Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Credit card use to buy online.net dedibox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Credit card use to buy online.net dedibox

I'm trying to figure out how I got p0wned.

I've had an online.net account for years. Until the start of June it had 3 kedichire servers, and it now has no servers. Running through my card statement I noticed a small but unusual charge from Online.net at the start of May.

It was charged to a different card than is on my online.net account. The charge was on a different online.net account. Online.net support would only tell me that the account that charged the card was not in my name.

I think it's too much of a stretch to imagine that a randomer stole my card and then bought a service on online.net with it. Anyone have a hypothesis that makes sense?

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

squibs said: Anyone have a hypothesis that makes sense?

You got really drunk and ordered a new service under your alter-ego and don't remember doing it.

In all seriousness, I hope you get this sorted. You don't notice any other strange charges on that card? Might want to open a dispute with your credit card company.

• squibssquibs Member

@MasonR said:

squibs said: Anyone have a hypothesis that makes sense?

You got really drunk and ordered a new service under your alter-ego and don't remember doing it.

In all seriousness, I hope you get this sorted. You don't notice any other strange charges on that card? Might want to open a dispute with your credit card company.

Thanks. A new card is being issued and the transaction will be refunded. No other weirdness on the card. It's too much of a coincidence that a random skimmer would buy a niche item (server) from the same provider I use. There's got to be a connection.

• saibalsaibal Member

squibs said: Until the start of June it had 3 kedichire servers, and it now has no servers.

All kidechires were EOL'd on 01 June. Online.net gave everyone an option to upgrade to another server at a higher price range. The new server should show up on your account unless you cancelled it.

As to your CC, its possible that your card was stolen.Could you call your bank/CC issuer to raise a dispute?

• squibssquibs Member

@saibal said:

squibs said: Until the start of June it had 3 kedichire servers, and it now has no servers.

All kidechires were EOL'd on 01 June. Online.net gave everyone an option to upgrade to another server at a higher price range. The new server should show up on your account unless you cancelled it.

As to your CC, its possible that your card was stolen.Could you call your bank/CC issuer to raise a dispute?

See my original post. The charge was on a different online.net account, not in my name, but with my card (not the card associated with my online.net account).

I think it's pretty clear that my card number was stolen. The point that I'm making is that it is weird that a stolen card would be used to buy A) a dedicated server and B) out of all possible providers they chose online.net with whom I have an account of long standing.

A skimmer would buy electronics or some crap. The theft and the purchase on online.net HAVE to be connected somehow, is my point.

I'm just looking for the angle. I know the community here has seen all the tricks, so hopefully someone can explain. I think Interpol may have bigger fish to fry :-) , and online.net don't seem to care. I doubt they'll even close the fraud account. I've not lost any money, but I hate an unsolved mystery.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

squibs said: See my original post. The charge was on a different online.net account, not in my name, but with my card (not the card associated with my online.net account).

You don't remember selling an Online.net account? People sometimes do that to transfer (sell) servers to another person, because they aren't transferable between accounts otherwise. The new owner changes name/surname and other details to theirs. But you may have forgotten to remove your credit card before selling.

• I have received many complaints from online.net like they are not responding etc

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Coincidence or not it's your job to report it and let your bank and Visa or MasterCard deal with finding patterns - you pay them for it in your purchase prices. That's about it ;-).

• squibssquibs Member

@rm_ said:

squibs said: See my original post. The charge was on a different online.net account, not in my name, but with my card (not the card associated with my online.net account).

You don't remember selling an Online.net account? People sometimes do that to transfer (sell) servers to another person, because they aren't transferable between accounts otherwise. The new owner changes name/surname and other details to theirs. But you may have forgotten to remove your credit card before selling.

Thanks. That's the best hypothesis I've heard so far. However, I've categorically never sold an online.net (or any other) account.

• squibssquibs Member
    edited June 2017

@Clouvider said:
    Coincidence or not it's your job to report it and let your bank and Visa or MasterCard deal with finding patterns - you pay them for it in your purchase prices. That's about it ;-).

Thanks. Those wheels were set in motion as soon as online.net confirmed that the name on the account that charged the card wasn't mine. If it was a stolen card buying crap on Amazon, I would have forgotten about it already, but they bought a server on online.net. Something stinks and I would really like to locate the source.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • williewillie Member

Chances are the stolen card # was in some database and a spammer bought a copy of the database. Online.net is a natural place for spammers to use stolen cards.

Thanked by 2Clouvider squibs
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    Chances are the stolen card # was in some database and a spammer bought a copy of the database. Online.net is a natural place for spammers to use stolen cards.

Even better chance is that the bank has not triggered anti fraud protections since you used this card with that vendor in the past. They might have attempted to use it with Amazon but the card might have simply been rejected.

If online.net would leak CC Database, or has an error somehow allowing someone to charge another account, it would be very public and very fast.

Thanked by 1squibs
  • williewillie Member

I meant the card got into some stolen card database through some other method. Scammer gets database, finds target (online.net in this case), and tries cards one after another using the ones that work. There are measures at some places to detect this but I don't know how widely they are used.

A buddy of mine got his card (physically I think) stolen and the person used it to buy a bunch of nachos and stuff at Taco Bell. Wow.