Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LizCat Acceptable connectivity to China, bad connectivity to the rest of the world (April 2017)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LizCat Acceptable connectivity to China, bad connectivity to the rest of the world (April 2017)

PaleoftPaleoft Member
edited May 2017 in Reviews

Hello, LET mobs.

A few months ago, I bought a VPS from LizCat after reading this post.
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/107781/nyavm-vps-in-la-sjc-only-4-5-month#latest

4.5 USD for direct China route is a decent deal.
Back then, I needed a direct China route VPS which could be a proxy server of my machine in Beijing. Otherwise, it might take a long time to deploy my project on Github and grab data from Dallas Softlayer. At the very beginning, the performance was OK. I happily did some testings. In term of China connectivity, it was a good deal.

However, after buying the VPS for a few days.
The provider sent me an email and said that they were facing 5Gbps DDoS attack.
I was fine as I did not need the proxy server immediately. However, after the attack, the connectivity did not come back again.
After a few days, I connected to the VPS and tried to download data from Dallas Softlayer. The connectivity to Softlayer Dallas was terrible. Only a hundred KB/s.

I checked ping and traceroute. Nothing special.
I decided to put it away and waited for a period.

Two weeks later, I did another testing.
Here are the results:

VPS Information:
2 vCPU (I added one CPU)
1 GB RAM
1 Gbps port
Ubuntu 16.04
10 USD / month

Linode

Linode Dallas

Linode US East

Linode US West

--

Softlayer

Softlayer Dallas

Softlayer Germany

Softlayer Hong Kong

Softlayer WDC

Softlayer Seoul

Softlayer SJC

--

Speedtest ( China server)

--

At that time, I had a rectified VPS
I also did a Speedtest (China server)

--

Comparing with Rectified Direct China Route VPS, LizCat VPS did have better performance in term of China connectivity.

However, it still looks pretty dead to me. Where's 1Gbps port? Only hundreds KB/s download speed from Linode and Softlayer could not satisfice my request.

--

Conclusion

I did not expect 1Gbps connection to China. Not with 10 USD per month. To be fair, my VPS did have good China connectivity. However, it doesn't matter. Given the bad connection to the rest of the world, I did not know what I can do with it. The only option was releasing this VPS and move on. 20 USD for a one-time proxy.

Today I saw LizCat giving out free KVM for one month, which reminded me this incident. In the provider's post, they claimed that many Chinese customers canceled their service. I think they do have a good reason to do so.

Comments

• EdmondEdmond Member

Well I did notice when I was testing my VPS that Asia connectivity was good but to most locations in other parts of the world is poor, but for me, I'm happy since it's free. Not sure what the customers will say however..

Thanked by 1Paleoft
  • tamicrealotamicrealo Member
    edited May 2017

Lizcat had bad reputation in Chinese community, at least that is what I heard, I myself had used their VPS a while ago,

cannot say "bad", but that had nothing to do with "good", once you paid, you are ignored and their manager Amy seems to be arrogant to me.

I sent a few PM to her inquire about their new LA node, she was like never reply PM to me, while she was still chatting in the group that I am also in...so I asked her: why don't you reply to my PM, she said I don't want to (I am still a customer)...OK that's her right not to respond..but that is arrogant from what I see.

I have 4 Chinese group chat thing (all of them are like hundreds populated active), three of them forbid Lizcat, I didn't know why in the very beginning, until I became one of the Lizcat customer.

• m3gfm3gf Member
    edited May 2017

the way they handle tickets is absurd.

They themselves suffer from ddos ​​attacks from the competitors,and this caused their services offline,

customer opened a ticket, ask what happend or ask for refund or something,

staff replied "we do not offer refund, but you can cancel the service so you wont be charged in the next billing circle "

• m3gfm3gf Member

provider themsevles suffer from attack , but the customer bear the loss?

what a crap logic.

• PaleoftPaleoft Member

@Edmond said:
    Well I did notice when I was testing my VPS that Asia connectivity was good but to most locations in other parts of the world is poor, but for me, I'm happy since it's free. Not sure what the customers will say, however...

The bad connectivity in other parts of the world is the main reason I canceled my VPS.
    I even could not finish one bench.sh test.

@tamicrealo said:
    Lizcat had bad reputation in Chinese community, at least that is what I heard, I myself had used their VPS a while ago,

cannot say "bad", but that had nothing to do with "good", once you paid, you are ignored and their manager Amy seems to be arrogant to me.

I sent a few PM to her inquire about their new LA node, she was like never reply PM to me, while she was still chatting in the group that I am also in...so I asked her: why don't you reply to my PM, she said I don't want to (I am still a customer)...OK, that's her right not to respond..but that is arrogant from what I see.

I have 4 Chinese group chat thing (all of them are like hundreds populated active), three of them forbid Lizcat, I didn't know why in the very beginning until I became one of the Lizcat customers.

Hmm...
    An interesting story from the other side as the provider said that they blocked "certain areas" customer to prevent abuses and fraud. Looks like the provider does have some problem.

@m3gf said:
    provider themselves suffer from an attack, but the customer bears the loss?

what a crap logic.

I did not ask for a refund. After reading your post, I am happy I didn't do so.

OK, I have a more clear image now.
    I read their TOS. They did not have any refund policy.
    Customers who tried to get their money back will be marked as fraud.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Paleoft said: n the provider's post, they claimed that many Chinese customers canceled their service. I think they do have a good reason to do so.

I'm guessing you didn't really read the whole post, did you, as the reason was explained...

• PaleoftPaleoft Member
    edited May 2017

@raindog308 said:

Paleoft said: n the provider's post, they claimed that many Chinese customers canceled their service. I think they do have a good reason to do so.

