Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Winter Deals Request
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Winter Deals Request

DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
edited May 2017 in Requests

Hello,

Anyone have C2750 Online.net Winter Deal to sell?
It's c2750+1TB+8GB RAM, iirc, the price should be between 7usd (the original price) and 12usd.

I'm pretty sure that someone have this server and don't need it anymore.

Comments

• You cant transfer it and you are unlikely to have it out sourced without a 20 euro deposit

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • @GenjiSwitchPls said:
    You cant transfer it and you are unlikely to have it out sourced without a 20 euro deposit

Why do I need a deposit?

And I can just rent one, from someone that have but is not using.

• @DigitalJosee said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    You cant transfer it and you are unlikely to have it out sourced without a 20 euro deposit

Why do I need a deposit?

You can rent one but the deposit is due to the installation of windows via the outsourcing option. If you dont want to pay the deposit you wont have access to instant reinstalls or reboots you will have to submit tickets.

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • @GenjiSwitchPls said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Why do I need a deposit?

You can rent one but the deposit is due to the installation of windows via the outsourcing option. If you dont want to pay the deposit you wont have access to instant reinstalls or reboots you will have to submit tickets.

I have no problems with that, I rarely reboot/reinstall and I'll use Ubuntu.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • teamaccteamacc Member

Check wishosting.com, the v-dedi avoton is the spring special being resold as a full-node kvm "vps". @exception0x876

• @teamacc said:
    Check wishosting.com, the v-dedi avoton is the spring special being resold as a full-node kvm "vps". @exception0x876

I talked with him, but his VPS have "only" 800Gb and 7Gb.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2017

Yeah that's virtualization overhead. Remember that a "1TB" hard drive, per HDD manufacturer custom, is 10^12 bytes which is what computer people would call 931GB (931 * 2^30). No idea where the other 131GB goes. Probably some tens of GB needed for Proxmox system and outer file system overhead, etc. But I wonder if more could be allocated to you.

Anyway most people won't be comfortable loaning/outsourcing those servers because they're still responsible for any misuse. Promo servers are great for building up your idle server collection, but if you've actually got a sane business requirement for a server, they're still cheap even if you pay Online's "retail".

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited May 2017

I misread the title and actually got excited thinking it was another round of deals from online.net #sad

Thanked by 1netomx
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

willie said: Yeah that's virtualization overhead. Remember that a "1TB" hard drive, per HDD manufacturer custom, is 1012 bytes which is what computer people would call 931GB (931 * 230). No idea where the other 131GB goes. Probably some tens of GB needed for Proxmox system and outer file system overhead, etc. But I wonder if more could be allocated to you.

You are right. 3GB is used for OS and another 34GB for OS templates. So it is actually possible to allocate around 880GB.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

teamacc said: resold as a full-node kvm "vps".

This is just pointless wankery, if reselling as 1 VPS per server, could just as well resell the entire server as dedi.

• edited May 2017

@rm_ said:

teamacc said: resold as a full-node kvm "vps".

This is just pointless wankery, if reselling as 1 VPS per server, could just as well resell the entire server as dedi.

I seem to remember reading @exception0x876 saying somewhere it was to allow quicker OS reinstalls (or something along those lines, probably more to it) & I guess it prevents the user installing Windows on it & having the account owner charged for it on the Online servers, which seems to be a fairly common problem.

Edit - here's the message I'm referring to: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2167731/#Comment_2167731

edited May 2017

matthewkilpatrick said: I guess it prevents the user installing Windows on it

You do not have to give the Online.net outsourcing, here in this thread the OP specifically says it's okay without that.

KVM does have its overhead, on all three of CPU, I/O and network, most noticeably on the latter two. And these Atoms are already far from being the fastest CPUs in the world.

• @rm_ said:

matthewkilpatrick said: I guess it prevents the user installing Windows on it

You do not have to give the Online.net outsourcing, here in this thread the OP specifically says it's okay without that.

KVM does have its overhead, on all three of CPU, I/O and network, most noticeably on the latter two. And these Atoms are already far from being the fastest CPUs in the world.

I must have skimmed over the part about the OP not needing outsourcing, my mistake there, although I guess that's a primary reason that it's being sold as that on the Wishosting site in that way.
    I guess it is ultimately @exception0x876 's decision as to how the server is sold, so there must have been some good incentive to have overheads of running a hypervisor & VM on machine in contrast to selling the server as just a dedicated machine, and whilst not giving the same performance as running the OS on the dedi directly, still probably provides adequate performance for some people in need of dedicated resources.

• I continue to disagree with V-Dedicated.

Theory looks good, look into the security issues and no thanks.

Are you telling me it is easier for the host to provide fully automated reinstalls and reboots? Yeah of course isnt that what IPMI + NOCPS/foreman is for? Okay lets assume IPMI and a PXE solution didnt exist. Who updates and secures the host node? You are telling me its easier to fully manage a host node? Like run apt-get update and keep the kernel upgraded

edited May 2017

GenjiSwitchPls said: security issues

Right, in effect it's a dedi, while it's not. You are not getting 'root' access to the actual hardware, someone else still keeps that, and is entirely free to dump and examine your RAM and FS content without you even knowing.

• @rm_ said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: security issues

Right, in effect it's a dedi, while it's not. You are not getting 'root' access to the actual hardware, someone else still keeps that, and is entirely free to dump and examine your RAM and FS content without you even knowing.

Thats the tinfoil hat security issues above basic trusting them to keep software updated

Thanked by 1willie
  • No one have it?

• I have these servers available:

3x Dedibox Limited 33816 (specs: https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/offers/limited/server-dedibox-limited-edition-33816)
    I can resell them for 19 USD each

3x XC DEALS 1701.1 (specs: https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/offers/limited/server-dedibox-xc-deals-1701-1)
    I can resell them for 12 USD each

As far as I see the specs are the same, I don't know why I have the 33816 :P probably should just cancel them

PayPal or BTC accepted :)

• @ikkizenho said:
    I have these servers available:

3x Dedibox Limited 33816 (specs: https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/offers/limited/server-dedibox-limited-edition-33816)
    I can resell them for 19 USD each

3x XC DEALS 1701.1 (specs: https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/offers/limited/server-dedibox-xc-deals-1701-1)
    I can resell them for 12 USD each

As far as I see the specs are the same, I don't know why I have the 33816 :P probably should just cancel them

PayPal or BTC accepted :)

Sent PM.