Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Auctions on Low End Talk? Good Idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Auctions on Low End Talk? Good Idea?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Jarland and any other mods here. Does the concept of a server auction break any of the rules here at LET?

How would people here feel about listings of dedicated servers available for rent, where price is determined by bids in an auction style? A minimum price can be set, but that initial price would need to be at or below LET price limit of $49 /month. All other LET rules would apply.

Thoughts?

Thanked by 1Nuntius

Comments

• Sounds cool. Also for your Hong Kong location?

• ewrekewrek Member

$7?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So that would be in a hope to attempt to get around the LET price limit of $49 ?

Thanked by 1pike
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Keeping track of the biddings in a forum post and sorting out the chit chat will be a hassle by itself. Dont think this is a good idea tbh.

• I'm all for it. As long as the starting prices are around $35 with $1 increments this to stop all sales going over the LET price limit as @Clouvider has stated.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: So that would be in a hope to attempt to get around the LET price limit of $49 ?

Not at all. Every host would of course prefer to be able to sell, but they would also be comitted to selling at the starting price if the bid does not go well. It also opens up the opportunity to sell higher specs servers, potentially at super bargain prices.

So it's not just about getting more than $49 /month for a server. Bare in mind that if a host puts up a Dual Xeon E5v4 with 512MB RAM, and 8x1TB SSDs, the auction would still need to start at $49 at most, and they would be obligated to lease it out at whatever the maximum bid is at. It could be a great deal for the buyer, potentially.

GenjiSwitchPls said: I'm all for it. As long as the starting prices are around $35 with $1 increments this to stop all sales going over the LET price limit as @Clouvider has stated.

If the max limit is $49 for the end price, then you'll never see different offers other than what is already made. You'll probably end up with fewer servers up for grabs for less than $49 as they would all end up as 'auction' servers probably.

• SolidxGamingSolidxGaming Member
    edited June 2017

randvegeta said: E5v4 with 512MB RAM, and 8x1TB SSDs,

Thx, can I have it?

@SolidxGaming said:

Thx, can I have it?

it could be possible.

• @randvegeta said:

@SolidxGaming said:

Thx, can I have it?

it could be possible.

Price? I want a dedicated server. Thx

@SolidxGaming said:

@randvegeta said:

@SolidxGaming said:

Thx, can I have it?

it could be possible.

try your luck in an auction :)

• @randvegeta said:

@SolidxGaming said:

@randvegeta said:

@SolidxGaming said:

Thx, can I have it?

it could be possible.

try your luck in an auction :)

You didn't get me :/

Check the RAM again.

• @randvegeta said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: I'm all for it. As long as the starting prices are around $35 with $1 increments this to stop all sales going over the LET price limit as @Clouvider has stated.

If the max limit is $49 for the end price, then you'll never see different offers other than what is already made. You'll probably end up with fewer servers up for grabs for less than $49 as they would all end up as 'auction' servers probably.

I wouldnt set the max limit, I'd just want a bit of headroom to stop every auction going over $49

SolidxGaming said: You didn't get me :/

Check the RAM again.

I completely missed that.

That may make for some evil deception. Someone could list a server for sale with 256 or 512MB RAM and people misread for GB and then BAM.. My spidey senses are tingling.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

All dedicated servers would need to have a BIN price of $49/month MAX. Creating another price category for this is a no go.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Hang on, why can't this work?

Provider set a start price. Can be as mental as they like. They have to agree to that price for a minimum of 6 months, or provider tag = gone.

Price can go up to whatever it goes up to. People buy servers for over LET price limits today when they're asking for offers, so what's the difference really?

It's up to the provider to set an appropriate 'all-in' starting price they're comfortable with.

This could be good banter.

Thanked by 2luissousa BlaZe
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited June 2017

Do it hetzner style, set a start price within LET price range and price is going to fall until someone grabs the offer.

@Nekki said:

Provider set a start price. Can be as mental as they like. They have to agree to that price for a minimum of 6 months, or provider tag = gone.

Price can go up to whatever it goes up to. People buy servers for over LET price limits today when they're asking for offers, so what's the difference really?

It's up to the provider to set an appropriate 'all-in' starting price they're comfortable with.

In order for it to work, it would need to be established members bidding only or else 'newly' registered members could outbid everyone on behalf of the host. Could work but policing and verifying could be an issue.

• NomadNomad Member

@randvegeta said:

@Nekki said:

In order for it to work, it would need to be established members bidding only or else 'newly' registered members could outbid everyone on behalf of the host. Could work but policing and verifying could be an issue.

Lol...
    Just how many times did those established providers supported the pop-corn industry here at LET?

• @randvegeta said:

@Nekki said:

I just want to point out that: yes, I believe that this is a good idea too, but you'd be putting enormous stress on staff that 1) aren't paid and 2) are barely sane with the current members.

Take @jarland for example. I bet he screams and bashes us on Discord to release is unforsaken anger at some of the stupid crap that goes through the help desk.

Nomad said: many times did those established providers supported

I don't mean providers. I mean MEMBERS. As in buyers. Otherwise it would be too easy to abuse. And policing would be difficult. Unless it worked on a paid bid system to weed out the fake bids. But again that can't work on LET.

• eloftyelofty Member

@pike said:
    Do it hetzner style, set a start price within LET price range and price is going to fall until someone grabs the offer.

I'd be in favor of this!

Thanked by 1pike
  • XeiXei Member

But can site have better/cheaper offering than Hetzner, SYS, Kimsufi? I would love more cheap dedis but I would guess it's unlikely.

Thanked by 1pike
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Xei said:
    But can site have better/cheaper offering than Hetzner, SYS, Kimsufi? I would love more cheap dedis but I would guess it's unlikely.

Not better nor cheaper, but something different in another way. Maybe a location, or network that is somehow different from OVH. Like cocius dedicated servers for example.

• auction bot in discunt would be ok

• AmitzAmitz Member

gattytto said: auction bot in discunt would be ok

Discorpse sucks.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • ben47955ben47955 Member
    edited June 2017

I don't think will work because only a few of provider have their DC and can't do cheap price. But vps auction can work maybe.

@Nuntius said:
    Sounds cool. Also for your Hong Kong location?

That was the idea for me.

• JackHJackH Member

Could I instead suggest that perhaps over the next few weeks some volunteers set up a "LowEndBidding" site? There clearly is a demand for this, and I feel that the LET community has somewhat dropped in terms of interestingoscity over the last month or so. If we could organise this such that it is policed by a different set of volunteers then I don't see how it can do anything but 1) generate sales on otherwise outdated or excess hardware for providers and 2) get some great deals for some users.

• PwnerPwner Member

@doghouch said:
    Take @jarland for example. I bet he screams and bashes us on Discord to release is unforsaken anger at some of the stupid crap that goes through the help desk.

No, I'm pretty sure he does it because the LET Discord has developed a reputation of being such a cancerous shit pit that even @Nekki refuses to step foot in there again.