Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do some vps provider want a picture of your credit card? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why do some vps provider want a picture of your credit card?

2»

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2017

ljseals said: MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. "They can ask for that ID, but you can refuse to show the ID and they still must accept the card," says Paul Stephens, director of policy and advocacy at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit that advocates for consumer privacy rights.

On the other hand, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government ID.

Discover's policies are more intrusive. They state that a store employee who has doubts about the validity of a card should "request and review additional identification" from the customer. And for an unsigned card, the company requires two pieces of identification, including one government-issued photo ID.

American Express is more vague. It requires merchants to "verify that the customer is the card member," but its rules make no direct mention of requiring an ID.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-retailers-ask-id-with-credit_card-1282.php

There is a problem with your logic. I am sure the provider would argue this is a security measure they take internally to prevent fraud. As such, they can say they are not collecting the picture of the card as a term of payment, but as a term of passing their own fraud check before they themselves will consider allowing any payment to be made.

It is just like employing MaxMind or a fraud checking service during your order process, the fraud detection system is still a security measure you need to surpass before they will allow you to pay and activate a service. Asking for a picture of your card or ID is just the same, a fraud checking method they utilize as a security measure previous to allowing payment. You just don't complain about the fraud check companies because if you came here doing that most would already think you're a fraud anyways and proving otherwise would be difficult. In the same way, coming here and bitching about them asking for your ID or a picture of your card is much the same thing, the only one it makes look guilty is the person who isn't willing to provide the proof that they are who they say they are.

When buying an item at a retail store and they ask for your ID you don't have to provide it and they can't make it a term of the transaction for Visa cards, however, you are buying a single item and leaving, not planning to use an ongoing service which will renew monthly (you are also most likely on their security camera footage as well, smile!). Their risk here is very small, a one time purchase with (usually) a small or medium value which if they encountered issues with could be written off. In the case of services with a provider, you intend to make a recurring contract where you will purchase the service over and over, in this case the risk has grown, now you could potentially use a fraudulent card for months and then 4-5 months later the person complains to their card provider and has all the charges charged back and guess who is left screwed? The provider! They will then eat the charge back and any fees that go along with it from their processor, while the person who cheated them gets off free and clear because the provider has no proof that who they dealt with was the actual card owner (by getting a copy of ID or creditcard) or any way to prove the original purchase was actually done by the card holder.

You can complain about this all you want, go for it, but in the end the one in the wrong is the one bitching about proving they are who they say they are... and that should say something about that person. If you can't be bothered to prove you are who you say you are, then why should I be bothered to provide you a service which could potentially result in me losing money because you are a scammer?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Amitz said: I am an expert in the field of masturbation.

I originally read this as you are an expert in field masturbation and thought you had grown a green thumb.

Get out there in the field and get to masturbating it already! While your at it, pick some fresh tomatoes for dinner!

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:

ljseals said: MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. "They can ask for that ID, but you can refuse to show the ID and they still must accept the card," says Paul Stephens, director of policy and advocacy at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit that advocates for consumer privacy rights.

On the other hand, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government ID.

Discover's policies are more intrusive. They state that a store employee who has doubts about the validity of a card should "request and review additional identification" from the customer. And for an unsigned card, the company requires two pieces of identification, including one government-issued photo ID.

American Express is more vague. It requires merchants to "verify that the customer is the card member," but its rules make no direct mention of requiring an ID.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-retailers-ask-id-with-credit_card-1282.php

There is a problem with your logic. I am sure the provider would argue this is a security measure they take internally to prevent fraud. As such, they can say they are not collecting the picture of the card as a term of payment, but as a term of passing their own fraud check before they themselves will consider allowing any payment to be made.

It is just like employing MaxMind or a fraud checking service during your order process, the fraud detection system is still a security measure you need to surpass before they will allow you to pay and activate a service. Asking for a picture of your card or ID is just the same, a fraud checking method they utilize as a security measure previous to allowing payment. You just don't complain about the fraud check companies because if you came here doing that most would already think you're a fraud anyways and proving otherwise would be difficult. In the same way, coming here and bitching about them asking for your ID or a picture of your card is much the same thing, the only one it makes look guilty is the person who isn't willing to provide the proof that they are who they say they are.

