Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4GB RAM, 30GB Storage KVM VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4GB RAM, 30GB Storage KVM VPS

jakewalkerjakewalker Member
edited June 2017 in Providers

I've been wanting to have a VPS for an application called Buddy for a while now but have never thought about it because the requirements are so high and I've never been able to find one that fits my budget. The minimum requirements listed here are:

• CPU: 2.6 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Disk: 30 GB

It should still work with (slightly) less CPU and/or Disk but not memory. It needs to be capable of running Docker so would need to be KVM and I'm looking for something super cheap around £3/$3.82/€3.42 per month but if that's too little I'd think about going higher.

UPDATE: I understand my budget is really unrealistic but as I said I'm willing to go higher

Comments

• 4GB at £3 KVM?

Sorry I know this is low end but this is a push.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    4 CPU Cores (Equal Share)
    4 GB Ram - DDR4
    80 GB Disk space  - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    3000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€12.00 p/month order link

Your budget is not even remotely realistic, any host would be selling at a significant loss to provide you with that.

Buy yourself an 8GB stick of ram for home and run it from home, even budget ram with is significantly cheaper than server ram is going to cost you £55, that's over 18 months before it even pays for itself at £3 p/month.

We need to pay salaries so people can eat, £3.00 for 4GB on KVM is just unrealistic.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FalzoFalzo Member

if you're willing to commit to a yearly contract, netcup might come close with this: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1718
    that 3,99 € include 19% german VAT, if you eventually get that deducted you're looking at ~3,35 € (40,23 € a year) in the end.

also server4you starts at 5€ - https://www.server4you.net/virtual-server (incl. VAT)
    can't comment on the quality though, I am not customer with them and there have been some changes lately, they're now part of hosteurope group for what it's worth.

if you up your budget anyways there are of course more options like OVHs SSD VPS or scaleways both at around 6 € without VAT

also have a look at the offers from @UltraVPS https://www.ultravps.eu/en/vps/?pdid=OB595E46555DO6331C64 (aff, -15% for 6 month)
    they have NL or US location too, 4GB is available from 9€ (again including german VAT, so 7,56€ without)

Thanked by 2bersy UltraVPS
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

If you are ok with a bit slower CPU - 1 core 2.1GHz unlimited usage, 6GB RAM, 120GB HDD for $5.99/mo - wishosting.com

The package is out of stock at the moment but if you create a ticket I can add it.

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

AnthonySmith said: Your budget is not even remotely realistic, any host would be selling at a significant loss to provide you with that.

Oh come on Anthony, don't ruine request threads with your x4 price offers please. I believe providers could make twice the budget offers maximum cause OP's willing to pay higher, but definately not four times, that's not right. I assume you're able to provide better services, hardware, uplinks, individual approach etc, but it means nothing when budget is announced and it's tight. I might be wrong but it's a bit annoying.

AnthonySmith said: We need to pay salaries so people can eat, £3.00 for 4GB on KVM is just unrealistic.

You can't, but big players can. You shouldn't be so adamant about this thing I guess. @Falzo have just mentioned netcup's €3,35 4GB KVM offer for example.

Thanked by 1NANO
    edited June 2017

Ok, you can't do it and provide a good quality of service, with that netcup offer your 'ram' is probably a couple of SSD's in raid0

With all the threads recently about hosts charging stupidly low amounts of money closing or failing to actually provide I think the attitude that it can be done is just damaging.

Sorry if the way I see things from my own direct experience annoys you, your idea that selling at these rates is sustainable and honest annoy me also so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

AnthonySmith said: Ok, you can't do it and provide a good quality of service, with that netcup offer your 'ram' is probably a couple of SSD's in raid0

I believe OP is a sane person and not looking for a premium provider within that budget. So it's not about the quality, but the price, we are at LET after all. Moreover netcup isn't so bad as you might think about.

AnthonySmith said: your idea that selling at these rates is sustainable

What make you think this way? Those are your words, not mine. I just think it's possible for some time at least, that's it. Nothing lasts forever after all :)

bersy said: Moreover netcup isn't so bad as you might think about.

Sure and vortexnode was voted in the top 3 here.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

bersy said: Moreover netcup isn't so bad as you might think about.

Sure and vortexnode was voted in the top 3 here.

Ha!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • racksxracksx Member

Hi, hope this would work for you.

