Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did BuyVM just go down? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did BuyVM just go down?

13»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:
    My VPS is showing "3.2.0-042stab076.8"... Is that actually 2.6.32 and not 3.2.0?

The part after the 3.2.x is the important part ;) We forge debian & ubuntu installs as 3.2.x just to make sure there's no issues with glibc.

Yes, all OVZ's in LV are running on 2.6.32 now. About half of the nodes in NY are as well. We'll schedule a time in the next coming weeks to get the last of the NY ones moved over too.

Francisco

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2013

@Jack said:
    What are you looking at?

Same, uname -r output

@Francisco said:
    The part after the 3.2.x is the important part ;) We forge debian & ubuntu installs as 3.2.x just to make sure there's no issues with glibc.

Ah okay. Out of curiosity, why 2.6.32 and not a 3.8.x or 3.9.x series kernel? Does OpenVZ limit the kernel versions that can be used? Back when I had a dedicated server I was using 3.4.x with Linux-vserver but I'm not sure how different OpenVZ is (I've never used it)

@Daniel15 said:
    Ah okay. Out of curiosity, why 2.6.32 and not a 3.8.x or 3.9.x series kernel? Does OpenVZ limit the kernel versions that can be used? Back when I had a dedicated server I was using 3.4.x with Linux-vserver but I'm not sure how different OpenVZ is (I've never used it)

OVZ requires a custom kernel and they stay in step with RHEL kernels. The latest 3.8+ kernels have been including additional patches that have made it so some of OpenVZ's tools now work on native kernels. This is because of patches LXC and such commited.

Francisco

• is it me or is buyvm's new york network really great? :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said:
    is it me or is buyvm's new york network really great? :)

I thought you didn't like CC's Buffalo network? BuyVM do run their own AS and have IP's but are still using CC's Buffalo network as far as I'm aware.

• wdqwdq Member

@Jeffrey said: is it me or is buyvm's new york network really great? :)

I also have a really good connection to their New York location. I live right in between the two locations and get around a 30ms ping to NY and a 100ms ping to LV. Upload/download speeds also are significantly better from the NY location.

I guess Time Warner has a better connection to whatever CC uses in NY.

• @Jeffrey said:

It's just BuyVM's LV network "not that good" instead

• @wdq I am with Time Warner too.

And @Infinity, Well, I don't know about their other locations, but their NY location is very stable from what I have seen with my $15/Year BuyVM VPS.

• CNSjackCNSjack Member
    edited June 2013

@Francisco said:
    Portland was a level of fucked I won't bother describing.

Hi Fran, where did you colo in Portland? We've been using Portland NAP since 2010, zero power issue there. Rate is ok too. I think Telx is also opening a DC there.

• I wish there were more Low-End Providers offering stuff in Portland, OR. I'd buy a storage VPS in Portland in a heartbeat, as well as at least 2 more for other things.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    I wish there were more Low-End Providers offering stuff in Portland, OR. I'd buy a storage VPS in Portland in a heartbeat, as well as at least 2 more for other things.

Directspace? they run their own DC. not sure about their quality nowadays though...

@CNSjack said:
    Directspace? they run their own DC. not sure about their quality nowadays though...

"Own" their "datacenter" :) They have office space in the Pittock, it isn't in the actual old Verio DC in there. We suffered an 18 hour power outage while there and got marked for deadpool by the old LEA because nothing was online and we had no real way to post announcements (I had no working internet since I was living in the Pittock as well).

When we moved in we were promised > @Jeffrey said:

Buffalo runs on a single gig line so it doesn't suffer from the LACP issues we have in LV. LV is just a much much bigger location and is our first dabble into 10gig cards. We went with a known, quality, brand but alas with FreeBSD it's pretty hit/miss with the drivers memory leaks.

The new router uses Intel x520 cards instead and is coupled with a pair of E5 2620's. We got 4 x 10gig ports in there as well as 6 IGBE based NIC ports as well. /proc/interrupts is hilarious since it goes 300+ lines long of all the queues supported. Rob is working on getting the 10gig port to it terminated sometime today.

Fiberhub's network is very fast and I'm able to max my home line (50mbit shaw) at any given time and I can do it some of the time off our stuff.

Hell, from the looks of it LV is going to beat CC in getting native V6 for clients.

Francisco