Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

North America docker capable hosting + SSD + some storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

North America docker capable hosting + SSD + some storage

chxchx Member
edited May 2017 in Requests

I am hosting a historical photo archive just because my brother is interested in it, all costs out of my own pocket. It's currently at Hetzner, the machine has SSDs for the database / thumbnail sized pictures (this part just crossed 15GB and grows very slowly) and uses Hetzner network storage for the download sized images (it's closing on a terabyte and growing). This is a lovely setup because the machine itself is screaming fast so browsing is instantaneous while the network storage is so slow that it serves as a natural bandwidth limiter -- and we are fine with that.

I would like a mirror in North America as well. The current lowest price I am aware of is the $25 Dacentec X3440 8GB 2X2TB for $25 + $10 for an SSD. Although perhaps I would want a second SSD to make sure everything is mirrored... but that's academic because this is just a mirror and I am not sure I want to pay $35 again for this. I am guessing that a $5 Linode would do -- but they don't really have a cheap storage solution.

Our traffic currently is two terabyte-ish a month so nothing grievous and I expect the NA mirror would be even less.

Any good ideas?

Comments

• ashkulzashkulz Member

Get a Kimsufi in BHS with a 2TB disk?

• chxchx Member

Where's the SSD in that plan?

• ihadpihadp Member

Do you honestly need the SSD's?

I have a couple image hosting websites which handle millions of requests a day using regular spindle drives and they don't even break a sweat handling it. The database's are on the spindle drives and the websites loading in under a second, near instantaneous.

That said, why do you need to mirror the content? It sounds like you don't have a lot of traffic and mirroring the content sounds a bit extreme for a small home project.

Why not just grow with heztner and setup decent offsite backups?

• @chx said:
    Where's the SSD in that plan?

On Mars, on its way to the DC. No tracking number available sorry.

• chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

@ihadp said:

That said, why do you need to mirror the content? It sounds like you don't have a lot of traffic and mirroring the content sounds a bit extreme for a small home project.

It's quite far from a home project really -- it's about 85 000 historical photos, scanned and tagged by volunteers, quite loved by Hungarians. Making it more available for the North American Hungarian community would be nice -- there are about two million Hungarians in the USA + Canada together, quite significant when the country itself only has 10M. And we all know that while Hetzner hardware prices are great, their US peering is not so great.

I guess I should get a small server with just spinning rust and see how fast it is.

And yes, we have an offsite backup. Everything is rsync'd daily to a storage VPS at delimiter (it's only a terabyte, I will figure out what to do when it fills up but it was 63 USD a year for a terabyte), and to a HDD hanging off my router (very sophisticated backup solution, that one is, it's sitting on the shelf raw with a small AC/DC brick and a USB to SATA cable) and a noez.de VPS (95 cents, lol) runs a DB slave.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited May 2017

@chx said:

@ihadp said:

It's quite far from a home project really -- it's about 85 000 historical photos, scanned and tagged by volunteers, quite loved by Hungarians. Making it more available for the North American Hungarian community would be nice -- there are about two million Hungarians in the USA + Canada together, quite significant when the country itself only has 10M. And we all know that while Hetzner hardware prices are great, their US peering is not so great.

I guess I should get a small server with just spinning rust and see how fast it is.

And yes, we have an offsite backup. Everything is rsync'd daily to a storage VPS at delimiter (it's only a terabyte, I will figure out what to do when it fills up but it was 63 USD a year for a terabyte), and to a HDD hanging off my router (very sophisticated backup solution, that one is, it's sitting on the shelf raw with a small AC/DC brick and a USB to SATA cable) and a noez.de VPS (95 cents, lol) runs a DB slave.

I guess I am not following your train of thought here, how is adding a server in North America going to make the content "more available" to those Hungarians in located in the US & Canada?

Whether the image is loaded from a server in the US or from Hetzner the difference in load time will likely be only a few milliseconds which I don't see justifying the added expense.

If you are concerned about speed then a CDN is your next stop, not another server.

That all said, Hetzner has a pretty terrible network in general and their speed lacking even inside Germany, let alone the EU or North America. Replacing them with another provider with a better network would likely make a pretty large difference, but even so a true CDN will blow the doors off pretty much anything.

• chxchx Member

I guess I am old fashioned and I believe a hundred or two ms added latency by the transatlantic connection looks like a lot to me. I was kind of hoping if I could turn the backup into a mirror that'd be nice. That's about it.

A CDN is way too expensive for this project.

• tmwctmwc Member
    edited May 2017

@chx said:
    I guess I am old fashioned and I believe a hundred or two ms added latency by the transatlantic connection looks like a lot to me. I was kind of hoping if I could turn the backup into a mirror that'd be nice. That's about it.

True, most CDNs are, but I'd like to shill for @BunnySpeed with https://bunnycdn.com (which has very cheap pricing, cheaper than most CDNs). There's a 14-day 1TB trial and I've been using them for a while with no problems. (Might wanna uncheck some regions to reduce pricing farther.) (Also will have to upload via FTP, but it seems a other upload method is coming soon™)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

So that'd be $20 to store a terabyte there and another $20 to deliver 2TB... But, a CDN! :) And it has overcharge protection, that's quite vital. Perhaps when the Delimiter storage VPS comes due in November, I could switch to that one as a backup-cum-CDN. Very nice idea, thanks. Might be the best of all, indeed.

Edit: and now you put me on looking for CDNs, https://www.fdcservers.net/content-delivery-network.php look, this is just $5 per Terabyte.

• @chx said:

Just use cloudflare with a free CDN. Setup a CDN. A or CNAME record to the server, proxy it (cloud on), and serve off your servers normally. Since CF profits via upselling + other sources you get a kickass DNS host and CDN. I say use a cname so you dont proxy the whole site, just the images./static files.