Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB providers: What proportion of your business is LEB customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB providers: What proportion of your business is LEB customers

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited July 2013 in General

Did a search, but couldn't find any similar thread. Something I have been thinking about:-

What proportion of your business is LEB/LET customers?

If you didn't have LET/LEB customers, would you still be viable?

Comments

• I think LEB market is a pretty important market because even though the price is lower, the customers sometimes buy just to test out a VPS and not even use it. So while the price may be lower for income, the resources are bought but not used sometimes for OVZ.

• It's hard to measure. Sure there's stuff like Google Analytics, but it's not 100% accurate. How do you determine if someone is a LEB customer?

• @concerto49 said:
    It's hard to measure. Sure there's stuff like Google Analytics, but it's not 100% accurate. How do you determine if someone is a LEB customer?

Well I used separate plans but you could track by LEB specific promo codes. Just some of the methods I would use to track after the sale.

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited July 2013

@concerto49 said:
    It's hard to measure. Sure there's stuff like Google Analytics, but it's not 100% accurate. How do you determine if someone is a LEB customer?

I think he wants to know provides ratio of services that have with people using LEB promos to people who pay full price.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

@PcJamesy said:
    I think he wants to know provides ratio of services that have with people using LEB promos to people who pay full price.

And I think that he wants to know how much customer base come from lowendtalk/lowendbox sites as many today popular hosts rise started here.

• Basically, LET customers(vps)/total customers(vps) x100 = LET %

How signifiant is this % for you, if you were not on LEB/LET, or didn't have LEB customers, would you still be viable?

• SpiritSpirit Member

I hope that whoever answer this will be honest :)

• @Holoshed said:
    Well I used separate plans but you could track by LEB specific promo codes. Just some of the methods I would use to track after the sale.

But how does this work? The problem is, reality: LEB gets scraped / posted on many other sites once the ad hits LEB (yes, definitely seen this). Also, word of mouth and other reasons. What about if they did a Google search and found the ad link on LEB? What counts?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

OK, make it simple. How many people purchase VPS using LEB/LET codes or promotion price to buy their VPS from you, out of a total of all your VPS sales. Regardless of whether they found the code or promotion on google, LET, WHT, their dog told them etc....Don't know how I can it any simpler?

• @concerto49 said:
    But how does this work? The problem is, reality: LEB gets scraped / posted on many other sites once the ad hits LEB (yes, definitely seen this). Also, word of mouth and other reasons. What about if they did a Google search and found the ad link on LEB? What counts?

Well I do understand what you mean there, I guess I can say that you know it started here. While you may not be able to keep track 100% you knew that someone did find it by digging. It brought in a customer you may not have otherwise so you did get that.

As a way of knowing 100%, you never will. You will however know that the post here or LEB did create a web that led a customer back to you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

It is very hard to do that especially since we only have the codes for a while, sometimes a few days and people still see the ad and come from LEB.
    However, since the last quarter poll (BTW, isnt one overdue a bit ?) where we posted due to position and 16th anniversary, we didnt do any other promo and the stock is out on everything but OVerZold and, ironically, the advertized Biz Xen :P

So, it is hard to know for sure, we do have the code on SB which never expires and applies to all products almost and it is easier to know people coming from there, however, it could be just LET people which shared it.

I would give a rough estimate of 30%, but could be wildly off target with as much as 10-15%. That is, from the vps business which has a small part of prometeus in terms of revenue, but a big part in terms of IPs used :P

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@Maounique: That's quite a bit. I thought it would be lower as most of the people on here are providers, but it would appear that a lot of customers visit the LEB site and buy the offer, even though they may not make it to LET. I remember Sal saying in an interview that putting offers on LEB had been helpful in getting the iperweb/prometeus brand known.

I'm kind of surprised (in a good way) as a consumer when I see LEB VPS providers on here, who have purchased 5-10 LEB VPS from other providers on here. I am becoming a VPS hoarder too ;-) since I started visiting LET.

I wonder which is the most popular LEB provider for other LEB providers?

Anyway keep the comments coming in, it is interesting for me a customer...

• @asterisk14 most that post are providers. Most that read but don't post are customers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@asterisk14 We did not really advertise some other place, Uncle is a friend of LEB/LET and did this "business" more like a part time fun job. As soon as DDoSes started to hit, ppl to complain of very low disk speeds of 150 MB/s when big businesses were happy with speeds below 100, running benchmarks by cron and putting up phishing, replica, spam sites, etc, it wasnt fun anymore... he would have expected people to behave like his business customers just at a lower expectation and price, but was a shock for him.

Now things are a bit more balanced, spammers know we terminate at first listing and also complaints for DNS or spamvertized sites, fake shops also know we really take them down even tho DMCAs do not apply here, DDoSers are now caught by our automated tools and booted at first outgoing and second incoming attack, there are still problems, but, while the number of customers grew, the troublemakers are fewer.

Uncle is still not satisfied and dreams to reduce abuse further, but I am amazed it is this low already, dont think will go much lower, this is the nature of the customers, some 10% at least are abusers and fraudsters which can and do twart maxmind and other protections.

We will continue to reward customers in good standing and never repeat the mistake of giving incentives to sign up for our services. We still have ppl from last year with 10 accounts+, it is hard, but I think the worst is over.

I hope I am right :)

• Any other LEB providers want to comment?

• @asterisk14 - I will probably get all customers from LET initially until word of mouth spreads inside the country.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

A good percent, probably around 40-50% of our customers are LEB. Others are word of mouth, which is probably one of the best advertising techniques as well.