Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr 10gbit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr 10gbit?

XeiXei Member
edited May 2017 in Providers

There was an announcement earlier this year: "Up to 10,000Mbps In/Out on Public & Private Network
Our VC2 platform allows up to 10Gigabit of ingress/egress to your instance on both the public and private network. This makes moving, syncing, and backing up your data between your instances and the public faster than ever."

Out of curiosity has anyone seen speeds exceeding 1gbit? My VPS are years old so.. whenever they first started.. and I regularly see 1gbit but never faster. Perfectly happy with 1gbit but I'd love to see faster speeds if possible.

Comments

• XeiXei Member

Do I need to make a new VPS to get the 10gbit interface?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited May 2017

My guess is you'll rarely, if ever, see speeds in excess of 1Gbps unless transferring between machines inside their network. It will largely depend on the the other endpoint if the connectivity and machine will support speeds 1Gbps+. I think there are some 10Gbps download test servers that you can probably check to see what kind of speeds you can get, again the route in between the nodes could limit the speed however.

• DaveADaveA Member

@Xei said:

All VC2 with 2.xGHz = 10Gbps Public/Private
    All VC2 with 3.xGHz = 1Gbps Public/Private

Thanked by 1Xei
  • @DaveA said:

@Xei said:

Taking a guess but 2.x are E5 and 3.x are E3?

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2017

GenjiSwitchPls said: Taking a guess but 2.x are E5 and 3.x are E3?

Vultr doesn't like to admit what is used... they just call it "Virtual CPU"

Vultr also doesn't like to admit that the $2.50 VPS is a gimmick and not actually for sale.

But @DaveA is a genuine sweetheart, though. Nothing personal against him.

• @DaveA said:

@Xei said:

Have any more 3.xGhz in Seattle?

• WickedWicked Member

@jiggawattz said:

Vultr also doesn't like to admit that the $2.50 VPS is a gimmick and not actually for sale.

They are available in Miami and NJ. But I get your point.

• DaveADaveA Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Correct. The 2.xGHz are 100% E5's, 3.xGhz are a mix of E5-1650's and E3's.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jiggawattz said: Vultr also doesn't like to admit that the $2.50 VPS is a gimmick and not actually for sale.

Thanked by 2Yura AnthonySmith
  • XeiXei Member

@DaveA said:

@Xei said:

Thanks I'll look into it tonight.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:

jiggawattz said: Vultr also doesn't like to admit that the $2.50 VPS is a gimmick and not actually for sale.

Is that an actual woman or a sentient handbag?

• @DaveA said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Correct. The 2.xGHz are 100% E5's, 3.xGhz are a mix of E5-1650's and E3's.

Is there anyway of being able to select one? Or is it a case of keep trying

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: Is that an actual woman or a sentient handbag?

It's tentacle softcore.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Nekki said: Is that an actual woman or a sentient handbag?

It's tentacle softcore.

Pfffft, softcore...

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • bapbap Member

@DaveA said:

@Xei said:

@jiggawattz said:

But @DaveA is a genuine sweetheart, though. Nothing personal against him.

Hm... Vultr 10Gbps Singapore ping takes about 180-300ms from Indonesia, while DO and Linode just take about 18ms.

It seems like $2.5 plan is not the only 'gimmick' :)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • bap said: Hm... Vultr 10Gbps Singapore ping takes about 180-300ms from Indonesia, while DO and Linode just take about 18ms.

But after that 300 ms, you're still getting that 10Gbps to your grandmother's desktop in the village - right?

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. (Frankfurt) [2.07 km]: 7.453 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 3950.74 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 1713.73 Mbit/s

Looks like 1+ gigabit to me

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

Has anyone ever figured out whether they use RAID0 to get the speed and capacity but no redundancy?

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

I've usually gotten speeds around 2-4Gbit when doing tests in Atlanta :)

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@Zerpy said:

Testing download speed................................................................................
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................

Not using speedtest.net for testing network performance would be a first step.

• mikewazarmikewazar Member
    edited May 2017

@Zerpy said:

What region is this?

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2017

I have the original 3ghz servers. Am I correct that the 2ghz perform better as they're newer models or something to that extent? In any case I'll be making a new VM or two. Looking forward to the speed boost... envious of those speed tests. :p

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@nik said:

@Zerpy said:

Not using speedtest.net for testing network performance would be a first step.

If I do iperf towards OVH or online.net - still 2.5+ gigabit both ways.

Speedtest.net is fine anyway, since it, ya download and upload stuff ;)

@mikewazar said:

@Zerpy said:

What region is this?

That's Frankfurt.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2017

Xei said: I have the original 3ghz servers. Am I correct that the 2ghz perform better as they're newer models or something to that extent? In any case I'll be making a new VM or two. Looking forward to the speed boost... envious of those speed tests. :p

Not quite apples to apples comparison - E3 is better at single-threaded stuff (higher clock speed) while E5 is better at multi-threaded stuff / parallel processing. Processors of the latter class usually have more cores/threads and hosts crowd many many more VMs on them. (This is why a fatter port is necessary.)

Note: you're not getting additional monthly traffic. Doing 2500+ Mbit/s when you only have 1000GB traffic goes pretty quickly.

Furthermore, this doesn't improve latency, and port speed != actual speed. That's a whole different discussion.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • mikewazarmikewazar Member
    edited May 2017

@Zerpy said:
    That's Frankfurt.

Thanks!

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2017

@jiggawattz said:

Not quite apples to apples comparison - E3 is better at single-threaded stuff (higher clock speed) while E5 is better at multi-threaded stuff / parallel processing. Processors of the latter class usually have more cores/threads and hosts crowd many many more VMs on them. (This is why a fatter port is necessary.)

Note: you're not getting additional monthly traffic. Doing 2500+ Mbit/s when you only have 1000GB traffic goes pretty quickly.

Furthermore, this doesn't improve latency, and port speed != actual speed. That's a whole different discussion.

Thanks I'll do some timed tests in the future to see how the 2ghz perform compared to my 3ghz stuff. I'm not a heavy bandwidth user I just want faster transit speeds when I need them. IMO, for the pricing the 10gbit port seems like a steal if I'm able to consistently get 2500+Mbit (big tbd though as I haven't tested but seems like it delivers > gbit speeds per the speed tests).

• Xei said: IMO, for the pricing the 10gbit port seems like a steal if I'm able to consistently get 2500+Mbit

To where do you think you'll get 2500+ Mbit/s ? Not past the edge of the data center...

• XeiXei Member

I regularly hit 1gbit at the moment. So I figured I'd be able to get faster speeds with a bigger pipe.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@jiggawattz said:

Xei said: IMO, for the pricing the 10gbit port seems like a steal if I'm able to consistently get 2500+Mbit

To where do you think you'll get 2500+ Mbit/s ? Not past the edge of the data center...

That's funny, iperf gives 2500 mbits to OVH and Online.net network - maybe Vultr uses OVH in frankfurt? No?

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2017

@Zerpy said:

@jiggawattz said:

Xei said: IMO, for the pricing the 10gbit port seems like a steal if I'm able to consistently get 2500+Mbit

That's funny, iperf gives 2500 mbits to OVH and Online.net network - maybe Vultr uses OVH in frankfurt? No?

According to jiggawattz that's impossible unless in the same data center. I don't know enough to speak on the matter...