Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Deal or Run-of-the-Mill? Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good Deal or Run-of-the-Mill? Dedicated Server

I have a E3-1240v2 32GB 240GB SSD with an /29, $43 a month. Is that a good deal?

By that I mean, could I reasonably replicate it? I am wondering about my provider's long term health. So I am thinking about moving on now. If I have a screaming deal, what would be a reasonable price for this unit? I was going to post a request, but I thought I'd better get educated first.

Comments

• @MTUser2012 said:
    I have a E3-1240v2 32GB 240GB SSD with an /29, $43 a month. Is that a good deal?

I have a E31240v3/16GB RAM/4x240GB SSD/1Gbps@50TB/month = 29USD. Do you think a good deal?

• @mtsbatalha said:
    I have a E31240v3/16GB RAM/4x240GB SSD/1Gbps@50TB/month = 29USD. Do you think a good deal?

Where did you find that one? 4x240GB SSDs is quite the find.

• @flatland_spider said:

@mtsbatalha said:

This was a limited promo from Heymman Servers.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @mtsbatalha said:

@flatland_spider said:

@mtsbatalha said:

I see their order page and all their products are "unavailable" - is it a summerhost style operation or?

• @deadbeef said:

@mtsbatalha said:

@flatland_spider said:

@mtsbatalha said:

I see their order page and all their products are "unavailable" - is it a summerhost style operation or?

No, as I have said to you this was a limited promo.... Seems that this guys have founded their company in 2011.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Fairly decent deal, @Virmach offers similar at 39 dollars per month

@MTUser2012 said:

By that I mean, could I reasonably replicate it? I am wondering about my provider's long term health. So I am thinking about moving on now. If I have a screaming deal, what would be a reasonable price for this unit? I was going to post a request, but I thought I'd better get educated first.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @risharde said:

@MTUser2012 said:

@virmach is the leader in LET for "fuck profit" offers! Recommended :)

• teamaccteamacc Member

@deadbeef said:

@risharde said:

@MTUser2012 said:

@virmach is the leader in LET for "fuck profit" offers! Recommended :)

I thought that term was trademarked by @exception0x876

Thanked by 3deadbeef Yura sayem314
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2017

@teamacc said:

No idea, I think I first heard it from @Nekki at the legendary offer thread.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@deadbeef said:

@teamacc said:

It's possible, but I was like a kid with ADHD that weekend so much of it is a blur.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • 1 question, which provider are you with now ? That will determine if it is a good deal or not. There are a few providers which can beat this deal, otherwise.

• @Nekki said:

@deadbeef said:

@teamacc said:

It's possible, but I was like a kid with ADHD that weekend so much of it is a blur.

Google did its magic.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • williewillie Member

Hmm, are there still some @Virmach dedicated server coupons around?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

32GB RAM on E3 boxes pushes up the price a bit. RAM prices (for the E3 boxes especially) are pretty high right now. Prices have roughly doubled in the past 6-8 months.

QuickPacket's E3-1270 special with 32GB RAM and 256GB SSD is $70 per month in LA. We think that's a pretty great price. QuickPacket has been running strong for almost 14 years now. We aren't resellers - we own and operate all of our own hardware and network, with connectivity directly to transit providers.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mtsbatalha said: I have a E31240v3/16GB RAM/4x240GB SSD/1Gbps@50TB/month = 29USD. Do you think a good deal?

haha that is ridiculous, the cheapest you could buy that server even second hand including disks is going to be around $700 even with dirt cheap and I mean bottom of the gutter power and bandwidth prices it is going to be about 3 years for them to even cover the outlay on it, even after that they are probably only making a few bucks p/month.

I guess they must either run a charity or maybe that is 'paid for' kit from the past in which case the disks are probably pretty old.

• mtsbatalhamtsbatalha Member
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

mtsbatalha said: I have a E31240v3/16GB RAM/4x240GB SSD/1Gbps@50TB/month = 29USD. Do you think a good deal?

haha that is ridiculous, the cheapest you could buy that server even second hand including disks is going to be around $700 even with dirt cheap and I mean bottom of the gutter power and bandwidth prices it is going to be about 3 years for them to even cover the outlay on it, even after that they are probably only making a few bucks p/month.

I guess they must either run a charity or maybe that is 'paid for' kit from the past in which case the disks are probably pretty old.

That's why I said dirty cheap...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mtsbatalha said: That's why I said dirty cheap...

FILTHY cheap.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

mtsbatalha said: That's why I said dirty cheap...

FILTHY cheap.

GRAVELY cheap...

Yeah, 4 x 240 SSD for that price sounds near impossible in my mind, could understand if it was just one SSD and still that's like covering cost (hopefully)

• NetxonsNetxons Member

MTUser2012 said: I have a E3-1240v2 32GB 240GB SSD with an /29, $43 a month. Is that a good deal?

Not doubt is a good deal I will keep it as long as the server is working!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@deadbeef said:

Interesting to see how that top 6 have fared since.

I knew I shouldn't have caved to public opinion and placed VortexNode above Inception....

Thanked by 1deadbeef