Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap crap tower colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap crap tower colo

hzrhzr Member
edited May 2017 in Requests

What is the cheapest possible place I can dump a dell precision workstation tower somewhere in the US that isn't a scam?

Basically just want power/connectivity/basic cooling for it and an IP or two. Cogent singlehomed is fine .

Comments

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Sure, just get a shelf or a rackmount conversion kit

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

At your home in a basement or balcony.

Weird form factor colocation gets expensive fast, you're way better off renting a cheap dedi from the likes of OVH, than colocating what's basically a 4U, for nowhere near 4U worth of computing power.

• hzrhzr Member

rm_ said: At your home in a basement or balcony.

A single static IP is $50/m unfortunately.

• RizRiz Member

Dacentec use to be cheap for things like this.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

hzr said: A single static IP is $50/m unfortunately.

If that's the most pressing issue then get a 1-5 USD/mo VPS and tunnel the IP to your home server.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Why not buy a 1U chassis and put the Dell mobo in there? Depending on its age it might have a BTX motherboard, make sure to buy the correct one.

Or a better solution, use a GRE tunnel instead :-)

• hzrhzr Member

Comcast residential is all I can get and it sucks ass here. 1TB cap, like 2 mbps upload too.

Moving in a month :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Joe's Datacenter is $50-70/mo for a mid or full tower, with 5 IPs, gig port, 20TB bandwidth.

https://billing.joesdatacenter.com/cart.php?gid=3

Disclaimer: never been a JDC customer myself. They've been around for quite a while.

• @hzr said:

rm_ said: At your home in a basement or balcony.

A single static IP is $50/m unfortunately.

Hah! I was quoted $55/mo because I'm not on a business internet package. Not that it's something to be proud of, but the greediness of my ISP is extreme