Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Optimizing rTorrent
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Optimizing rTorrent

ChronicChronic Member
edited July 2013 in Help

I've been planning on setting up rTorrent to use a VPS as a seedbox. I was wondering if anybody else did the same before and how they ended up optimizing their configuration to minimize the amount of node abuse? Mainly disk usage.

I've been looking at some options and there are some advanced settings that might be useful, but I'd rather not experiment and make it worse if somebody else has already done their research and knows what's best and what isn't.

The VPS is running on KVM, if that changes anything.

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Well, disk space shouldn't be a problem as far as abuse goes, but if you're worried about running out then you can set close_low_diskspace.

Disk I/O shouldn't be a problem since it's limited by the network, which you can always throttle with upload_rate, download_rate.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @perennate said:
    Well, disk space shouldn't be a problem as far as abuse goes, but if you're worried about running out then you can set close_low_diskspace.

Disk I/O shouldn't be a problem since it's limited by the network, which you can always throttle with upload_rate, download_rate.

Yeah network abuse would probably come first unless there's not enough memory set as cache.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Pre-allocating torrents should reduce fragmentation and in theory, reduce disk seeks, particularly for large torrents.

Add this line in the config file system.file_allocate.set = yes.
    The libtorrent binary should be compiled with the --with-posix-fallocate flag for that line to be recognised.

For Debian, libtorrent v0.12.7-2+ comes compiled with that flag, which means default packages from Wheezy and Squeeze-backports should be able to support pre-allocation.

Thanked by 1Chronic