Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LeaseWeb 20 - 45% OFF - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LeaseWeb 20 - 45% OFF

Comments

• C0mpassC0mpass Member

Would the XL VPS be any good for a plex cloud setup? (Plex encoding)

• NihimNihim Member

Support confirmed that the discount is valid for as long as the contract is running.

Also thanks for the links!

Thanked by 1sin
  • nammdpnammdp Member

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 127 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 128 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 131 MB/s
    Average I/O : 128.667 MB/s

So slow.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

I/O is limited to ~1Gbps and IOPS = ~800

It is not slow but it is not as fast as direct attached storage could be.

Thanked by 2vimalware Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@ru_tld said:
    I/O is limited to ~1Gbps and IOPS = ~800

It is not slow but it is not as fast as direct attached storage could be.

but with reasonable limiting it's probably going to be a good balanced experience rather then having to cope with noisy neighbours ;-)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • sinsin Member
    edited May 2017

nammdp said: So slow.

How is that slow for a Sata hard drive? 128MB write is good for a single SATA drive.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

With sata drive you will barely reach even 100 iops.

• chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

Maybe not totally low end but I am totes freakin' out: 8x2TB SATA2 for 71.20 EUR a month with 10TB traffic included?? Sure the E5620 is no spring chicken but as a file serving box this is unparalleled in price /performance unless I am badly mistaken.

• NihimNihim Member
    edited May 2017

@chx said:

IMO with that disk size even with low traffic, as a non personal file server, you will run out of the 10T pretty fast.

• I did not notice the hard disk on their promo server till now. My SG server has 4 disks with more than 62k hours, and spent more than 10 hours just to check bad blocks in /dev/sda. Just wonder if I should keep the server. Do you think these disks are too old to operate properly?

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

@nhocconan said:
    I did not notice the hard disk on their promo server till now. My SG server has 4 disks with more than 62k hours, and spent more than 10 hours just to check bad blocks in /dev/sda. Just wonder if I should keep the server. Do you think these disks are too old to operate properly?

Yes, most definitely. In my experience, drives tend to fail not too long after their warranty expires. Assuming those are 5year warranty drives, 5 years is 43800 hours. There is no way of knowing how hard those drives were worked but why even take a chance.

I always ask for new or low hour drives when I get a new server. I would never accept drives with that many hours. I don't care what the price is. At least half the time they will try pawn off these high hour drives on me. I always push back. Sometimes they will grumble a bit about it but they will almost always switch them out for you.

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • @moonmartin said:

@nhocconan said:
    I did not notice the hard disk on their promo server till now. My SG server has 4 disks with more than 62k hours, and spent more than 10 hours just to check bad blocks in /dev/sda. Just wonder if I should keep the server. Do you think these disks are too old to operate properly?

Yes, most definitely. In my experience, drives tend to fail not too long after their warranty expires. Assuming those are 5year warranty drives, 5 years is 43800 hours. There is no way of knowing how hard those drives were worked but why even take a chance.

I always ask for new or low hour drives when I get a new server. I would never accept drives with that many hours. I don't care what the price is. At least half the time they will try pawn off these high hour drives on me. I always push back. Sometimes they will grumble a bit about it but they will almost always switch them out for you.

Thank you, I will do more test on these drives and will try to contact them to see if they can be replaced. 62k hours are too old I think. This is the first time I receive a server which that many hours.

• chxchx Member

@Nihim said:

@chx said:

IMO with that disk size even with low traffic, as a non personal file server, you will run out of the 10T pretty fast.

Good point. And it says Bandwidth : 10 TB (Volume) and "For servers on our Volume network, we apply € 0,05 per GB" which is awfully expensive! Hetzner bills 1.17 EUR per TB and this looks 50 EUR per TB.

edited May 2017

@nhocconan said:

@moonmartin said:

@nhocconan said:

Thank you, I will do more test on these drives and will try to contact them to see if they can be replaced. 62k hours are too old I think. This is the first time I receive a server which that many hours.

