Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice needed

dwtbfdwtbf Member
edited May 2017 in Help

Hi,

I need some advice, I'm looking to get a new server, ideally 32 GB of RAM, 120GB ssd minimum, /29 block of ips, under $60CDN per month. I either want to buy the physical server myself, OR, rent-to-own, if none of those are good, then just rent.

I'm on a budget, I only earn $1000 a month from SA (social assistance), so I don't want to spend too much money, as I put $750 a month to housing my family, I need this for storage, plex streaming, vms.

Advice?

Comments

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

https://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/offers/game-2.xml

Would this do it? I know it's slightly over budget, they have one with 16gb of ram here which would fit your budget https://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/offers/game-1.xml

If not, then hopefully a provider here can make an offer as well

IPs are $3.00 initially, then the proceeding months they are free, you're only paying for the price of the server, as this is standard OVH policy.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2017

Maybe you should save your money and think about luxuries at a later time mate.
    Seriously. On a very very tight budget, consider if you really need this. If Plex doesnt put you food on the table then you should forget it for now.
    If you still want it just order a cheap KVM VPS.
    If you still want the dedicated server then you should rethink about your life priorities.

• bdspicebdspice Member

I dont think it is essential to have a dedicated server for this. you can buy kvm storage vps at very cheap rate. maybe 1month budget of dedicated = 1 year kvm vps

• jhjh Member

It's none of my business but I can't help agreeing with what @MikePT said. If you do want to do this, I would recommend buying a cheap used PC.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • dwtbf said: I need some advice

Me too. Nice title, but requires people to click in order to find out more. :)

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2017

@MikePT said:
    Maybe you should save your money and think about luxuries at a later time mate.
    Seriously. On a very very tight budget, consider if you really need this. If Plex doesnt put you food on the table then you should forget it for now.
    If you still want it just order a cheap KVM VPS.
    If you still want the dedicated server then you should rethink about your life priorities.

El Cheapo 's financial advice is - true to form - golden.

I also like that @dwtbf earns the SA check :D

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • deadbeef said: financial advice

I don't believe the figures the OP is giving. In any case the issue to me is whether his family benefits from a new server or not. I suspect not.

• Not to decide how you should do things, but you should worry about other things. Plus, I'm sure that a bunch of people would be mad that someone is using tax $$$ for a server.

Again, I'm just pointing that out.

Thanked by 1MikePT