Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone explain inbound outbound traffic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can someone explain inbound outbound traffic?

maylimayli Member
edited May 2017 in Help

for some vps/Dedi/Colo service, we got unlimited free inbound traffic but usually <2T outbound traffic. That is because the network operator get paid for inbound traffic, and have to pay for the outbound traffic right?

So here is my question, why not all vps providers get unlimited free inbound? And can I make money by generating tons of inbound traffic? (I remember someone said ACD is making money for people uploading their Linux ISOs)

Comments

• I dont think any provider gets paid for inbound traffic. Where did you hear that ?

• maylimayli Member

@Junkless said:
    I dont think any provider gets paid for inbound traffic. Where did you hear that ?

I heard that from Plex/ACD users. People don't get banned by massive uploading, but will get banned by massive download.

why LET hosting providers doesn't always give unlimited outbound in their plan?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/115687/let-storage-1-1tb-storage-eu#latest

• PlioserPlioser Member

Inbound traffic paid????

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@mayli said:

@Junkless said:
    I dont think any provider gets paid for inbound traffic. Where did you hear that ?

I heard that from Plex/ACD users. People don't get banned by massive uploading, but will get banned by massive download.

why LET hosting providers doesn't always give unlimited outbound in their plan?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/115687/let-storage-1-1tb-storage-eu#latest

Many providers will limit your outbound traffic to prevent you from using the VPS as a seedbox, especially for storage VPS's like the one you have linked.

Thanked by 1mayli
  • sounds more like SIP trunking

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

mayli said: That is because the network operator get paid for inbound traffic, and have to pay for the outbound traffic right?

Nobody pays you as ISP for inbound traffic.

A server ISP/datacenter pays 95%ile and primarily uses outbound - which means 10G billed if you use 10G outbound regardless if you have 100Mbit or 10G inbound, you can however for free - as you already paid it - use up to outbound inbound more.

So, in basic, only one direction is billed.

mayli said: So here is my question, why not all vps providers get unlimited free inbound?

Because not every datacenter does unmetered inbound, it is fact rather rarely offered at all - This makes sense as if you are large enough, like eg. Leaseweb, you open another branch (In this case Fiberring) and sell your unused inbound to DSL/FTTH/Cable ISPs (which have, as you expect, mostly inbound usage). Or, like OVH, open your own FTTH/Cable/DSL ISP directly.

In short - giving out free stuff, even if you don#t pay for it, is from a commercial and capitalism perspective not useful.

mayli said: And can I make money by generating tons of inbound traffic?

No.

Thanked by 3mayli vpsGOD Fusl
  • the time you get inbound, must be someone sending same volume of outbound

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@tamicrealo said:
    the time you get inbound, must be someone sending same volume of outbound

really, is that true? so... like an exchange? traffic exchange? may be there is money in it though ;-) ;-)

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2017

Falzo said: may be there is money in it though ;-) ;-)

You should give DTAG a call, they might have some good ideas for you ;)

Just curious, is Multicast still a thing nowadays?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jtkjtk Member
    edited June 2017

@brueggus said:
    Just curious, is Multicast still a thing nowadays?

Intra-domain IP multicast still has it's use, but inter-domain is for all practical purposes dead. Very few networks outside a handful that had it running a decade (or more) ago may still have it enabled, but practically no one is adding new inter-domain IP multicast service onto their infrastructure. Some die hards (very few) think AMT is the answer, but personally I think it is one last act of desperation to keep the hope alive.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • twiigltwiigl Member

William said:

mayli said: That is because the network operator get paid for inbound traffic, and have to pay for the outbound traffic right?

Nobody pays you as ISP for inbound traffic.

At hopus you can sell your traffic: http://hopus.net/price

• twiigl said: At hopus you can sell your traffic

Considering i have never seen them, or anyone with their ASN as peer, and they have zero reputation in either France (where they seem to be) or international.... not really, no.

This is also 1:1 what i described - sell your traffic to a DSL ISP as inbound or to a datacenter as outbound, which requires BGP and not just a random server.

• @William said:

twiigl said: At hopus you can sell your traffic

Considering i have never seen them, or anyone with their ASN as peer, and they have zero reputation in either France (where they seem to be) or international.... not really, no.

This is also 1:1 what i described - sell your traffic to a DSL ISP as inbound or to a datacenter as outbound, which requires BGP and not just a random server.

Online has them in their mix: http://netmap.online.net/