When buying an item at a retail store and they ask for your ID you don't have to provide it and they can't make it a term of the transaction for Visa cards, however, you are buying a single item and leaving, not planning to use an ongoing service which will renew monthly (you are also most likely on their security camera footage as well, smile!). Their risk here is very small, a one time purchase with (usually) a small or medium value which if they encountered issues with could be written off. In the case of services with a provider, you intend to make a recurring contract where you will purchase the service over and over, in this case the risk has grown, now you could potentially use a fraudulent card for months and then 4-5 months later the person complains to their card provider and has all the charges charged back and guess who is left screwed? The provider! They will then eat the charge back and any fees that go along with it from their processor, while the person who cheated them gets off free and clear because the provider has no proof that who they dealt with was the actual card owner (by getting a copy of ID or creditcard) or any way to prove the original purchase was actually done by the card holder.

You can complain about this all you want, go for it, but in the end the one in the wrong is the one bitching about proving they are who they say they are... and that should say something about that person. If you can't be bothered to prove you are who you say you are, then why should I be bothered to provide you a service which could potentially result in me losing money because you are a scammer?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

How can you trust companies to delete your id or credit card picture, or even if they store it how can you trust them, and cant they use a better method than email it makes look more shady like those email scams.

tbh I am mostly upset that I been wanting to try ovh for years, but I am so scared of giving my photo id and it getting leaked it a fear or mine. I just want try those cheap cloud vps but its hard for me show my id for something so little in price.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2017

dragonballz2k said: How can you trust companies to delete your id or credit card picture, or even if they store it how can you trust them, and cant they use a better method than email it makes look more shady like those email scams.

If you can't trust them with a picture of your ID or your credit card which you have watermarked (maybe one of the common misconceptions here is you have to provide an original full copy, you don't, you can watermark or remove the un-needed information on the image before sending) then how can you trust them with your data and then why would you want to use their service?

If you can't trust that they will secure your card/ID information then you surely can't trust that they will keep the contents of your server safe? I would assume they utilize similar practices in both situations and abide by the local privacy regulations which would require them to safely store any personal information they would get from you.

When you send a credit card image, do what others said earlier in the thread, block out all but the last 4 digits of the card number. They already have the card number and can compare it to the last 4 digits of the image to confirm its you.

In the case of a state ID or passport, they don't need your drivers license number, color of your eyes, etc... they just need your picture and your name and your address (or part of it) showing that the person who made the order is indeed you. Place a watermark across your picture to keep it from being duplicated and used fraudulently if you feel there is some real risk of this happening. If you were telling the truth when you signed up and used the correct details you shouldn't be providing them anything more than verification of this information in way of an ID.

The people who should be concerned is the people who try to sign-up with incorrect or misleading information who are then asked for IDs because obviously it won't match and this my friend is fraud (and the exact reason they ask for ID or card images).

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• i see this as completely useless and waste of time. Now a days is pretty easy to secure your billing system. I use fraud record, together with braintree gateway that has certain security features. So far no charge backs and i don't have to bother a customer for his id and stuff just to pay $10-$20, i see it as a hassle for the customer. You can also use max mind and other solutions to prevent this. There is also Visa and Mastercard 3d secure or something that is also very unlikely to bypass.

If you are asking for id for a payment under $100 you are not doing it right.

• @TheLinuxBug said:

dragonballz2k said: How can you trust companies to delete your id or credit card picture, or even if they store it how can you trust them, and cant they use a better method than email it makes look more shady like those email scams.

If you can't trust them with a picture of your ID or your credit card which you have watermarked (maybe one of the common misconceptions here is you have to provide an original full copy, you don't, you can watermark or remove the un-needed information on the image before sending) then how can you trust them with your data and then why would you want to use their service?

If you can't trust that they will secure your card/ID information then you surely can't trust that they will keep the contents of your server safe? I would assume they utilize similar practices in both situations and abide by the local privacy regulations which would require them to safely store any personal information they would get from you.

When you send a credit card image, do what others said earlier in the thread, block out all but the last 4 digits of the card number. They already have the card number and can compare it to the last 4 digits of the image to confirm its you.

