Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlimited storage promo at SpiderOak - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unlimited storage promo at SpiderOak

2»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

From Tresorit's perspective, a comparison of cloud storage:

https://tresorit.com/cloud-storage-comparison

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@angstrom said:
    Nekki beat me to it by a matter of seconds.

I gave you a charity thanks anyway.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@raindog308 said: When I tried SpiderOak a few years ago, it was a complete RAM pig on a 2GB VPS and after a few days I killed it.

For what it's worth, the SpiderOak client has improved over the years. It's still slow compared to Dropbox's client or ownCloud's client, but it's more efficient than it used to be. (I use it on an old netbook from 2012 with 2GB RAM, and it's okay.)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@angstrom said:

I agree. However, Tresorit is pricier, and there's no unlimited plan, but they claim to be better than SpiderOak:

https://tresorit.com/business/spideroak-alternative

Depending on your level of personal paranoia, SpiderOak might be out of consideration being a US company. Tresorit are entirely Swiss-based, so at the very least give an impression of being more secure (I don't claim to know what the truth is legally).

@angstrom said:

For what it's worth, the SpiderOak client has improved over the years. It's still slow compared to Dropbox's client or ownCloud's client, but it's more efficient than it used to be. (I use it on an old netbook from 2012 with 2GB RAM, and it's okay.)

It'd have to be slower as it's encrypting as it's uploading, right?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

rm_ said: Do NOT trust unlimited storage anymore

Anymore ?

@Nekki said: Tresorit are entirely Swiss-based, so at the very least give an impression of being more secure (I don't claim to know what the truth is legally).

I guess that there are two issues: privacy laws and security:

• Tresorit fall under Swiss privacy laws, so they're better than SpiderOak in this respect.

• But Tresorit also claim to be more secure than SpiderOak, because SpiderOak is not zero-knowledge when used via a web browser or a mobile device -- it's zero-knowledge only via the desktop client. Tresorit claim to be zero-knowledge across the board.

Nekki said: It'd have to be slower as it's encrypting as it's uploading, right?

Indeed. In this sense, it's not a fair comparison: I just wanted to say that based on my experience, the SpiderOak client has improved over the years, but it'll never be as fast as a client that doesn't do encryption, such as Dropbox's.