Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Method of monitoring one's CPU load?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Method of monitoring one's CPU load?

Being on a particular provider's VPS so far, I decided to buy another LEB and migrate my sites to it temporarily, for the benefit of having a SolusVM panel. So after painstakingly migrating all my backups, reinstalling my control panel, and setting up virtual domains, I let everything run as usual overnight.

Early morning on trying to open my sites, I found that none of them would open. Having some DNS woes due to personal nameservers, initially I didnt give it much thought. But when I thought of opening a ticket with my provider, to my surprise I found one from my provider, addressed to me (for a change). Apparently my VPS had been suspended for a high CPU load. I was nonplussed for a while because I had never received such a warning from MyRSK and UGVPS my previous hosts.

On contacting the provider, they were decent enough to provide me a screenshot of a graph which showed that CPU spikes on the VPS were occuring at a regular frequency of 4 hours. Because I had a cron job scheduled for every 4 hours, I could immediately address the issue and disable a job which regularly checked for and downloaded Wordpress plugin updates from wordpress.org, via a perl script. Thitherto, I'd never thought of checking scripts for CPU load.

So, coming to the topic proper, what are the methods of monitoring for CPU load on one's container in an OpenVZ and KVM system? What methods due you use to keep track, and possibly notify yourself when your container uses excess CPU load? The methods I know of include uptime, and the SolusVM graphs. But when many providers do not have SolusVM, is there an alternate systematic approach to monitoring CPU load?

Thanked by 1DalComp

Comments

• How big were the spikes?
    The provider shouldn't give you access to CPU cores you're not supposed to use.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited July 2013

You should install webmin and configure an alert on the status tool they have. Then enable the schedule every 2 minutes to check for load, free memory, disk space etc. email alerts to yourself and your cell. also lock down the webmin port to your home IP (iptables) and enable force webmin SSL

http://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/SystemAndServerStatus

• @bdtech said:
    You should install webmin and configure an alert on the status tool they have. Then enable the schedule every 2 minutes to check for load, free memory, disk space etc. email alerts to yourself and your cell. also lock down the webmin port to your home IP and force SSL

That sounds like a good option. But my control panel is an open source panel named i-mscp. I'm rather comfortable with it, and would prefer to use it if possible. Does anyone know how to implement something similiar to how webmin does it?

@Jack said:
    joelgm is that VM with Dominic?

No, @Jack, it's a Servermania LEB.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited July 2013

@joelgm You can still use their status plugin it basically just enables a cron job and give you a nice interface. Doesnt require you to use any other aspect or tie up resources. I think it's a cleaner approach than bash scripts to maintain and debug

• @bdtech said:
    joelgm You can still use their status plugin it basically just enables a cron job and give you a nice interface. Doesnt require you to use any other aspect or tie up resources

Good. I'll give it a go. Hope it doesnt increase my RAM usage too much. It's already almost at the 1GB limit.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited July 2013

@joelgm Another free tip. You can run service webmin stop when your done setting up your status monitoring to free up a few Mb of ram. Simply start it back up when you need to login to webmin.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@joelgm seems nice that software... how do you feel using it?

• @netomx said:
    joelgm seems nice that software... how do you feel using it?

It's awesome. I wouldnt think of switching from this to cpanel.

• @joelgm Never used this Panel before but impressed with the screenshots and demo... NGINX working with this one?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

@CentrioHost said:
    joelgm Never used this Panel before but impressed with the screenshots and demo... NGINX working with this one?

Yes it is, though since it was added recently to the latest RC, I believe there might be some extra configuration required. I have lazily continued using apache.

edited July 2013

I just discovered why there was a surge in CPU load. In my crontab,

Instead of:
    0 */4 * * * /root/wordpress_plugin_updater/updater_vps.pl

I had this:
    * */4 * * * /root/wordpress_plugin_updater/updater_vps.pl

:P No wonder it pulled down the node!

• You could just set up a cron job with commands like, free -m, df -h, mpstat (You would need to install the sysstat package), which all output to a file, or just e-mail them straight to you.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Install Newrelic and set custom alerts. It takes 2 minutes to setup and install.

• @bcrlsn said:
    Install Newrelic and set custom alerts. It takes 2 minutes to setup and install.

What I'm trying to monitor is not a web app, but a perl script.

• @Swiftlerhost said:
    You could just set up a cron job with commands like, free -m, df -h, mpstat (You would need to install the sysstat package), which all output to a file, or just e-mail them straight to you.

Yea, I'm thinking of writing something similiar to that. Maybe have it output to a file, which is periodically monitored by my script, which terminates when load goes high.

Anyway, it seemed that a one character typo in the crontab causes a massive spawning of my script, one every ,minute, for an hour. One instance itself takes around 5 minutes to complete, so I can imagine how it led to a massive increase in CPU load. Anyway, it's all been fixed now. The suspension was lifted, a test run over 12 hours has not revealed any CPU load. The average is below 0.02. :)

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

as @ncrlsn said use new relic/scalextreme - don't think it matters what the process is

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

Simple and easy.

Add a cron to run this every 10 minutes. It will send you an alert if the load touches the threshold.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wvdyw25nfnudmv/load.sh

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • @Host4Geeks said:
    Simple and easy.

That's pretty cool. I modified it a bit.
    http://pastebin.com/vifmECLN

Thank you.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

@joelgm said:
    Thank you.

Anytime. :)

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Newrelic doesn't just monitor apps, it also monitors servers.

edited July 2013

Is the cpu load shown in uptime specific to the VPS, or is it the load of the node?

@bcrlsn Thanks!

• bdtechbdtech Member

@joelgm vps load

• Isn't it 1/5/15 rather than 5/10/15 like your scripts show?