Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH no longer supporting Windows Server R2 2008
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH no longer supporting Windows Server R2 2008

hi, im used templates for install OS in new ovh dedicated 2017. im install template, but later when try to join with RDP not possible, maybe this templates not have drivers network? im need windows 2008 r data center or enterprise, im try with this 2, but same problem with RDP, help me?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Does IPMI let you connect?... If so then you probably need to enable RDP access or add a firewall rule. On another hand, Windows Server 2008 is almost 10 years old. Why do you need such an old version?

Thanked by 1AzureSports
  • Im need windows server 2008 why game used this OS, not possible with other.

im try connect with KVM java.

https://i.gyazo.com/ef4f9cbf23bce139cab713b55ffc6a37.png

1º im install ubuntu.
    2º change netboot to rescue mode pro.
    3º in putty install os: wget -O- 'http://wget.fr/Windows_Server2008R2_Enterprise.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda
    4º change netboot to HD.

Im check console in KVM, only install ubuntu, idk why not install Windows, u know ?

:(

• racksxracksx Member

Hi,
    If you have KVM would be easy to mount ISO file and Install your Windows Version, also using this 'http://wget.fr/Windows_Server2008R2_Enterprise.gz' would be easy for you to login later and check why the connection is not working.

Thanked by 1AzureSports
  • hzrhzr Member

isn't that the malicious version instead of the joodle version?

• I'd STRONGLY recommend you at least try running the software on server 2012. Have you tried compatibility mode. I find it works for lots of EoL software that requires outdated systems.

Regardless if the software you are using require 2008 R2 I'd highly recommend you contact them about support for 2012/2016 or move to a different piece of software. Look at the recent events of WCry exploiting an EOL software because businesses didn't want to move to newer OS because their software didn't support it. Don't become another person who is stuck in the don't upgrade loop.

Mainstream support for 2008 R2 has ended. Continued security is still active but do remember the OS is being phased out

• AzureSportsAzureSports Member
    edited May 2017

racksx, how mount ISO file and Install Windows Version in KVM? thanks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GenjiSwitchPls said: 'd STRONGLY recommend you at least try running the software on server 2012. Have you tried compatibility mode. I find it works for lots of EoL software that requires outdated systems.

Regardless if the software you are using require 2008 R2 I'd highly recommend you contact them about support for 2012/2016 or move to a different piece of software. Look at the recent events of WCry exploiting an EOL software because businesses didn't want to move to newer OS because their software didn't support it.

This is good advice...but Windows Server 2008R2 is not EOL.

Mainstream support ended in 2015. It goes out of extended support on January 14, 2020. Extended support includes security fixes. Microsoft provides 5 years mainstream and 5 years extended (2008R2 really is Windows Server 2010, so 2010 + 10 years = 2020).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14085

GenjiSwitchPls said: Don't become another person who is stuck in the don't upgrade loop.

That must be an alternative to the upgrade treadmill, where you spend thousands of hours of time each year upgrading for no reason other than staying on support or because something else requires an upgrade.

My employer has thousands of Windows server systems. Patching them and upgrading them is not trivial. You might think "just use $X automation" but that's not the hard part. Applying the patches or upgrades is trivial. The hard part is (a) getting downtimes and (b) getting app people to commit to test and/or patch and/or upgrade their apps, which is many hours of work for them for zero benefit to them. Everyone who's worked in a large org knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm totally on your side - upgrades and patching is necessary, for security if for nothing else. But in the heat of battle (i.e., normal business operations) it's generally not as important as everything else. That irks technologists, but it's reality.

And then some virus comes along and you take advantage while you can :-)

Thanked by 1AzureSports
  • You can install any OS with OVH KMV/IPMI.

Thanks.

• one person know how install? im need help.. :(

• jeff9023, how? im need help.

• @raindog308 said:

snipped

Yes sorry my main point was. Use the most up to date windows. I know its not EOL but its reached its final few years. Let it die in peace and start moving to 2016

• AzureSportsAzureSports Member
    edited May 2017

thanks for all, now im have other problem.

im install OS with OVH KMV/IPMI, but stuck at Loading Screen.

https://i.gyazo.com/acfa7f32880ac7abfc26ab130daba401.png

• Let it die in peace and start moving to 2016

ehh remember server 2003 and XP, although this is a lot less popular