Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do VPS providers usually allow mirroring usage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do VPS providers usually allow mirroring usage?

Hello,
is it usually OK for providers to use a VPS just as "mirrors" to let users download files directly with no web pages on it? Of course remaining withing the monthly BW usage.

Or do I have to go through specific plans? Honestly I don't see they would care, if I use, say, 100GB/month via web pages and high traffic (so add PHP/MySQL CPU usage) or the same data with just downloads what is the difference for them?

Thank you.

Comments

• azizmbazizmb Member
    edited June 2013

Should be fine to use a VPS for this purpose, once its nothing goes against their Terms of Service (E.g, no copyright infringing material, abusive behavior, etc).

• sandrosandro Member
    edited June 2013

My provider seems to be a little restrictive about this but I don't understand if those TOS refer to web (shared) hosting or in general to every service. Basically they say I can only store "web files" and not store files. Not sure if I can paste the TOS here

• Should be no problem.
    But the best way to find out is to send in a ticket.

• Unless specifically stated, a TOS refers to all services a provider offers.

• No problems with this at all.

• azizmbazizmb Member

@sandro said:
    My provider seems to be a little restrictive about this but I don't understand if those TOS refer to web (shared) hosting or in general to every service. Basically they say I can only store "web files" and not store files. Not sure if I can paste the TOS here

Who's your provider? Usually the "Web Files and not storage files" applies for shared hosting, but I'd double check, or if you prefer, send them a ticket.

• tommytommy Member

that files is part of web file :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2013

In the shared hosting part of our ToS we have this too.
    However, a VPS is your own private server, you can run anything not forbidden explicitly or by law. Of course, staying within the plan's limits and load, etc.

• sandrosandro Member

The provider is URPAD with a $12/y plan

• fapvpsfapvps Member

There should be no problem with this at all.

• azizmbazizmb Member

From UrPad's ToS:

Hosting space is intended for normal use only, and is limited to Web files, active e-mail and content of the hosted Web sites, not for storage (whether of media, e-mails, or other data).

I believe they're referring to their web hosting plans, and not VPS. Shouldn't have any problem.

• sandrosandro Member

Thank you, just to be clear I'm just hosting open source stuff. :)

• Sandro you can always buy content delivery from us, and it's only 5cents per GB.

• sandrosandro Member

@FRCorey said:
    Sandro you can always buy content delivery from us, and it's only 5cents per GB.

Could you explain to me how your service works?

• @sandro said:
    Could you explain to me how your service works?

It's HTTP pull, so you would setup a url say cdn.mydomain.net and we give you a record to add to your DNS for a CNAME. The cname cdn.mydomain.net will point to the CDN system and when a user pulls the file link say http://cdn.mydomain.net/awesomefile.tar.gz the CDN nodes will immediately load it and begin answering queries to local request rather than hitting your main node all the time.

So once it's all said and done, a user in Seattle will hit our Seattle CDN pop, a user in NYC will hit a NYC area pop. Our lists are constantly being updated and refined. You can get started for little as 5.00 and it automatically tops up once your balance hits 2.50 back to 5.00 and we can go higher on the balances depending on usage you may need a higher top up setting and higher overall balance.

Report for Image of one file I've been caching our company logo.

http://grab.by/o34E

Also I should wake up before posting some days, 5c per gb is what I'm paying on average it can be higher depending on how hard some pops get hit, the customer cost is 10c per gb.

• sandrosandro Member
    edited July 2013

What I don't understand is if that price is for the BW or the storage :)