Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best location for South America transit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best location for South America transit?

DamianDamian Member
edited January 2012 in General

So it's been discussed and determined that instead of paying premium $$$ for a VPS in Asia, one in Los Angeles or San Jose or otherwise US west coast is good enough for Asian interaction, especially when you consider the price difference.

What about South America? In the same vein, should Texas or Miami be good enough, or should we look into one in South America itself?

Comments

• Miami I guess.

My gameservers at Florida receive most visits from South America

• We've had this discussion a couple of times as well. :)

I still wonder why a server in Mexico City wouldn't work.

• @drmike said: I still wonder why a server in Mexico City wouldn't work.

That would work well too, i'm sure. I was somewhat excited when that host from Costa Rica was featured on LEB, but since they never responded to my questions about traffic destined for South America.....

• I still could have sworn we discussed Mexico on one of the three forums but someone here has it in their sig so searching is kind of hard.

Only thread that comes right up is this:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/812/vps-for-south-america-peru-bolivia/

• Doesn't work because AFAIK here we don't have "public" datacenters, or companies doing colo, etc. Evey company here offering hosting is a reseller of some other company in USA.

• @drmike: d'oh, didn't think to use Google to search with. I was using the search built into this forum, which kinda sucks :)

@yomero: Is there any public peering at all?

• @Damian4IPXcore said: @yomero: Is there any public peering at all?

Honestly, I don't know. We don't have many ISP's, and all they have several problems in different zones of the country (bad performing network, bad latency, and well, bad support). I don't know if under that overloading conditions they would allow something like that, but I guess... no. But I will ask somewhere =P

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@Damian4IPXcore said: d'oh, didn't think to use Google to search with. I was using the search built into this forum, which kinda sucks :)

There's 3 forums here at LET. Using google just covers the other 2 since they're subdomains of the main forum.

• Maimi is the best choice for south america.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Atlanta would also be a good choice if you don't find what you are looking for in Miami. Atlanta is typically the next stop after Miami for most providers with connectivity to South America.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2012

I finally got a response from Abdicar. Off the top of my head, NAP of the Americas is in Florida somewhere.

Hello Damian,

All our connections go to the NAP of the Americas, where we buy connection from different ISPs in USA like fdc, cogent, level3 and others. At the NAP of the Americas we peer with all the connections of the different countries at Latin-American. In Latin-American all the ISPs do the same, and there are not peers between us.

This is going to change if the SOPA gets approved, since our new connection peer will be in Venezuela and Russia.

For example. At Costa Rica we have 3 ISPs, ICE, Amnet, a Cable Tica, each one of them have different connections and they don't peer. The ICE goes directly to the NAP, Amnet goes to Honduras and after it to the NAP, and Cable Tica do the same as the ICE.

BTW, The next month we will be adding a peer add-on for our VPS that will cost $15 for each mbps that will peer with ICE, Amnet and Cable Tica.

Let me know if you need any other information.

abdicar.com****

• @qps said: Atlanta would also be a good choice if you don't find what you are looking for in Miami. Atlanta is typically the next stop after Miami for most providers with connectivity to South America.

Again: Why? Why not something actually in South America?

• @drmike said: actually in South America?

Access to US IP for VPN

• Going the other way then. I was thinking a server location in the area. Not for access to here in the states for the US based IP address.

Makes sense now.

• Also, while Miami has NAP of the Americas, if you look at global cable maps, depending on where in South America, many countries have better routing to Los Angeles. And if quality cannot be found in Miami, Atlanta and Charlotte would be good choices as well for next hop from Miami.

• @miTgiB said: Charlotte

I'm sorry but I wouldn't be putting anything in this city. The only reason why I have my servers here is because I can do hands on. Unless of course someone finally dropped tier 1 backbone somewhere locally without telling me. Last I knew, we're still off the main routes here in town. (Unless of course you count Time Warner but they're not tier one anyway.)

I learned a long time ago that relying on a third party or even the datacenter for hands on isn't the brightest idea.

• @drmike said: I'm sorry but I wouldn't be putting anything in this city.

The guy wants a VPS, not a row of racks, put stuff in perspective.