I'm guessing you didn't really read the whole post, did you, as the reason was explained...

Missed the part of cutting down CN2.
    Thanks for reminding. I know the reason now.

--

Hmm...
    Back to April, my VPS still had the CN2 connection.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Paleoft said:

@raindog308 said:

Hmm...

Likely removed due to cost.

The thing with CN2 is once its known a host has it, there's a mass migration of users to that provider and will likely pop their 95%.

CN2 is expensive, and most VPN customers after it aren't willing to pay the sticker for it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • PaleoftPaleoft Member

@Francisco said:

@Paleoft said:

@raindog308 said:

Hmm...

The thing with CN2 is once its known a host has it, there's a mass migration of users to that provider and will likely pop their 95%.

CN2 is expensive, and most VPN customers after it aren't willing to pay the sticker for it.

Francisco

That's probably the case. CN2 is necessary for the VPN users in China. I usually migrate analyzed data from/to my China node at 9 pm UTC+1 to avoid peak time.

I left before CN2 was cut down.
    CN2 is not the main reason I canceled my service.
    At that time, the connectivity to other part was just too bad.
    To be fair, the average speedtest result of the VPS was 125Mbps at that time. The 1Gbps port was still there.

• admsamadmsam Member

N> @Francisco said:

@Paleoft said:

@raindog308 said:

Hmm...

Francisco

Not only this. Someone will DDOS your network if you offer CN2 to china community. This will caused China run away and you have to spend a huge money to defend your own network. We just launched the package for less than one weeks and attracted 3 days attack.

@admsam said:
    Not only this. Someone will DDOS your network if you offer CN2 to china community. This will caused China run away and you have to spend a huge money to defend your own network. We just launched the package for less than one weeks and attracted 3 days attack.

Possible. Some of the networks I know that claim to offer CN2 also have DDOS protection, but I'm pretty certain that they'll be removing CN2 very soon just because users will be moving there and blowing their limits.

One provider I know claims to have 100Gbit+ of China bandwidth and "won't remove CN2", but I highly doubt it.

I've been shopping around for some china transit but I can never get a straight quote. One vendor I tested sold me CN2 transit and then when it came to the final network it was HE only.

Francisco

• JonesJones Member
    edited May 2017

LizCat=nyavm,You just need to stay away from them!

Can not say "bad", but that had nothing to do with "good"
      , Is already euphemistic evaluation, there are worse than this?

• admsamadmsam Member

@Francisco said:

@admsam said:

Possible. Some of the networks I know that claim to offer CN2 also have DDOS protection, but I'm pretty certain that they'll be removing CN2 very soon just because users will be moving there and blowing their limits.

One provider I know claims to have 100Gbit+ of China bandwidth and "won't remove CN2", but I highly doubt it.

I've been shopping around for some china transit but I can never get a straight quote. One vendor I tested sold me CN2 transit and then when it came to the final network it was HE only.

Francisco

In fact we can use CN2 to offer budget vps without any influence by DDOS. You can remain without remove CN2 for outgoing traffic, upon DDOS attack, out traffic will be slow down too. But at least much better than other transit.

Secondly no matter the provider have antiddos or not, source attack from Antiddos not much help. Antiddos buy a huge capacity from transit provider like NTT, Cogent, Telia, but incoming attack traffic from china mede the congestion in between the their peering point. I am just noticed this problem yesterday.

admsam said: In fact we can use CN2 to offer budget vps without any influence by DDOS. You can remain without remove CN2 for outgoing traffic, upon DDOS attack, out traffic will be slow down too. But at least much better than other transit.

Sure, and if you get a huge rush of users and can't afford it anymore? I don't see CN2 being any cheaper over there than what's in the USA.

I've spent probably a month so far trying to find a reasonable price on it but everything is coming back in the $5/mbit range.

Given how many $15/year chinese VPN's we'd get, that price never works out for us.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

admsam said: In fact we can use CN2 to offer budget vps without any influence by DDOS. You can remain without remove CN2 for outgoing traffic, upon DDOS attack, out traffic will be slow down too. But at least much better than other transit.

Sure, and if you get a huge rush of users and can't afford it anymore? I don't see CN2 being any cheaper over there than what's in the USA.

I've spent probably a month so far trying to find a reasonable price on it but everything is coming back in the $5/mbit range.

Given how many $15/year chinese VPN's we'd get, that price never works out for us.

Francisco

Slices only for China routing.

Have a Slice day

• admsamadmsam Member

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I wont sell USD15/year. this is too cheap

@admsam said:

I was thinking a dollar or two extra to CN transit.

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Have a Slice day

Slice slice baby!

Francisco

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • admsamadmsam Member

@Francisco said:

@admsam said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Have a Slice day

Slice slice baby!

Francisco

I am selling USD5 with CN2. After offer i get 3 days DOS ATTACK in return. Good luck to you.

• m3gfm3gf Member

@admsam said:

@Francisco said:

@admsam said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Have a Slice day

Slice slice baby!

Francisco

I am selling USD5 with CN2. After offer i get 3 days DOS ATTACK in return. Good luck to you.

Is the attack stop now?

• admsamadmsam Member

yup stop. not sure will come back or not.

• m3gfm3gf Member

@admsam said:

What about the route? change back to gia cn2?

• admsamadmsam Member

@m3gf said:

@admsam said:

change since yesterday night. why? you gonna ddos me again? haha

• m3gfm3gf Member

@admsam said:

@m3gf said:

@admsam said:

i am trying to order one , if you have changed it back to CN2.

• admsamadmsam Member

@m3gf said:

@admsam said:

@m3gf said:

@admsam said:

i am trying to order one , if you have changed it back to CN2.

Thanks for your support. You are always welcome to our network.