Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel S3500 SSD's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel S3500 SSD's

jakejake Member

The new value line of enterprise SSD's from Intel is now out... Intel S3500's

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/intel-ssd-dc-s3500/

Any SSD VPS providers using this yet? I'd be interested in picking a VPS up to run some benchmarks on this.

Comments

• Nope, since the writes aren't fast and the endurance is a lot lower.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Right now we're still deploying Intel 520 series SSD. They've been rock solid.

• rds100rds100 Member

Hmm it's hard to find Intel 520 SSDs here now. At least the 120GB version is always out of stock.

• @rds100 said:
    Hmm it's hard to find Intel 520 SSDs here now. At least the 120GB version is always out of stock.

It's EOL. There will be a Intel 530. Same controller. Just die shrink, so probably cheaper, but lower endurance and maybe worse performance - not sure yet.

• rds100rds100 Member

Damn. Yes, die shrink means less write endurance...

• Intel 520 EOL was a sad day. They currently have nothing on the market as a direct replacement. Although the s3500s are quite consistent in their speeds, they do not offer the same IOPS as the 520s

There's still wide availability in the US market for the 520 series. We'll switch to something different when needed (Intel, of course), but I would prefer it to be a step forwards instead of backwards (which is what the s3500 represents imho).

• jakejake Member

@jbiloh said:
    There's still wide availability in the US market for the 520 series. We'll switch to something different when needed (Intel, of course), but I would prefer it to be a step forwards instead of backwards (which is what the s3500 represents imho).

I'm curious why Hivelocity decided to phase out Intel 520's and move on to the new S3500's. After reading up more on the S3500's, it sounds like a downgrade and a step backwards like you say.

• rds100rds100 Member

Intel will make me move to samsung... Now only if samsung would quit jerking with TLC and make some MLC or even SLC SSDs ... life would be good.

• jakejake Member

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Samsung SSD's. Very reliable.

• marcmmarcm Member

@jbiloh those Intel 520s are rock solid, I see no reason to move to something else for now. They will last for a long time as well ;-)

• @jake said:
    I'm curious why Hivelocity decided to phase out Intel 520's and move on to the new S3500's. After reading up more on the S3500's, it sounds like a downgrade and a step backwards like you say.

Because the 520s are EOL. It'll be harder to get etc.

We continue to have no issue sourcing 520's in largish quantities.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Samsung ssd 830 were available in large quantities just before every distributor went out of stock. I remember I was going to buy 40 512gb but bought 20 since stock was huge and the next week it was almost impossible to find more :-(

• johnjohn Member

What about 840 Pros? Based on reports on WHT, it seems new firmware for both the 840 and LSI RAID cards have resolved the performance issues.

• @prometeus said:
    Samsung ssd 830 were available in large quantities just before every distributor went out of stock. I remember I was going to buy 40 512gb but bought 20 since stock was huge and the next week it was almost impossible to find more :-(

Yeah the 830s sold out like hot cakes and its a shame you cant get them any more.

• jakejake Member

What's the advantage of the 830's, when compared to 840 Pro?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Jake capacitors that allow all buffered data to be written in case of power failure. Also two bits per flash cell for 830, 3 bits per flash cell for 840/840 Pro, which makes the 830 more reliable.

• @jake said:
    What's the advantage of the 830's, when compared to 840 Pro?

None minus 840 firmware issues earlier.

• jakejake Member

Hrm I see, didn't know that @rds100. What about performance wise, are the 830's better or the 840 Pros?

• @rds100 840 is TLC. 840 Pro is MLC.

• rds100rds100 Member

@concerto49 are you sure? I thought 840Pro is TLC too, only with much more reserved / underprovisioned space.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

We use Samsung 830s--proven solid drives. I'd be hesitant to invest in a large quantity of relatively new drives. Bleeding edge technology is much more prone to failure or stability issues. With these SSDs, manufacturers often release new drivers months after the initial release.