Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After reinstallation server doesn't handle special keys anymore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After reinstallation server doesn't handle special keys anymore

BigBlueBigBlue Member
edited June 2013 in Help

Hello LET,

I seem to have a weird problem after switching from Debian 6 to Debian 7 on my VPS.
I am able to successfully connect to it and execute commands, but special keys (i.e. DEL, Arrow-Up etc.) don't seem to work anymore, they just print their sequence (i.e. '^[ [A' for Arrow-Up).
Another thing 'broken' is the TAB-key for auto completion, which now simply inserts the TAB character.
This leaves me quite puzzled, as it appears to be a server problem, due to the problem being consistent in PuTTy, KiTTy and XShell 4.

Any tips and hints are appreciated.

BigBlue

EDIT: Might be relevant, 'echo $TERM' returns 'xterm', which is automatically selected by the SSH clients.

EDIT2: According to this, there might be something wrong with the shell. And indeed, this is the case, 'echo $0' returns '-sh'. However, using 'chsh -s /bin/bash' does not work as it's supposed to and 'echo $0' still returns '-sh'.