Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redhat or Freebsd - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Redhat or Freebsd

2»

Comments

• JinxJinx Member

Now I'm tempted to try FreeBSD.

• @jgillich said:
    Not just that, general desktop/laptop hardware support is awful. It took them almost 4 years to support my old Thinkpad's Intel wireless card. Also touchpad support barely exists.

>

Checking the HCL before hardware purchases is definitely advisable.

I've even had a freaking USB keyboard not function on FreeBSD.

LOL! The future ladies and gentlemen. The future.

To be fair, I have a keyboard that won't wake MacOS from sleep, and the rear USB ports on my Fedora desktop are kind of wonky.

Don't waste your time, Lumina is just terrible. FreeBSD has never really been a good base to build a desktop OS on, but instead of working on fixing that, they've decided the world needs yet another desktop environment? I really don't know what they were thinking..

I'm interested in it as a baremetal server.

Although, I haven't actually gotten to install it on anything due to video problems with the release ISO. I'm going to checkout the latest release, and see if the problem has been fixed.

The got tired of fixing all the Linux specific crap that Linux-centric DEs bring with them. This should have been done years ago, in my opinion.

A little over a decade ago, I used to run FreeBSD as a desktop. FreeBSD then DesktopBSD. I liked it, but I got tired of hours of compile time with the Duron proc I had at the time.

Same thing going on with Solus right now, they're working on the third Budgie rewrite in like a year, have a Mate edition with their own menu, and now also going to add KDE. While Ikey is clearly a cyborg, I fear not even he will be able to handle so much at the same time.

Oh, dear lord. He better not get hit by a bus, or start dating.

• @bsdguy said:
    Not true. I am running a binary nvidia blob on FreeBSD. Both, nvidia and radeon are very well supported and I didn't have any trouble with graphics since years (which means something because I'm aggressively graphics ignorant). It just works, period.

>

I've been scarred by having to take special precautions when updating Linux kernels and running the Nvidia blob, so I'm not particularly fond of it. Of course, AMD's former proprietary driver wasn't great either, but it didn't seem as bad as the Nvidia driver.

Are FreeBSD updates pretty smooth with using the Nvidia blob? It doesn't leave you with a broken system if the Nvidia driver isn't uninstalled first does it?

I'm not particularly up on the status of FreeBSD graphics card support, and most of my information comes from bits I've picked up doing TrueOS research. Here is what I know:

• Intel is the reliable graphics vendor.
    • AMD graphics hardware support is a work in progress.
    • Nvidia hardware is useless without the blob.

For desktops just as you please. For notebooks linux is probably the better choice.

>

I've been pretty happy running Fedora on my notebooks and desktops for the most part. Nvidia hardware can be problematic due to the binary blob needed to really support the hardware, and Fedora being against non-FOSS drivers.

I should mention Korona Linux (https://kororaproject.org/about), a Fedora Remix, which includes a tool to install 3rd-party drivers, like the Nividia blob, Fedora won't ship.