Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Briehost hosting review & experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Briehost hosting review & experience

team_traitorteam_traitor Member
edited May 2017 in Providers

Greetings,

I created this discussion to get to know how good or bad briehost.com is in area of VPS hosting. I have tried one of their cheapest service and I don't really recommend it. To be fair, I hope anyone who have experience with them to post/comment here either good or bad to raise awareness.

Briehost is using Ipv6 and made a LE OpenVZ 64 - IPv6 (64mb ram and 50Gb bandwith) vps. As the plan implied, you won't have Ipv4 and you need to have an Ipv6 to be able to manage your VPS since their browser base SSH(java/applet) is not working since browser does not allow applet to run.

I tried this because I'm really wanted to try having a website running on Ipv6 only. I don't have Ipv6 at home/work and they don't have any solution for that. I was able to connect to it using my Vultr VPS since it has Ipv6.

After connecting it. I was able to install nginx & php5-fpm. Take note only ubuntu runs on this container.

To make visitor with Ipv4 access this Ipv6 website I use cloudflare as proxy and it was a success. I notice that during the upgrading and installing software I get disconnected from time to time.

I tried accessing the website and it was working fine. After a few minutes when I open it I got 502/503 response from Cloudflare saying my host is unreachable and after a few reload it was accessible again.

It seems like something fishy with the connection so I use a tool to monitor the website every minute and yes I get a lot of failed response. I open tickets to them reporting this. At first they were answering but as the day goes buy I did not hear any from them.

So I made this discussion to check if there are people tried their service both VPS and Dedicated server.

So anyone. How do you find their hosting? Is it good or worst?

Poll not found

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Who the fuck is BrieHost?

Thanked by 2WHT imok
    • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
      edited May 2017

Nekki said:

Who the fuck is BrieHost?

That's the cheesy host run by Alison Brie.

I have two 64 MB boxes (one in Falkenstein, the other in Lenor) and don't remember a single downtime in the last two years. I only had one ticket with them because WHMCS didn't pick up my Paypal payment, but that's an issue I have with almost every provider.

jeorlie said: After a few minutes when I open it I got 502/503 response from Cloudflare saying my host is unreachable and after a few reload it was accessible again.

What I've seen few times with different providers and OpenVZ VPS is packet loss on incoming IPv6 connections on the last two hops. This is towards my Briehost VPS in Lenor:

Start: Sun May 14 09:47:28 2017 HOST: vpsadmin Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev 1.|-- 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::2 0.0% 10 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.2 0.0 2.|-- 2a01:xxx:0:xxx:xxx:19 0.0% 10 14.9 1.9 0.4 14.9 4.6 3.|-- core12.nbg1.hetzner.com 0.0% 10 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.6 0.0 4.|-- juniper5.dc2.nbg1.hetzner.com 0.0% 10 0.6 0.6 0.5 0.9 0.0 5.|-- 2001:7f8:30:0:2:1:0:6939 0.0% 10 19.3 11.8 9.4 19.3 3.6 6.|-- 100ge13-1.core1.par2.he.net 0.0% 10 30.1 29.1 22.0 65.5 13.5 7.|-- 100ge14-1.core1.nyc4.he.net 0.0% 10 89.0 89.5 88.7 94.0 1.4 8.|-- 100ge11-2.core1.ash1.he.net 0.0% 10 95.9 99.4 95.8 104.1 2.8 9.|-- 100ge8-2.core1.atl1.he.net 0.0% 10 107.9 110.4 107.7 116.8 3.2 10.|-- ??? 100.0 10 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 11.|-- dct-cr01-v-51.dacentec.com 0.0% 10 117.2 119.7 116.4 125.1 3.1 12.|-- dct-ds42-v-33.dacentec.com 0.0% 10 116.4 119.2 116.3 124.5 3.1 13.|-- 2607:5600::c0c6:5686 0.0% 10 115.0 115.2 114.7 118.1 0.8 14.|-- 2607:5600:xxx:xxx:: 50.0% 10 116.5 116.6 116.3 116.8 0.0 15.|-- 2607:5600:xxx::xxx:xxx:x 60.0% 10 114.7 114.8 114.7 114.9 0.0

When I start the trace, hops 14. and 15. start replying after ~5 pings. When I re-run the mtr right after, I have no packet loss at all. This doesn't happen with IPv4 connections.

