I went with Moba mostly because it can handle vnc+rdp connections in the same app and for its separate tunnel tool which is much more convenient than how it was done with XShell.

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

jetchirag said: Don't say so. My potato PC works greats.

Throw a lemon in chain and start overclocking hell!