Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom RAM amount VPS providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom RAM amount VPS providers?

My co-worker has a booking software that is somehow hardcoded to a specific machine that has very recently died out.

He reached the programmer that's already retired and asked him to fix the hardcoding so he could swap the host. The programmer told him to just put it on a server/VM with exactly 678428672 bytes (647 MB) of available physical memory, and it should stop crashing.

Would any provider do this for 5-10 USD/m? I would also need 32-bit CentOS 3.9 and public IP.

Comments

• dedipromodedipromo Member
    edited June 2017

The RAM would not be an issue, as that can easily be adjusted by any host; also you could consider getting a cheap dedicated server and allocate any amount of RAM you want on it.

But hell....CentOS 3.9......that's more than ten years old... I don't think any VPS provider will provide that image so you'll need to find a KVM provider that supports customized ISO upload.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2017

Your app probably also depends on the centos3.9 distro kernel. So KVM is safer I guess.

Prometeus custom-KVM maybe?

select 1GB ram for the pool , before ordering in NL or RO https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=3

(edit: better check with them, if they allow exact RAM adjustment. I don't want to give bad advice :)

If I think of some other options, I'll post again.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@Bopie @vmhaus I guess you guys can do a KVM in op's price range and specs??

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@stefeman said:
    My co-worker has a booking software that is somehow hardcoded to a specific machine that has very recently died out.

He reached the programmer that's already retired and asked him to fix the hardcoding so he could swap the host. The programmer told him to just put it on a server/VM with exactly 678428672 bytes (647 MB) of available physical memory, and it should stop crashing.

Would any provider do this for 5-10 USD/m? I would also need 32-bit CentOS 3.9 and public IP.

Dear Stefeman, we could do this in UK / FR for $5/month, i'll probably need to manual install the CentOS 3.9. How much of disk space do you need for the machine? Thanks!

• ngstargatengstargate Member
    edited June 2017

vmhaus said: CentOS 3.9

Wow....
    CentOS 3 support ended 31 October 2010.
    This will be the most "holey" VPS...
    This is equivalent to a giant poster on the bank: "No locks, no security, all robbers are welcome."

• micronodesmicronodes Member, Host Rep

We can do a 1gb machine for 5-7$ monthly depending on the needed specs. We just deployed a new node

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

while Centos 3.9 is very old OS, it's still available to download:
    http://vault.centos.org/3.9/isos/i386/

We will be able to offer:
    2GB Memory

50GB Storage

4 vCPU Fair Use

Unmetered Bandwidth

Xen HVM Virtualization

1 IPv4 address

Full Root Access

$7 per month

• FalzoFalzo Member

micronodes said: We can do a 1gb machine

WebProject said: We will be able to offer: 2GB Memory

care to read? :-P
    he needs neither 1GB nor 2GB RAM - he needs

stefeman said: VM with exactly 678428672 bytes (647 MB) of available physical memory

• It's just stupid. Centos 3.9 has a huge number of vulnerabilities. A maximum of 2-3 days VPS will be hacked and cause a lot of trouble.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I feel this is a joke thread.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited June 2017

Have you tried running it on 32bit CentOS 6.9? It still uses sysv init and features various other legacy compatibilitys that may make it work just fine. Just make sure it has exactly 678428672 bytes (647 MB) of available physical memory.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Is this serious?

• AthylAthyl Member

I can offer but with Centos 4 32 bit!

• RizRiz Member

@jcaleb said:
    Is this serious?

Every enterprise company is doing it.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • akhfaakhfa Member

How can you install software dependencies with that old centos?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Does CentOS-3.9 work well in KVM? I guess that one should use the legacy disk and network drivers.

What is the booking software written in?

• You can contact with your requirement . But we can provide you Centos 6.5

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Your co-worker should do everything possible to remove his dependency on that particular software.

• If you use a KVM that allows for custom boot parameters, there is a Linux kernel boot parameter mem=

• @SolidxGaming said:
    I feel this is a joke thread.

>

There is worse out there. How about a Fedora 9 router?

• @flatland_spider said:

@SolidxGaming said:

>

I run Puppylinux on my router, and my workstation. thx

• @SolidxGaming said:

I'm shocked. Maybe I am? Or am I? Who knows? I place my bet on 24 hours before it is hacked and converted into a DDoS projecting machine.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited June 2017

I wanna spin up a Vultr KVM VPS running 3.9 and see what happens, there are some VPS providers that provide CentOS 5.

I'll try this in Vultr and see what happens,

there is a Linux kernel boot parameter mem=

Can this be set in GRUB?

• You can find some another developer to modify your code, it would be really hard in future to maintain this application.

• @cyberpersons said:
    You can find some another developer to modify your code, it would be really hard in future to maintain this application.

>

Yeah, we're not privy to the reasons for keeping it around, but keeping this around is extremely negligent on the part of the OP's co-worker.

@doghouch said:
    I place my bet on 24 hours before it is hacked and converted into a DDoS projecting machine.

>

That's pretty optimistic. 12 hours, might be generous.

Hey OP, keep us updated on the drama. :)

• @SolidxGaming said:

@flatland_spider said:

@SolidxGaming said:

>

I run Puppylinux on my router, and my workstation. thx

>

Is that any better?

The router isn't mine by the way, but it was in production at a company I used to work for though.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I can offer you that but only on the NAT KVM service so it is not as exposed, I dont really see a safer option.

1 CPU Core
    768mb Ram
    18GB SSD cached Disk Space
    1TB Transfer
    /64 IPv6 range
    1 x NAT IPv4
    Orders manually accepted within 24 hours - not instant setup

I can adjust the ram for you after purchase.

Order Link: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=137

Price is €7.50 every 3 months.

If you use centos 3.x on a publicly exposed IP, your wasting your time it will be ruined in a few days.