I have rejected drives with 20k hours. Especially if they are 3year warranty drives. No way would I accept 60k hours. Drives are by far the least reliable thing on a server. SSD is not always an option if you need large storage or lower cost.

Why play russian roulette with your drives? Providers will try pawn this old worn out hardware on you if you do not push back. It is very little effort and cost to them to give you drives with lower hours. They can always find some other sucker to pawn them off on. Don't let it be you.

A more reputable provider should never give you drives with that many hours in the first place.

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • @moonmartin said:

I have rejected drives with 20k hours. Especially if they are 3year warranty drives. No way would I accept 60k hours. Drives are by far the least reliable thing on a server. SSD is not always an option if you need large storage or lower cost.

Why play russian roulette with your drives? Providers will try pawn this old worn out hardware on you if you do not push back. It is very little effort and cost to them to give you drives with lower hours. They can always find some other sucker to pawn them off on. Don't let it be you.

A more reputable provider should never give you drives with that many hours in the first place.

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. I have just talked with them and they refused to replace these disks. I might consider to cancel it next billing period and I might continue with an OVH Singapore server instead with a bit more monthly cost ...

• UmairUmair Member

@nhocconan said:

Which server (specification) was that ?

• nhocconannhocconan Member
    edited May 2017

@Umair said:

@nhocconan said:

Which server (specification) was that ?

Here it is (S$79.99):

HP DL120G7
        2 cores/CPU
        4GB DDR3 RAM
        4x1TB SATA2
        10 TB traffic
        SIN-11 datacenter

Updated: they contacted me and told me that they can help to cancel the server at 31/5/2017 since I am a loyal customer and I only need to pay for the server till that date. It is really great experience and I love this action :-)

Thanked by 1Falzo
    edited May 2017

Looks like an end of life server they are trying to squeeze as many $'s out of as possible. With 4x1TB you could set up RAID10 or RAID1 with spares and be somewhat insulated.

You can get a brand new quad core Xeon OVH server with 32GB of RAM and brand new dual Intel 480GB SSD drives in Singapore for $99US. I wouldn't even bother messing around with this old worn out stuff with 4GB RAM but that's just me.

• sinsin Member

@amarc said:
    Does anyone have these in Frankfurt ? How does ISO library look there ? I know NL sucks with only FreeBSD and GRLM

You can install pretty much any OS you want with GRML or you can just open up the console and use iPXE that way and mount whatever iso.

example:
    https://gist.github.com/breyer/21f93473a6e7ccdcbabd4e661376ddac

• UmairUmair Member
    edited May 2017

Does this look like a 1Gbps connection speed to you ??

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is x.x.x.x

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        22.7MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          12.9MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       12.4MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       6.53MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       9.17MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       11.5MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          8.62MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       9.17MB/s

This is from LeaseWeb NL server

• NihimNihim Member

Well excluding the cachefly the US ones are okish and the Asia ones are ok. IMO always.

• UmairUmair Member

@Nihim said:
    Well excluding the cachefly the US ones are okish and the Asia ones are ok. IMO always.

Really?? on a different VPS in the same NL DC, I get better speeds and that VPS is limited to 250Mbps.

That cachefly speed has never crossed 24MB. (I have tested like 15 times during last few days) The only place from where I get 100MB is id3.net

• XeiXei Member

Agree with Nihim. That Cachefly though..is that a VPS or dedicated?

• UmairUmair Member

Well actually just compare above 1Gbps connection to this 250Mbps connection in NL with a different provider.

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        57.4MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          9.39MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       18.6MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       12.5MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       15.1MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       6.11MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          7.42MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       10.6MB/s

• UmairUmair Member

Doing a different speed test of LeaseWeb NL server.