2.4 - 3.6GHZ

RAM 4 GB

DISK 35 GB SSD NVMe

IPv4 1x IPv4 address

IPv6 Available

Traffic Unlimited

Network Port 1 Gbps

DDOS Protection Included

France - GRA - OVH Network

$3.89 per month with coupon code 35OFF

$2.99 first month with coupon code 50OFF

Order link

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2017

And lo and behold, some cunt rocks up with an offer.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

racksx said: 2.4 - 3.6GHZ

What is the CPU model?

bersy said: What make you think this way? Those are your words, not mine. I just think it's possible for some time at least, that's it. Nothing lasts forever after all :)

Right, well I suppose that is our middle ground, using pocket money hosts or those with a business plan written on a beer mat as long as your not going to throw a hissy fit when they do go down the toilet is fine.

I find it hard to treat that as a default view but perhaps that is what I should have been thinking based on the OP.

fair one.

racksx said: Traffic Unlimited

Network Port 1 Gbps

racksx said: $3.89 per month

Ok then.

• racksxracksx Member

It is E5

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

AnthonySmith said: Sure and vortexnode was voted in the top 3 here.

I'm pretty sure you know some people just vote focusing on the price alone. Even though I personally find it annoying too, it's OK since it's their right especially as we are at LET again. It takes all kinds.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Ok, you can't do it and provide a good quality of service, with that netcup offer your 'ram' is probably a couple of SSD's in raid0

of course bigger players probably also have much more options to set up specific systems/clusters to fit their needs and therefore are able to also do totally different mixes in calculations and business models.

I can't tell how netcups nodes are set up, but I agree and am quite certain that there is thin provisioning involved like KSM, balloning, large SSD swap whatever.
    point is, as long as it is done right and helps to sustain a low price while still achieving good performance I am very satisfied with it ;-)

yet my use case normally is only hosting some websites per VM and I most probably could do the same at much smaller boxes. also I am not running any stuff esp. critical on memory latency so simply can't tell or see any real world difference to VMs from other providers - if there is any at all.

after all everyone should probably define personal preferences and what 'good quality' shall be like on its own and hopefully find a provider which matches that expectations...

thanks, @Falzo makes sense, I guess my main concern is the pattern this creates that I have seen here for 7 years.

Someone finds a way to sell something through moderate deception that lowers their prices, everyone assumes that the price should be achievable by everyone, the cycle repeats over and over again until once of them goes 'pop' such as GVH, CVPS, BlueVM, VortexNode, hostrail, burst.net, I could go on.... and what is very apparent when they can't sustain service anymore is that people genuinely expected them to be able to.

IMO it's not healthy but I do accept there are use cases.

Perhaps I should look into launching a budget brand and see what I can do.

Thanked by 3Falzo bersy racksx
  • 10241024 Member
    edited June 2017

@racksx

I can not sign up for an account on your website because the registration button can not be clicked even if all the information is filled.

Thanked by 1yokowasis
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@1024 said:
    @racksx

I can not sign up for an account on your website because the registration button can not be clicked even if all the information is filled.

Don't do it.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
    4 CPU Cores Intel Xeon (Shared)
    4 GB Ram - DDR3
    20 GB SSD Disk space
    1000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address

@ $7/mth in Germany.

This isn't an instance we usually provide but if you are happy paying a little more, PM me and I can get it setup for you.

• racksxracksx Member

@1024 said:

If you place the order it should work fine.

Thanked by 1jgillich
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

Dear @jakewaker, do consider our NVMe KVM offerings in UK. Not dirt cheap, but definitely fit your requirements with performance exceeding expectations ;)

**Plan: VMH-2GB** 
      2GB DDR4 RAM + 2GB RAM @ Additional $3/Month
      2x CPU Core E3-1270v6
      30GB NVMe Disk Space
      2TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps Port
      DDoS Protection with Corero SmartWall Appliances
      1x IPv4
      1x /64 IPv6
      1x Private IP
      Daily Automated Backup
      Coupon: UKLAUNCH 10% Off Recurring
    Price: $6.30 / Month + $3 / Month for additional 2GB RAM
    Order link (UK) https://manager.vmhaus.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=31

@vmhaus he clearly stated he needs 4GB RAM and even explained why.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    @vmhaus he clearly stated he needs 4GB RAM and even explained why.

Thanks for highlighting! Fixed :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2017

Can only think of 4 scenario:

1. Limited quantity promotion. Host is just trying to be nice
    2. Host has lots of idling server and wants to cut losses by filling up, rather than get nothing
    3. Host wants you to commit yearly and run away with your money
    4. Host is bad at math and business in genera

Edit:
    5. Host wants to get as much client as possible then sell business

Thanked by 2ngstargate Yura
  • @racksx said:

@1024 said:

If you place the order it should work fine.

Please insert a newline after the quote, or your reply becomes part of it.

Thanked by 2racksx bersy
  • hzrhzr Member

AnthonySmith said: hostrail, burst.net

These two were before my time, are you bored enough to regale me with tales of hostrail and burst?