In the case of a state ID or passport, they don't need your drivers license number, color of your eyes, etc... they just need your picture and your name and your address (or part of it) showing that the person who made the order is indeed you. Place a watermark across your picture to keep it from being duplicated and used fraudulently if you feel there is some real risk of this happening. If you were telling the truth when you signed up and used the correct details you shouldn't be providing them anything more than verification of this information in way of an ID.

The people who should be concerned is the people who try to sign-up with incorrect or misleading information who are then asked for IDs because obviously it won't match and this my friend is fraud (and the exact reason they ask for ID or card images).

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

why don't other subscription services like spotify, dropbox pro, apple itunes, etc... don't need your id? what's the point of max mind, and visa, mastercard fraud protection if you still won't trust the person isn't that point of these protection?

• dragonballz2k said: why don't other subscription services like spotify, dropbox pro, apple itunes, etc... don't need your id? what's the point of max mind, and visa, mastercard fraud protection if you still won't trust the person isn't that point of these protection?

Actually, the answer to this is much easier than you think. The larger number of customers you have, the lower your merchant rates, the better your charge back resolution contract (how much it takes before they halt you account for too many charge backs), the less it impacts them when customers do charge back, all because of the sheer number of people using it. In other words, they are large enough to be able to accept X number of charge backs (fraud) without it impacting their bottom line. When it comes to most service providers if you look at their contract they are seen as a service and not a product so there are different rights afford to them in regards to the charge back process and how much they can afford to have charged back before their contract is canceled.

This is also why most smaller online businesses only use Paypal to accept credit cards for them, because if they were to use a real merchant account with a bank account they would end up with too many charge backs during their start to maintain the contract. Paypal helps deal with this for you for smaller vendors and is one of the main reasons people prefer them.

So again, it comes back to the number of transactions and how risky your transaction is based on predetermined criteria they have in place during a fraud review of your account sign-up.

They could have just decided not to deal with you at all and ignored you (they have every right to decide who they do and do not do business with), at least in this case they are saying, "Hey we think this might be fraud but we want to give you an opportunity to prove it isn't by you proving who you are; here are your options to do so..."

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

@TheLinuxBug said:

dragonballz2k said: why don't other subscription services like spotify, dropbox pro, apple itunes, etc... don't need your id? what's the point of max mind, and visa, mastercard fraud protection if you still won't trust the person isn't that point of these protection?

Actually, the answer to this is much easier than you think. The larger number of customers you have, the lower your merchant rates, the better your charge back resolution contract (how much it takes before they halt you account for too many charge backs), the less it impacts them when customers do charge back, all because of the sheer number of people using it. In other words, they are large enough to be able to accept X number of charge backs (fraud) without it impacting their bottom line. When it comes to most service providers if you look at their contract they are seen as a service and not a product so there are different rights afford to them in regards to the charge back process and how much they can afford to have charged back before their contract is canceled.

This is also why most smaller online businesses only use Paypal to accept credit cards for them, because if they were to use a real merchant account with a bank account they would end up with too many charge backs during their start to maintain the contract. Paypal helps deal with this for you for smaller vendors and is one of the main reasons people prefer them.

So again, it comes back to the number of transactions and how risky your transaction is based on predetermined criteria they have in place during a fraud review of your account sign-up.

They could have just decided not to deal with you at all and ignored you (they have every right to decide who they do and do not do business with), at least in this case they are saying, "Hey we think this might be fraud but we want to give you an opportunity to prove it isn't by you proving who you are; here are your options to do so..."

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Yep, hit the nail on the head. You can bet your ass Spotify, Dropbox, and all the big names would resort to the same thing if their fraud rates came out to 30% of their payments. Hosts here are literally fighting against numbers this high and higher.

Don't blame the people trying to survive the best way they know how. Don't ask them to trade putting food on the table and the quality of the service they're selling you just to ease paranoid fears. Trust them or don't. If you don't, move on and find a new provider. Simple as that. The people you really blame for it are the fraudsters trying to bend this entire industry over and stick it in. They're the reason the providers do this. It's not like they woke up one day and decided "I have too many customers, I need to bottleneck the order flow and generate negative reviews."

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug netomx
  • antik0antik0 Member

@Amitz said:
    Because they are sick and secretly masturbate while looking at pictures of people holding their credit card. They are sick people. Very sick. Incredibly sick.

