Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any downsides of an add-on domain within cpanel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any downsides of an add-on domain within cpanel?

plumbergplumberg Veteran

I have a couple of separate cpanel hosted accounts (different providers). I am thinking of moving and consolidate all into a single shared host cpanel account. Anything I need to know before I plunge into converting all separate cpanel accounts into one single?

Thanks.

Comments

• The websites aren't separated from each other so you could consider less security (if one website is compromised then all on that same account effectively are at risk), the websites would share the same resources allocated to that cPanel account etc. There are both positives and negatives of doing something like this. I would imagine that you're wanting to consolidate them to cut down costs. Have you considered a cheap reseller account?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • plumbergplumberg Veteran

@WSCallum said:
    The websites aren't separated from each other so you could consider less security (if one website is compromised then all on that same account effectively are at risk), the websites would share the same resources allocated to that cPanel account etc. There are both positives and negatives of doing something like this. I would imagine that you're wanting to consolidate them to cut down costs. Have you considered a cheap reseller account?

You're right. Cost savings is one of the primary goals.

• rocketrocket Member

Might be worth switching to a cheap reseller plan, you get the security from separating the accounts from each other and less cost since you can get it from $2/mo (BuyShared)

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • If one website is compromised and the attacker is able to upload a shell, the whole file system will be available to him. This is a huge security problem and I have witnessed this more times than I can count.

If you want to reduce costs, consider switching to VestaCP which is free. Ofcourse you will have teething issues but if once you fine tune, its a secure and well managed panel with great performance.

If you can't move out of cPanel... consider getting a VPS with WHM. Cost saving is not worth if you are exposed the risks of loosing your site/data and be shamed with your clients.

• dimitrispdimitrisp Member
    edited May 2017

If you don't want a VPS that you can manage on your own, go for a reseller. To be honest, less stuff for you to do, and with a good company behind you that manages the server (for example BuyShared) you'll have even less to worry about.

Also, do not put them on the same account as addons. Most provider nowadays add CPU/IO/RAM limits, and if one of the sites hits the limit, all your sites will be affected. Go with buyshared! It's $20/year for their smallest reseller plan

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Disadvantages:
    Single shared server downtime means all your sites will be down
    One website compromised means a high chance that all will be compromised
    Server on a spam block would probably mean all your emails would probably be on the spam block
    There is a higher chance that you may be suspended if you use too much resources on a single shared account if your sites have high traffic

Advantages
    Reduction in cost depending on the possible risk
    Reduction in login management perhaps

Overall suggestion:
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket unless you can afford to lose them.

@plumberg said:
    I have a couple of separate cpanel hosted accounts (different providers). I am thinking of moving and consolidate all into a single shared host cpanel account. Anything I need to know before I plunge into converting all separate cpanel accounts into one single?

Thanks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

does cpanel still do that asinine thing where they set things up as:

/public_html/(your main site)

/public_html/somedomain.com/ (your addon site, which on the filesystem is a subdir of your main site)

I always manually overrode that to put the directory somewhere else...

• @raindog308 said:
    does cpanel still do that asinine thing where they set things up as:

/public_html/(your main site)

/public_html/somedomain.com/ (your addon site, which on the filesystem is a subdir of your main site)

I always manually overrode that to put the directory somewhere else...

There's an option now to make /home/user/domain.com/ as default in WHM.