Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nodemon - Beta testers/feedback required
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nodemon - Beta testers/feedback required

r0t3nr0t3n Member

Hello all,

The past few weeks I've been busy working on a replacement for Nodewatch called Nodemon, built using Golang.

Nodemon has been developed with flexibility in mind, it currently has a Libvirt collection driver which makes use of Libvirt's driver specs to gather CT/VM resource usage stats. This could be swapped out with a custom plugin in the future to gather these statistics from any source, be it directly from your control panel, remote monitoring or the good old CLI.

Nodemon also makes use of packet capturing to monitor outbound connections, and is configurable directly and on-the-fly via iptables, using NFLOG to redirect traffic through a dummy interface. This module is made to be independent from conntrack, keeping its own queue of connection stats for better performance, but will eventually be able to work with conntrack. I aim to build in pcap dumping, so a pcap file can be provided with a abuse report. This module has not been tested with NAT network setups yet.

The key differences I aim to have between Nodemon and Nodewatch are:

Collection of data directly from the driver, be it Libvirt driver or the kernel driver, vs nodewatch which gathers some of its data from entering the container.

Work with any virtualisation, developed to not care about the underlying virtualisation, if the collection driver can supply the required resource statistics, it will work.`

Better automatic responses, fully configurable. Decide to disable the network, add a iptables rule to block a port, suspend the vps, or fire off a bash script etc etc.

I'm currently looking for any kind of feedback and for beta testers. Anyone who would like to beta test this please PM me with the below information:

Types of virtualisation you will be testing this on, along with their versions (openvz 6/7, qemu version)

Distro and kernel(s) you're using
Libvirt version
Control panel(s) you use
If you're nodes use (nf|ip)_conntrack.

This will help me polish up the more important areas ready to push this to beta as soon as possible, probably looking at 2-4 weeks timeframe.

Looking forward to the beloved LET feedback!

Comments

• Have you got a pricing scheme, if its open source will it be unencrypted?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Is this going to be open source?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Very interesting... Any website? How can we follow the project?

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    Have you got a pricing scheme, if its open source will it be unencrypted?

I would be worried if any open source project was actually encrypted, considering the whole idea of open source is to be able to view the source code. Do note this is programmed in Golang, not PHP so no ioncube bullcrap.

Regarding pricing scheme, if there was to ever be a pricing scheme it will be a reasonable price, few dollars a month per node if anything, with room for discounts.

@Awmusic12635 said:

This was initially coded to be apart of the control panel I'm currently developing (the monitoring side of it). Either way, it's still considered TBD, but like the control panel, I will offer a way for some kind of open source in either case.

@MikePT said:

Website is currently on the back burner, currently pouring all my resources into development. I'll try and get the website up in the coming days/weeks, but for now this thread will be it.

• @r0t3n said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

I would be worried if any open source project was actually encrypted, considering the whole idea of open source is to be able to view the source code. Do note this is programmed in Golang, not PHP so no ioncube bullcrap.

Regarding pricing scheme, if there was to ever be a pricing scheme it will be a reasonable price, few dollars a month per node if anything, with room for discounts.

@Awmusic12635 said:

This was initially coded to be apart of the control panel I'm currently developing (the monitoring side of it). Either way, it's still considered TBD, but like the control panel, I will offer a way for some kind of open source in either case.

@MikePT said:

Website is currently on the back burner, currently pouring all my resources into development. I'll try and get the website up in the coming days/weeks, but for now this thread will be it.

If it's to be opensource I'd drop some dollars in donations

• cirrus_cloudcirrus_cloud Member
    edited May 2017

Are you aware of this?

https://github.com/remy/nodemon

You might consider changing the name since there's something fairly popular with that name already.

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:

@r0t3n said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

@MikePT said:

Me too. I would like to donate if it were open source.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@cirrus_cloud said:
    Are you aware of this?

https://github.com/remy/nodemon

You might consider changing the name since there's something fairly popular with that name already.

Yes, I am aware of that. For now the name is nodemon for development purposes, and it is rather to the point, it monitors the node, I may consider changing it but its not really the end of the world, even if you google nodewatch you'll find the same situation.

@chocolateshirt said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Me too. I would like to donate if it were open source.

It is something I will seriously consider, I ideally do not want to have to split off an open source version as I do plan on tapping into the kernel for things and in that case open source is not worth it due to the ongoing support and development required. Sadly development takes time, time is money, and donations will only go so far to support the project long term.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Star marked this thread. Would love to help you in anyway possible.

Just a name suggestion: MonSpot (Monitor Spot?)

• I would suggest your project name into NodeVM

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

chocolateshirt said: I would suggest your project name into NodeVM

Or WatchMon. /s

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

Thanks for the name suggestions, seems node people just love naming file monitor after file monitor whatever I would like to name my project, even watchmon is a damn file monitor! :\

If anything, VirtMon seems feasible, no pesky node dev has jumped on that name... yet!

Thanked by 1perennate
  • cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

does this support xen and kvm virtualization? you know pv virtualization and xen-hvm virtualization for xen and kvm virtualization as well you know monitoring all 3 common virtualization types? xen,kvm,openvz? if so we would like to get involved in the project; by helping anyway needed.

• if it works for kvm pm me

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@cubedata said:
    does this support xen and kvm virtualization? you know pv virtualization and xen-hvm virtualization for xen and kvm virtualization as well you know monitoring all 3 common virtualization types? xen,kvm,openvz? if so we would like to get involved in the project; by helping anyway needed.

Its developed from the ground up to be virtualisation independent, with a modular design. In its base form, it can support any virtualisation as long as there is a collector module which can gather the resource information. The resource information is then passed into a module which does the resource checking, defined actions etc etc. Basically, it don't care where or how it gets its resource information, its designed to just process and act upon the information its fed from a collector module.

Openvz and KVM/qemu already has baked in support via the libvirt driver. I have not looked into if Libvirt can provide the required statistics for xen, if it can then also consider it already baked in.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@clickcloudit said:
    if it works for kvm pm me

It indeed will work with KVM. I'll PM you closer to beta stage, still a few weeks out.

• @cubedata said:

No offense, but it seems like you're trying to mooch off the project. (just saying) :I

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@doghouch said:

@cubedata said:

No offense, but it seems like you're trying to mooch off the project. (just saying) :I

actually I am not trying to mooch off anything
    It is his project and I am not going to involve myself anymore than the person wants me to.

• @cubedata said:

@doghouch said:

@cubedata said:

actually I am not trying to mooch off anything
    It is his project and I am not going to involve myself anymore than the person wants me to.

I kind of misread it. I didn't mean to sound like I had something against you; sowwy!

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

Howdy all,

Just thought I'd give a public update on progress for all those interested.

The beta date is being pushed back due to underestimating the amount of time and resources required to get this to work with the different control panels and their respective setups.

Not all control panels are using libvirt for certain hypervisor types, nor the same versions which is adding more complexity, so I am writing new collection modules for each hypervisor type. I still do not intend to pull any data from the CLI, and will use Go bindings as much as possible for performance.

I hope to get a beta out in around a months time, but no guarantees.

I am also adding XEN support, and will only be supporting the newest versions utilising the XL toolstack along with libxenlight.

• MadMad Member

@chocolateshirt said:
    I would suggest your project name into NodeVM

I own the domain .com though I would eventually be willing to let him use it in order to support the project.

• @andreamada said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    I would suggest your project name into NodeVM

I own the domain .com though I would eventually be willing to let him use it in order to support the project.

it's great..

Thanked by 1Mad