No picture on credit card. Idiot.

Thanked by 2WebProject Amitz

@antik0 said:

@Amitz said:
    Because they are sick and secretly masturbate while looking at pictures of people holding their credit card. They are sick people. Very sick. Incredibly sick.

Damn. You got him.

Thanked by 3WebProject Amitz netomx
  • antik0antik0 Member

@jarland said:

@antik0 said:

@Amitz said:

Damn. You got him.

I am very clever. You're all a loser. hahahaha

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

Exactly. You are clever and we are not.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Hosts should ask for birth certificate and conception witness.

Thanked by 2netomx KillaKev
  • StevieStevie Member

I sent a picture of my id and then me holding the id. 2 weeks later the company was hacked - don't be like me, if a company asks you to do this just walk away.

@Stevie said:
    I sent a picture of my id and then me holding the id. 2 weeks later the company was hacked - don't be like me, if a company asks you to do this just walk away.

You trusted someone you shouldn't have. But anyway it's just an ID. Could be worse.

• StevieStevie Member

@jarland
    Yea lesson learned.
    I only send it if it is from a reputable company, usually only financial related.

• AmitzAmitz Member

jarland said: You trusted someone you shouldn't have.

I sent a picture of my credit card to SpeedyKVM. I guess I am fucked now, right?

@Amitz said:

jarland said: You trusted someone you shouldn't have.

I sent a picture of my credit card to SpeedyKVM. I guess I am fucked now, right?

As their primary paid shill I have your ID in hand, and a bottle of lotion ready.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I am in good hands then! ;-)

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • @Amitz said:
    I am in good hands then! ;-)

He slipped and dropped you. His good hands were too slippery after using the entire bottle of lotion at once.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

WebProject said: Sometimes the payment system reverse and ask for signature, even if you used PIN to validate transaction

No, the US really still uses magnet/track 2 for payments in most cases. If you do chip+pin no one ever will ask to sign anything. A chip+pin chargeback is next to impossible (as is money withdrawal on ATM, which is chip+pin always, even in the US).

TheLinuxBug said: They could have just decided not to deal with you at all and ignored you (they have every right to decide who they do and do not do business with)

Generally yes but not blanket statement like this - There are anti discrimination laws to be followed - declining service in EU for being from another EU country is illegal. The OVH case was long fought out.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jtkjtk Member

@TheLinuxBug said:
    If you can't trust them with a picture of your ID or your credit card which you have watermarked

[...]

then how can you trust them with your data and then why would you want to use their service?

This makes an assumption that may not be valid. For instance, in my use of LEB providers "[my] data" does not require an equivalent amount of trust as what a minority of providers might ask for. Nothing on the VMs, nor anything in the control panel or billing system, which includes contact information, is nearly as much a threat if exposed as other personal and financial information most providers do not require (e.g. credit card images, passport scans).

edited June 2017

@jtk said:

@TheLinuxBug said:
    If you can't trust them with a picture of your ID or your credit card which you have watermarked

[...]

then how can you trust them with your data and then why would you want to use their service?

This makes an assumption that may not be valid. For instance, in my use of LEB providers "[my] data" does not require an equivalent amount of trust as what a minority of providers might ask for. Nothing on the VMs, nor anything in the control panel or billing system, which includes contact information, is nearly as much a threat if exposed as other personal and financial information most providers do not require (e.g. credit card images, passport scans).

While the data on your server may not be of high value to you, understand that them allowing you access to servers as a neighbor to a customer who does care about their data is an entry into a trust relationship. It may not be important to you, but that server is very important to them and to another customer of theirs. You will be granted the ability to cause problems for the server and that other customer, no matter the importance of the data you plan to store there. That trust will have already been misplaced in others who did cause problems, and they want to make sure you're not their next bad decision. It's because they give a shit about that other customer, and they don't know you yet.

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug Pwner
  • mikecmikec Member

Requesting credit card image is a common way for hosting providers to reduce card-not-present fraud. Some providers will even asking for photo ID to match the card holder name.

WHMCS supports fraud screening service like minFraud and FraudLabs Pro. However, the chance to catch first incident of card fraud is lower. Therefore, additional steps are recommended.