Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Direct peering vs Internet exchange peering.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Direct peering vs Internet exchange peering.

kumarkumar Member

Hello,

I am trying to understand direct peering vs route server peering (through IXP).

In case NO direct Peering, any peering arrangements are still required with networks to exchange traffic through IXP ?

Example: If network AS123 connects to IXP A, can they exchange traffic to all networks connected to IXP A (like AS456, AS789 which do not have any peering agreement with AS123)

Can some please help me to understand on route server peering.

Thank you

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

You can peer directly with other AS, you can connect with an IXP and peer with everyone there or you can peer with transit providers like RETN, level3 etc. that will connect you with other AS arround the world directly aswell as through IXPs.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

You can also setup a physical connection directly to your peering partner, thats also a sort of direct peering ;-)

• jtkjtk Member

@kumar said:
    In case NO direct Peering, any peering arrangements are still required with networks to exchange traffic through IXP ?

Generally no. Many IXes have a "public peering" fabric or are run with the intent on all participants agreeing to an open multi-lateral peering agreement. You either all agree to peer through the route server or you don't connect to that IX or that part of the IX.

You could try to setup individual BGP peering sessions with all the IX participants, but a route server is often used to reduce that configuration and management burden of having to maintain all those separate BGP sessions with those who all agree to freely interconnect. So instead of configuring and establishing potentially dozens of distinct peering sessions with each network, you peer with one or a small number of route servers.

For example, rather than having a direct peering relationship with network A and saying "send all your traffic with destinations X,Y,Z to me", then having a direct relationship with networks B, C, D and so on telling them each the same thing, you tell a route server, "hey, tell everyone to send their traffic with destinations X,Y, and Z to this NEXT_HOP address (me)." The route server removes the potentially peering configuration complexity and overhead of a complete graph to roughly a maximum of R * N, where R is the number of route servers and N is the network of networks.

Thanked by 1kumar