Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you disallow service to any countries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you disallow service to any countries?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Do you as hosts disallow service to certain countries?

One I came across was Iran.

Thanks

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

We have legitimate customers from Brazil.

• Jack must have the same Brazil problem I do, I dont block it since I know the asshat's patterns all too well and kill his accounts as soon as I see them.

• I've had some issues with someone from Romania but not enough to block the entire country. If any of you have a client by the name (or variations) of "Alexaderu Cosmin", just mark his order as fraud or terminate his account immediately. Several people have been having issues with that guy spamming.

I assume @dominicl made this topic not based on spam, but more on sanctions/current world events, however

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Only one at the moment which is blocked is Iran, no others at the moment. I was just wondering if there is any others that I should block, or that don't allow customers to purchase service due to events/laws, etc.

• US companies are prevented by law to sell services to some countries.

• SpiritSpirit Member

the iran thing is for US Providers only isn't it?

@Jack yes it is. And even this not completely anymore.

EU sanctions are limited to financial services, energy sectors and technologies and includes a ban on the provision of insurance and reinsurance by EU insurers to the State of Iran and Iranian owned companies.

The sanctions on US hosting companies selling hosting services to Iranian individuals for non-commercial personal communications purposes have been lifted but the sanctions on selling hosting services to Iranian companies/individuals that will be used for commercial endeavors is still prohibited.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2013

Same issue as @Jack and @FRCorey

I presume it's a lot of email spammers?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

over 500$ of chargebacks from Brazil :)

• krs360krs360 Member

@Jack said:
    dominicl the iran thing is for US Providers only isn't it?

I work in the UK for an American based company, trading with Iran isn't allowed. I believe this falls under anything else I do as well - conflicts of interest, etc.

• Assume I, non-US, to resell hosting on USA to Iranian, is it allowed?

• rds100rds100 Member

@DalComp IIRC cPanel was disabling the licenses of servers that used to host Iranian websites...

• JacobJacob Member

We had our first chargeback in a year yesterday on a $7.99 sale, we get issued a $20 chargeback fee.

After going over his account, I'm not sure how he slipped through since I wouldn't of normally let it go through after reviewing his details and and it was an amex card aswell.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited June 2013

@Jack said:
    I lost $100 on Chargeback fees due to them so I seriously dislike them fraudsters.

You terminating them for spamming and they chargebacked? Or stolen cards?

@Jack said:
    Alex_Liquidhost no wonder 2CO booted you then...

Considering they charge me 50$ per chargeback and I included the services money in the number above as well.. It wasn't hundreds of cahrgebacks ;)

However the funny thing is the orders came from residential IPs, real addresses, real emails from diffrent providers, passed both 2co and maxmind sequrity checks and after manual check I never really found anything concerning. Every field is filled and everything was pretty much okey (even checking the address on google maps). Each IP corresponds to the city/town of teh address and etc. .

• jhjh Member

I don't disallow orders by any country but do/did get a lot of timewasters from the same parts of the world. I guess that's the same for a lot of people.

• vnetvnet Member

Hate deception, I encountered several countries cheaters, then I do not know need to use a proxy server my website landing system, but I am so disgusted with this region and business!

• Is the OP based in the USA?

If so, add these to your list: North Korea, Sudan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Cuba

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@eric1212 I'm not, servers are.

• Isn't there anything you can do against these chargebacks? Seems like the credit card companies are helping criminals here.

@mpkossen said:
    Isn't there anything you can do against these chargebacks? Seems like the credit card companies are helping criminals here.

Belive me, I tried.. It is useless to battle a chargeback. I lost probably 60-70$ in losen chargeback appeals.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2013

Tajikistan and Nigeria. Never had a legit customer sign up from there. Always super suspicious of Spain but once in awhile they are legit. If you use Maxmind they have a feature to always reject sign ups from Countries with a lot of fraud.

Most of time the scammers use a VPN proxy so I never accept those no matter where they are. Never accept anything that looks like a static server IP.

Time of day matters too. Noticed the scammers like to sign up late on a Friday so they can avoid detection over the weekend I guess.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2013

@Alex_LiquidHost said:
    Belive me, I tried.. It is useless to battle a chargeback. I lost probably 60-70$ in losen chargeback appeals.

I've won more chargeback fights than I have lost. Maybe I've been lucky because that doesn't seem to be the norm.

• @Jack said:
    No they spam, chargeback get terminated and I get a fee..

I mean, say you wouldn't have terminated them, would the payment still get chargebacked?

• Brazil here too. All experience from that country has lead to Spammers, stolen c/c, phishing sites

• @sman said:
    Always super suspicious of Spain but once in awhile they are legit.

Why Spain? I'm curious about the reasons that made you think that.

• I imagine some providers would deny service to china because of all the freaking illegal torrents and shitty Google Translate, but they have so many clients from China that they'd lose half their clients!

• smansman Member

@albertdb said:
    Why Spain? I'm curious about the reasons that made you think that.

Because I often get chargebacks from Spain. Usually stolen credit card numbers.

• marcmmarcm Member

No.

• Vietnam, only ... :)