Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host not allowing cron jobs shorter than 15 minute intervals
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host not allowing cron jobs shorter than 15 minute intervals

Is this reasonable or a load of crock im really thinking the latter, its in their terms so i cant do anything but abide. If i knew about it i wouldnt have setup a site with them.

Comments

• @corbpie said:
    Is this reasonable or a load of crock im really thinking the latter, its in their terms so i cant do anything but abide. If i knew about it i wouldnt have setup a site with them.

If it's can executed from external server just set cron in other server

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I understand it, the problem is so many people try and use cheap shared hosting as a cheaper substitute to a cheap vps, all it takes is 50 people that want to run heavy crons every minute and everyone has a bad time.

To be fair it is in their terms so you absolutely could have done something about it.. got a VPS instead.

That said, perhaps the correct thing to do if you're just running something lightweight is to ask them to set the cron up for you, if all else fails: https://cron-job.org/en/

• I didnt use a vps as the host has lightspeed which makes what i do so much quicker, but yea if i get it sorted out ill use one of those

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

You could just do the following:

Setup 15 cronjobs like this:

sleep 14m ; command here

sleep 13m ; command here

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2017

What Anthony says, generally get a different host as the limitations are part of the ToS most likely.

If you try what robohost says, make sure the host is not using some shitty software like Bitninja as you may end up with everyone emailed about you attacking the interwebz.

• NomadNomad Member

Lol...

%command%
    sleep 60
    %command%

• If a host has a limit on cron job frequency and doesn't monitor long running processes like that, they'd be born yesterday and there's probably a whole lot of other reasons to move away from them.

• I use webcron service easycron.com which manages multiple sites cronjobs and provides feedback and reporting.