So maybe that's the issue here?

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
      edited May 2017

@brueggus not sure about that. They don't reply on my ticket.. The last time they replied they said they will look into it but I did not receive any reply since.

Good for you @brueggus yours was okay. I hope they fix mine. I have already ask cloudflare to be in-case they are having problem with ipv6 since they also experience DDoS.

I don't have any issue with the vps itself, the specs are all good to me except only the unstable network it would be nice to have a stable network even they downgrade mine to 5mbs or 10mbs as long as the connection is 99.9%. To me the connectivity or availability of their network seems to be at 60%-70% base on my website logs.

edited May 2017

what happened to my poll? "Poll not found". Did I break rules, let me know so I can avoid it next. :-)

• tmwctmwc Member

@jeorlie said:
      what happened to my poll? "Poll not found". Did I break rules, let me know so I can avoid it next. :-)

Your poll loads for me...

• YuraYura Member

@jeorlie said:
      what happened to my poll? "Poll not found".

It's a bug Vanilla.

edited May 2017

Update: After a week I got a response from them (Briehost) . Sadly they seem to be unable to fix my problem. It might be their provider. They give me a full refund after I requested it.

Now I have to find another low end hosting with Ipv6. Anyone can recommend? 64mb or 90mb (RAM) will be fine, with at least 50Gb+ bandwidth and 512Mb+ HDD storage. :-)

@vpsrus are operating from the same data centre: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/113806/25-off-or-double-the-reources - look for PRXNAT128

Otherwise both https://www.deepnetsolutions.com/nat-vps.html and http://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=13 are great. Keep in mind that IH are using an HE.net tunnel to provide IPv6 in their Phoenix location. You decide whether that's good or bad ;)

And if you're willing to spend some more money, go with https://securedragon.net/

Thanked by 1justvm
    • justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@brueggus Thank you for mention

• @brueggus do you still have a box on inception hosting? I like their plan. They have this servers in Japan I'll chose that maybe.

@jeorlie said:
      @brueggus do you still have a box on inception hosting? I like their plan. They have this servers in Japan I'll chose that maybe.

I do, and I'm going to keep them. Inception Hosting is run by @AnthonySmith who I'd definetly recommend and who has a very good reputation round here.
      Support for their NAT VPS line is done via forum only (http://forum.lowendspirit.com/).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@brueggus said:

@jeorlie said:
      @brueggus do you still have a box on inception hosting? I like their plan. They have this servers in Japan I'll chose that maybe.

I do, and I'm going to keep them. Inception Hosting is run by @AnthonySmith who I'd definetly recommend and who has a very good reputation round here.
      Support for their NAT VPS line is done via forum only (http://forum.lowendspirit.com/).

Thanks!

• @brueggus I ordered one and It's pending. Can't wait :-) Thank you for the recommendation.

• It's not centos 7. Phew! :-)

• Hello everyone, Briehost is now not like before, I a having the 128 MB LE ovz vps and first 2 years only couple of times may be i rebooted the pc other then that there were no major problems with relates to network, speed, connectivity and performance, all were well until december when i renewed my vps,

As long as i paid them the money and renewed for third year, the vps never get bootup again, from 2 months i am writing them email, support tickets, and trying my luck to call their phone numbers, but nothing is working for me, i dont want 2.99$ refund, this is not a huge money for which a standard host do shits like this, but i also imagine that briehost may be find a way to make huge money from people's 10 cents.

I suggest people to stay away from such a scam of low price vps, its better to pay few bucks extra to a good host.

If any one proof from me, i can show here any kind of proofs.

• ResearcherResearcher Member
      edited January 2018

Hello everyone, Briehost is now not like before, I am having the 128 MB LE ovz vps and first 2 years only couple of times may be i rebooted the vps other then that there were no major problems with relates to network, speed, connectivity and performance, all were well until december when i renewed my vps,

As long as i paid them the money and renewed for third year, the vps never get bootup again, from 2 months i am writing them email, support tickets, and trying my luck to call their phone numbers, but nothing is working for me, i dont want 2.99$ refund, this is not a huge money for which a standard host do shits like this, but i also imagine that briehost may be find a way to make huge money from people's 10 cents.

I suggest people to stay away from such a scam of low price vps, its better to pay few bucks extra to a good host.

If any one proof from me, i can show here any kind of proofs.