Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Locked out of Porkbun account.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Locked out of Porkbun account.

It's been 20 hours since I've been locked out of my Porkbun account. Every time I try to access my domains, I get this error:

We are unable to process your request due to potential suspicious activity. Please contact support if you believe you're receiving this message in error.

Since the only medium of support they have is either phone or mail, I mailed them, and messaged them on Facebook. 3 e-mails and 20 hours later, no response, and my domains are just sitting there. This happened after I bought 2 domains.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get a transfer? I have 6-7 domains, with expiry upto 2027.

Comments

• ricardoricardo Member

You sound a bit hasty. Try calling them?

They aren't a big registrar and their rates are low so I wouldn't expect stellar responsive support.

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • sonicsonic Veteran

Yes, you should transfer to Namesilo and never look back.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited May 2017

@ricardo said:
    You sound a bit hasty. Try calling them?

They aren't a big registrar and their rates are low so I wouldn't expect stellar responsive support.

20 hours is hasty? :/ I can't call them due to time zone differences.

I paid $8 for a .com yesterday. I think it's fair considering other registrars do it for $1-2.

@sonic said:
    Yes, you should transfer to Namesilo and never look back.

Will definitely look into it once I receive a reply to my mail.

• ricardoricardo Member

Yeah, hasty. Panicky. If it's so time critical you'll need to stay up after bedtime to call :)

If Porkbun follow ICANN rules, you won't be able to transfer the domain out for 60 days after registration.

• $1-2/yr is a promo price so I wouldn't use it as a comparison

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:
    $1-2/yr is a promo price so I wouldn't use it as a comparison

Does that mean I'm underpaying to get reasonable support with my domains? How much should I pay for my domain to get a response within 1 day?

@ricardo said:
    Yeah, hasty. Panicky. If it's so time critical you'll need to stay up after bedtime to call :)

If Porkbun follow ICANN rules, you won't be able to transfer the domain out for 60 days after registration.

The issue is that I've been locked out for a day. And this is the first time this has happened with any registrar.

And honestly, it sucks that I can't transfer them yet. But I will do it eventually. Apparantly, I'm not paying enough for a good service.

• ricardoricardo Member

varunchopra said: Apparantly, I'm not paying enough for a good service.

Clearly you haven't bought many domains or used many registrars. Some (very well known) registrars take at least 72 hours by default.

Their error message says it all. Perhaps your payment got flagged, or perhaps your details didn't seem quite right. There isn't any noise on Twitter about such a message so it doesn't seem like a systematic issue.

Drawing the conclusion that they're inadequate might make you feel better though.

• @ricardo said:

varunchopra said: Apparantly, I'm not paying enough for a good service.

Clearly you haven't bought many domains or used many registrars. Some (very well known) registrars take at least 72 hours by default.

Drawing the conclusion that they're inadequate might make you feel better though.

I don't know how many hours they usually take. I've never been locked out before.

Namecheap support is generally instant, and they have a live chat. I've had domains with them as well. I have 3 domains with BigRock, and I've never needed support for those.

Their error message says it all. Perhaps your payment got flagged, or perhaps your details didn't seem quite right. There isn't any noise on Twitter about such a message so it doesn't seem like a systematic issue.

That is what I assumed, but I've bought domains there earlier so it doesn't seem right to be declared a fraud out of the blue.

• ashkulzashkulz Member

I've also faced this, using a VPN helps.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Porkbun is headquartered in Portland, Oregon.

Hence, it's very likely they're too stoned to look at your ticket now...maybe later...dude...

tl;dr - yes, you should transfer out ASAP.

• I have several domains with them and so far so good. Maybe you should try calling them, even in Oregon it's ten o'clock now so should be fine...

• quickquick Member

He is losing millions ...

Wait I will unlock your account after my lunch

• NekkiNekki Veteran

3 emails in 20 hours may have got you pushed to the bottom of the support pile?

• rokokrokok Member

Im also having this issue when tying to pay, im not using vpn -_-

Wrote email about this never had reply

I guess the venture capital money is gone and they're stuck with $6/10 year .party people like me.

• YuraYura Member

Borkban

• Got a response. They fixed it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@varunchopra said:
    Got a response. They fixed it.

Total time to resolve?

• @Nekki said:

@varunchopra said:

Total time to resolve?

22 hours.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@varunchopra said:

@Nekki said:

@varunchopra said:

Total time to resolve?

22 hours.

That's pretty much ok for a small company. I hope you apologised to them.

• oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

Just want to personally apologize for this and say thank you for your patience in getting it resolved; I'd be pretty upset too if I was locked out of an account for no fault of my own. Unfortunately, with low prices comes a lot of fraud and we try different tools and techniques in an attempt to stay one step ahead. The down side is that there is the occasional false positive. We're using this example to determine ways to better avoid the situation in the future.

Thanks again.

@raindog308 I would just like to point out that we are not VC funded and also not stoned :)

• @varunchopra said:

@Nekki said:

@varunchopra said:

Total time to resolve?

22 hours.

That's fine, just fine.

• YuraYura Member

@oborseth said:
    I would just like to point out that we are not VC funded and also not stoned :)

Sorry :(

Thanked by 1Jinx
  • 2gouzi2gouzi Member
    edited May 2017

@oborseth said:
    Just want to personally apologize for this and say thank you for your patience in getting it resolved; I'd be pretty upset too if I was locked out of an account for no fault of my own. Unfortunately, with low prices comes a lot of fraud and we try different tools and techniques in an attempt to stay one step ahead. The down side is that there is the occasional false positive. We're using this example to determine ways to better avoid the situation in the future.

Thanks again.

@raindog308 I would just like to point out that we are not VC funded and also not stoned :)

Can you delete youtube video……The website is very slow……from china.

• oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

I feel your pain. I travel to remote locations often and experience this as well. I've got an overall site speed / performance project lined up in the very near future.

• 2gouzi2gouzi Member

@oborseth said:

I feel your pain. I travel to remote locations often and experience this as well. I've got an overall site speed / performance project lined up in the very near future.

Because China can not open youtube........GFW……you know……

oborseth said: I've got an overall site speed / performance project lined up in the very near future.

Thanked by 1Jinx
  • @oborseth I'm in the same situation with blocking right now, but Support (Hi Eddie!) offered me to use VPN to get back access to my account with a lot of domains. I truly believe that it's a "false positive" block and I'm asking for assistance since I'm still an extremely loyal client.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Ban the necromancer!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@brainitup said:
    @oborseth I'm in the same situation with blocking right now, but Support (Hi Eddie!) offered me to use VPN to get back access to my account with a lot of domains. I truly believe that it's a "false positive" block and I'm asking for assistance since I'm still an extremely loyal client.

Holy necro

No congrats on your first post