[root@localhost ~]# wget x86.ca/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    System uptime :   7 days, 9:30,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 24.3MB/s
    Download speed from OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 9.4MB/s
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 8.9MB/s
    Download speed from ColoCrossing, Chicago, USA: 8.32MB/s
    Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 9.18MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Manassas, VA, USA: 9.1MB/s
    Download speed from Atlanta (10Gbps pipe), USA: 4.11MB/s
    Download speed from Volume Drive, Wilkes Barre, USA: 10.3MB/s
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 10.0MB/s
    Download speed from Incero, Dallas, USA: 7.16MB/s
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 7.82MB/s
    Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 8.32MB/s
    Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 64.6MB/s
    Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 69.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 101MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.80MB/s
    Download speed from Digital Ocean, Singapore: 4.57MB/s
    Download speed from iiNet, Perth, AU: 522KB/s

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited May 2017

@Umair said:
    Doing a different speed test of LeaseWeb NL server.

Same test on a LW NL VPS node

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.2.1 Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 2299.998 MHz Total amount of ram : 992 MB Total amount of swap : MB System uptime : 3 days, 21:33, Download speed from CacheFly: 113MB/s Download speed from OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 15.4MB/s Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 18.4MB/s Download speed from ColoCrossing, Chicago, USA: 9.15MB/s Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 15.0MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Manassas, VA, USA: 28.6MB/s Download speed from Atlanta (10Gbps pipe), USA: 26.2MB/s Download speed from Volume Drive, Wilkes Barre, USA: 25.8MB/s Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 12.2MB/s Download speed from Incero, Dallas, USA: 4.87MB/s Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 13.5MB/s Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 16.4MB/s Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 87.9MB/s Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 83.5MB/s Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 17.4MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 116MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.97MB/s Download speed from Digital Ocean, Singapore: 10.7MB/s Download speed from iiNet, Perth, AU: 4.66MB/s

You do have 1gbit connection, looking at the Leaseweb speedtest, I guess.

• UmairUmair Member

@caracal said:
    Same test on a LW NL VPS node

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.2.1 Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 2299.998 MHz Total amount of ram : 992 MB Total amount of swap : MB System uptime : 3 days, 21:33, Download speed from CacheFly: 113MB/s Download speed from OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 15.4MB/s Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 18.4MB/s Download speed from ColoCrossing, Chicago, USA: 9.15MB/s Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 15.0MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Manassas, VA, USA: 28.6MB/s Download speed from Atlanta (10Gbps pipe), USA: 26.2MB/s Download speed from Volume Drive, Wilkes Barre, USA: 25.8MB/s Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 12.2MB/s Download speed from Incero, Dallas, USA: 4.87MB/s Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 13.5MB/s Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 16.4MB/s Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 87.9MB/s Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 83.5MB/s Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 17.4MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 116MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.97MB/s Download speed from Digital Ocean, Singapore: 10.7MB/s Download speed from iiNet, Perth, AU: 4.66MB/s

You do have 1gbit connection, looking at the Leaseweb speedtest, I guess.

Well I do have 1gbit connection. That's for sure. But your speed test above and mine are way different. I mean, just have a look at CacheFly for example. 113MB/s vs 24MB/s

I do get 100MB/s+ from Leaseweb, Haarlem so the port is certainly 1Gbps.
    I am just concerned they have degraded bandwidth uplinks (or oversold too much) for their Dedicated server because the speed is certainly NOT what it should be for any decent network claiming 1Gbps connection.

I have send them a support ticket and waiting for their answer.

• caracalcaracal Member

I just realised that the VPS' from LW are on their premium bandwidth: this might be a reason?

Nonetheless, open a ticket?

Thanked by 1Umair
  • sinsin Member

Falzo said: just seen that there are no ISOs in their SFO location available...

I opened a ticket this morning asking for GRML rescue iso for their SFO VPSes so I could do custom OS installs and they added the ISO 30 min later :) should be available on yours.

• UmairUmair Member
    edited June 2017

@caracal said:
    I just realised that the VPS' from LW are on their premium bandwidth: this might be a reason?

Nonetheless, open a ticket?

So it took their network team 4 days to accept that the speed I am seeing are not OK. They changed something (not sure what) and speed is better now. Still not what I was hoping, but at least not in KBs anymore.

PS. I just got the memo that their 10TB BW limit included both incoming + outgoing.
    (so that means I will have to at least spend 25 euro more on BW usage) :(