Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who uses Pingdom here?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who uses Pingdom here?

I'm curious as to who uses pingdom.com here on LET. Why do you use it? If you don't, what else do you use and why?

Comments

• Too expensive, why would I pay $40+/m when I can use nodeping and zabbix for $15/m

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

I'm fairly certain RamNode does...

Yes - http://status.ramnode.com/

• ChicagoVPS does as well

• site24x7.com has the free plan for that kind of monitoring.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

I use pingdom because its free , not sometimes it is giving me site down notify while i can still access it.. Idk why..

• I use Pingdom for some of my mission-critical sites, since they have very flexible and powerful monitoring options—however, for a lot of sites, I just want to get a text when they're down (especially most of my LEB-hosted sites), so I can log in and reboot the server.

That's why I built Server Check.in :-)

But there are a plethora of free and inexpensive monitoring solutions out there—if nothing else, get a VPS from someone here and install munin or nagios on it, and set it to email you when certain things happen (server's down, memory's full, etc.).

• We use pingdom too, for their nice public status page: http://uptime.fusioned.net/

btw check out lithium.fusioned.net (http://uptime.fusioned.net/114397) that has monitoring stats all the way back to Sep 2009 ;)

For internal monitoring we use Observium and Munin.

• I use pingdom for my blog site. Rest, i use nodeping

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I am using my own software called "AutoBoot" and its a better then pingdom.(multiple function, Monitor VPS for 24x7 hours and If vps goes down then also start vps)

• @geerlingguy said:
    I use Pingdom for some of my mission-critical sites, since they have very flexible and powerful monitoring options—however, for a lot of sites, I just want to get a text when they're down (especially most of my LEB-hosted sites), so I can log in and reboot the server.

That's why I built Server Check.in :-)

But there are a plethora of free and inexpensive monitoring solutions out there—if nothing else, get a VPS from someone here and install munin or nagios on it, and set it to email you when certain things happen (server's down, memory's full, etc.).

What flexible and powerful monitoring options do they have?

• @Brandon said:
    What flexible and powerful monitoring options do they have?

RUM to help diagnose slow/problem pages/regions, a good API to help with complex monitoring scenarios, easy ability to set multiple (and multiple types of) contacts per monitor, lots of options per monitor a good UI to manage everything, and darn near no downtime/shakiness ever, in my experience using them.

For Server Check.in, I just wanted to focus on the monitoring I use most: http/content/ping checks, and email and SMS notifications.

• @DewlanceVPS Mind showing us?

• AutoBoot (tm) is his trademarked thing.

• @Magiobiwan I meant, show us pictures of his AutoBoot platform

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited July 2013

99 percent of Pingdom links that come in are completely inaccurate. I am not sure I have seen a Pingdom monitor actually properly reflect a outage.

• I have a yearly paid plan til end of year but moved to Panopta, much more accurate and get a very professional vibe from their featureset.

• @HC_Ro said:
    99 percent of Pingdom links that come in are completely inaccurate. I am not sure I have seen a Pingdom monitor actually properly reflect a outage.

Does this happen to other people too?

• UsmanUsman Member

A lil off topic my be.. But any one using Pingdom or anything else, how do use HTTP Content check?? (I.e. to make sure all services are up?)
    Any one can point me to a right direction or share code they use fro such tests?
    Thanks

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Brandon said:
    Does this happen to other people too?

I've been using it for more than 2 years and it has always been accurate.

• @ctalkington said:
    I have a yearly paid plan til end of year but moved to Panopta, much more accurate and get a very professional vibe from their featureset.

Are you aware of any discounts on their service at the moment?

• I use pingdom cuz i got a few basic accounts for free from their twitter thing in december last year, I also use it because its accurate and gives you the data you need.

• @ShardHost said:
    Are you aware of any discounts on their service at the moment?

hum, don't think they run many promotions as they offer the 30 day trial etc. i was a bit taken back by the price at first but for what you get its not all that bad compared to Pingdom, seeing as Panopta refills your SMS credits each month which is extra cost at Pingdom, last i logged in.

• I can say that PIngdom is a bit expensive for me and that is why I am using Anturis which is cheaper and more options.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited July 2013

We still use Pingdom but we also recently switched to NodePing, mainly because its cheaper, and we have built a module for HostBill which now lets customers get free monitoring at NodePing with every VPS at LoveVPS.

Both pingdom and NodePing are very good indeed, however NodePing has by far a more advanced configuration than Pingdom. Its just a real shame that NodePing has a terrible site.

• finlandvpsfinlandvps Member
    edited July 2013

I use Pingdom because they provide Android and iPhone Apps and notifications are thus free, no need to send SMS.

I have about 21 checks so far. NodePing would save me $5 / month and would allow me to add up to 200 checks. But they dont have phone apps, although they provide unlimited SMS alerts which would do, but I'd have test how good their international SMS alerts are. Sometimes I've had issues with SMS providers.

NodePing doesn't support Paypal monthly payments, you'd have to pay 6 months advance. This is bad.

• No one has mentions statuscake

• @finlandvps said:
    I use Pingdom because they provide Android and iPhone Apps and notifications are thus free, no need to send SMS.

I have about 21 checks so far. NodePing would save me $5 / month and would allow me to add up to 200 checks. But they dont have phone apps, although they provide unlimited SMS alerts which would do, but I'd have test how good their international SMS alerts are. Sometimes I've had issues with SMS providers.

NodePing doesn't support Paypal monthly payments, you'd have to pay 6 months advance. This is bad.

Shoot them an email, they are pretty flexible on the payment terms, sure they will do a monthly package for you.

• @finlandvps said:

We're working on our PayPal subscription integration currently. It isn't done yet but I'm sure we can work something out.

• @nodeping I sent you an email, but it has not been answered

• Using the free version of Pingdom. It's fine by me, as I just want to know wether the servers are on. I love the handy app for iOS.