Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customer either was hacked or broke TOS, rant, etc. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Customer either was hacked or broke TOS, rant, etc.

13»

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@sin said:
    So a "hacker" hacks into a box just to setup quickbox and torrent?

A pirating pirate, one might say. :P

Thanked by 1sin
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

The evidence provided does not prove the op installed the software. Sure it is still his respondsibility for the vps. Now of his login ip to the vps matches or is owned by the same isp as his sign up ip... that would pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@risharde said:
    The evidence provided does not prove the op installed the software. Sure it is still his respondsibility for the vps. Now of his login ip to the vps matches or is owned by the same isp as his sign up ip... that would pretty much hit the nail on the head me

Whether or not he installed the software is irrelevant. Either the OP willfully installed the software, allowed someone to install the software or failed to secure the server, thus allowing the installation by a bad actor. Either way, why would the provider want them around?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Nekki said: Either the OP willfully installed the software, allowed someone to install the software or failed to secure the server, thus allowing the installation by a bad actor. Either way, why would the provider want them around?

That's precisely the issue.

Even if we are to believe that OP didn't install the software and a 'hacker' did it, it's an unmanaged service - No-one's holding your hand.

GenjiSwitchPls said: Pretty sure Elliot/hawc/Rhys sent this

I'm taking full responsibility for this one. On election night I'll be playing the Theresa May drinking game, every time 'strong' or 'stable' is uttered by someone from the Conservatives, take a shot. Wish me luck.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ElliotJ said: every time 'strong' or 'stable' is uttered by someone from the Conservatives, take a shot. Wish me luck

damn... you might want to play that near a hospital.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@ElliotJ said:
    I'm taking full responsibility for this one. On election night I'll be playing the Theresa May drinking game, every time 'strong' or 'stable' is uttered by someone from the Conservatives, take a shot. Wish me luck.

Can we have an election night special thread?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member

Nekki said: Can we have an election night special thread?

Up for 8 hours or so and then mod-dumped? I'll see what I can swing. Otherwise I'll be drunkenly ranting on Discord.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ElliotJ said:

Up for 8 hours or so and then mod-dumped? I'll see what I can swing. Otherwise I'll be drunkenly ranting on Discord.

Why not drunkenly rant on here?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Nekki said: Why not drunkenly rant on here?

• teamaccteamacc Member

@Nekki said:

@ElliotJ said:

Why not drunkenly rant on here ABOUT discord?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@ElliotJ said:

Nekki said: Why not drunkenly rant on here?

We both know you'll start ranting over there and never come back :-(

• @Nekki said:

@ElliotJ said:

I'm all up for a election night thread. The second drinking game is everytime the BBC says Brexit.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Nekki said: We both know you'll start ranting over there and never come back :-(

Join us.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@teamacc said:

Why not drunkenly rant on here ABOUT discord?

I'm one heavy night out away from that.

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

I'm all up for a election night thread. The second drinking game is everytime the BBC says Brexit.

Third game is a shot every time anyone says a variation of 'surely Corbin must go?'

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Nekki said: Third game is a shot every time anyone says a variation of 'surely Corbin must go?'

and down your drink if Paul Nuttall gets screen time?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2017

@teamacc said:
    VPS suspended due to different ips. Hosts wants ID card, OP doesnt understand why.

OP creates paypal claim, piohost wins said claim.

Drama.

I don't knowwwwwww. My bank, PayPal, and OVH have my ID for MAGICAL reasons. My IP address matches though.... I really WONDER what they need it for. What is this wizardry????

That aside, @Bopie should've refunded the OP. He's too much hassle.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@doghouch said:

@teamacc said:
    VPS suspended due to different ips. Hosts wants ID card, OP doesnt understand why.

OP creates paypal claim, piohost wins said claim.

Drama.

I don't knowwwwwww. My bank, PayPal, and OVH have my ID for MAGICAL reasons. My IP address matches though.... I really WONDER what they need it for. What is this wizardry????

That aside, @Bopie should've refunded the OP. He's too much hassle.

He even might have considered that, but given that OP tried to chargeback it's most likely not going to happen.

• @teamacc Just saw that. Bookie should leave him without a refund. He's one PITA. FraudRecord + move on.

• YuraYura Member

@Mod, would you consider to change the topic's title to something more appropriate now?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Yura said:
    @Mod, would you consider to change the topic's title to something more appropriate now?

Suggestion: "PIOHOST LTD is super delicious!!"

Thanked by 1Bopie
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2017

@Nekki said:

@risharde said:
    The evidence provided does not prove the op installed the software. Sure it is still his respondsibility for the vps. Now of his login ip to the vps matches or is owned by the same isp as his sign up ip... that would pretty much hit the nail on the head me

Whether or not he installed the software is irrelevant. Either the OP willfully installed the software, allowed someone to install the software or failed to secure the server, thus allowing the installation by a bad actor. Either way, why would the provider want them around?

I agree, I just saw people posting the assumption that the OP installed the software... which isn't necessarily the case. I also mentioned what I thought would be near definite proof to me what would guarantee such an accusation. By no means did I continue on to say that he wasn't responsible nevertheless - but I have to say, there's a difference between a customer getting hacked and a customer purposely being malicious.

And the rabbit hole can get even deeper if the "hack" or unauthorized entry of the VPS was via the host control panel for example. Just saying there's much to be desired on the information side of things.

• psb777psb777 Member

Bopie said: Ok now here is a picture as I entered your container now remember above your ID is 106:

Just curious. How did you spot that a container was running a seedbox? Did you got an abuse complaint?

Suppose a client installed no torrenting software at all, but he just changed MOTD (message of the day) to a fake banner just like this. Alternatively, he used the seedbox script, but never run it. Are these also grounds for suspension/termination? I think a motd banner is hardly a shred of proof of abuse.

• BopieBopie Member

@psb777 said:

Bopie said: Ok now here is a picture as I entered your container now remember above your ID is 106:

Just curious. How did you spot that a container was running a seedbox? Did you got an abuse complaint?

Suppose a client installed no torrenting software at all, but he just changed MOTD (message of the day) to a fake banner just like this. Alternatively, he used the seedbox script, but never run it. Are these also grounds for suspension/termination? I think a motd banner is hardly a shred of proof of abuse.

Im not sure why you chimed in on a thread that clearly has died, However as you seem to want to try and fight against me even after all the proof, The container was using way over our allowed bandwidth speed and do you really think i would just terminate from a MOTD, Not at all, iv been in this business for to long to know someone could be playing a prank, When i accessed the servers ip guess what came up? I think its obvious.

The client has been terminated on the grounds that he broke TOS and one thing i DO NOT allow is torrenting and that is made very clear to everyone.

• psb777psb777 Member

Bopie said: Im not sure why you chimed in on a thread that clearly has died, However as you seem to want to try and fight against me even after all the proof, The container was using way over our allowed bandwidth speed and do you really think i would just terminate from a MOTD, Not at all, iv been in this business for to long to know someone could be playing a prank, When i accessed the servers ip guess what came up? I think its obvious.

You don't really have to be this defensive. I have no intention to fight you or challenge you and your expertise in this business. I think you must've got good reason to terminate, not just from a MOTD.

However, as a total drama viewer, I have to say "all the proof" you showed in this thread was the MOTD, no? I chimed in because actually I am a prankster myself ;-) You said the container used too much bw speed, a bandwidth graph would have been a better proof. my two cents.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

psb777 said: I chimed in because actually I am a prankster myself

Please find new pranks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yura said: @Mod, would you consider to change the topic's title to something more appropriate now?

Done

FYI @piohost

This discussion has been closed.