Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computing Server for 1 week - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Computing Server for 1 week

2»

Comments

• thistlethistle Member
    edited May 2017

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

This command python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))' is single threaded, while most modern processor are multiple core. Hopefully your workload is parallelized and can use multiple threads. A better test might be to use sysbench (sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run) for a single threaded run, and sysbench (--test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=100000 --num-threads=<cpu cores>) for multiple cpu machines.

I can let you use 2 x E5-2670's for 10c / hour / each. (E5-2670, 128GB ram).

Yes but I just time the result by 4 :) The commands I need to do are single threaded that I am multithreading. (if that makes sense)

I would love for that offer any chance I could get more cores?

• williewillie Member

IonSwitch_Stan said: Only as batch compute nodes

That works for me. Do they have some local storage and network to move data in and out? Thanks

• thistlethistle Member

Please let me know ASAP @IonSwitch_Stan and @GenjiSwitchPls my uni deadline is Thursday!

• thistlethistle Member

I forgot to say. I setup a Vultr $80 a month and it ran the python script in 30 seconds :O Absolutely awful.

• williewillie Member

Thistle, something is awful there: how many loops did it run? The i7-3770 did 100k in around 6 seconds, but a $5/mo DO droplet does 10k in about 1.2 sec. I.e. the script seems to adjust the # of loops depending on the cpu speed.

If I were you I'd just spin up an i7-3770 at Hetzner for a month, and maybe even keep it around after that. Then you can use it any time you want.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

[root@ionswitch-vps1 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release

CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)

[root@ionswitch-vps1 ~]# python --version

Python 2.7.5

[root@ionswitch-vps1 ~]# python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))'

10000 loops, best of 3: 28.7 usec per loop

On an E5-2660v1. Seems like this benchmark's behavior changes quite a bit.

• thistlethistle Member

@willie said:
    Thistle, something is awful there: how many loops did it run? The i7-3770 did 100k in around 6 seconds, but a $5/mo DO droplet does 10k in about 1.2 sec. I.e. the script seems to adjust the # of loops depending on the cpu speed.

If I were you I'd just spin up an i7-3770 at Hetzner for a month, and maybe even keep it around after that. Then you can use it any time you want.

Ahh jesus. Sorry about that. I would love to if I had any money unfortunately a student and just need power ASAP :)

• seanhoseanho Member

From the timeit man page:

If -n is not given, a suitable number of loops is calculated by trying successive powers of 10 until the total time is at least 0.2 seconds.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/timeit.html

Are you sure this particular benchmark (which is just a simple example taken from the timeit documentation) is representative of your actual workload?

• williewillie Member

seanho said: representative of your actual workload?

It's a proxy for overall cpu speed. Geekbench and passmark are the same. The interesting question is whether sklearn knows how to use SSE instructions, HD graphic gpu, Nvidia boards etc. At that point the Python benchmark means nothing.

• wwabbitwwabbit Member

How to cheat on this benchmark....

$ python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))'
    10000 loops, best of 3: 17.7 usec per loop
    $ alias python=pypy
    $ python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))'
    100000 loops, best of 3: 4.1 usec per loop

Thanked by 2thistle MrH