Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use M.2 SSD drives in U.2 bays
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use M.2 SSD drives in U.2 bays

gleertgleert Member, Host Rep
edited June 2017 in General

I have some Intel DC S3520 M.2 drives which I want to reuse in a new NVMe server that comes with U.2 slots. Does anyone have experience with adapters like this?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2017

In our experience these adapters are always yet another point of failure, and are usually cheaply made. If this is mission critical do not cheap out on the adapter, haven't used these ones specifically but we've used m.2 to pcie adapters and only had good luck with the more expensive ones.

Thanked by 1gleert
  • edited June 2017

@Corey said:
    In our experience these adapters are always yet another point of failure, and are usually cheaply made. If this is mission critical do not cheap out on the adapter, haven't used these ones specifically but we've used m.2 to pcie adapters.

Whilst I agree they do offer hot swap which allows for that point of failure to prevent taking the server offline to simply swap a drive. If the m.2 is a sata drive that is. If its PCi-e yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rip.

Thanked by 1gleert
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2017

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Corey said:
    In our experience these adapters are always yet another point of failure, and are usually cheaply made. If this is mission critical do not cheap out on the adapter, haven't used these ones specifically but we've used m.2 to pcie adapters.

Whilst I agree they do offer hot swap which allows for that point of failure to prevent taking the server offline to simply swap a drive. If the m.2 is a sata drive that is. If its PCi-e yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rip.

Yea a lot of times you are just better off buying the correct drive for the interface.

• @vmhaus A new competitor is coming!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Not something I would ever put into production.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Corey said:

Yea a lot of times you are just better off buying the correct drive for the interface.

Those are cheaper. He just tries to save a few £ on the mission critical kit.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

I used them for other PCIe projects. They contain basic tech that does PCI_RST (the clock signal) at times so the cable length CAN be an issue, but usually is not.

Worked fine for a Samsung 960 Pro SSD native on PCH/CPU, did NOT work behind a PLX chip for lane splitting. Did not work at all without hardware mods for my PCIe things.

At 30-50EUR each they are expensive for what they contain which is really not much.

GenjiSwitchPls said: Whilst I agree they do offer hot swap which allows for that point of failure to prevent taking the server offline to simply swap a drive. If the m.2 is a sata drive that is. If its PCi-e yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rip.

PCIe SSDs in 2,5" CAN be hot swapped, that is the entire appeal of having them for servers. The CPU/chip handles this, and PCIe hotplug is in the standard since 1.1.

Thanked by 2gleert GamerTech24
  • gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

William said: Worked fine for a Samsung 960 Pro SSD native on PCH/CPU

How is the build quality of those Delock converters? Would you put them in a SuperServer 1028U-TN10RT+?

• Yes, they are built ok. Not cheap however.